Help! Turn signals and headlights wonky after rainstorm! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Help! Turn signals and headlights wonky after rainstorm!

I searched for this earlier but couldn't find anything specific to my problem. My wife drove the '07 JK home in the rainstorm we had here in VA on Friday and we didn't go back out until Sunday. When I fired up the Wrangler, I noticed her headlights and running lights had come on without me turning them on, and didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until I had to make my first turn out of the complex that I noticed her turn signals weren't flashing or clicking in either direction, left or right. I also noticed her interior gauges seemed to be dimmer than before (probably because it was daylight), and I couldn't turn her headlights or runners off unless I cut power to the engine.

I have her set up to go into the stealership Thursday morning, but it seems like either a relay, sensor, or more likely a fuse has gone out. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Just as an FYI, it's a stock Wrangler X, no mods, automatic, manual doors, cloth top. The top on the side gaskets have a tendency to leak onto the doors somewhat, and the driver's side door does not engage the interior lights or disengage the radio when I close it after driving (passenger side does tho). Suspect there may be a loose wire in there as well, probably got wet and fried something, although the door issue we've had for some time.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

in the steering wheel underneath the airbag is the clockspring which is wiring for everything attached to the wheel such as light switch n wiper switch, it doesnt like getting wet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Cool. So I'll pull out the JFSM and check, but it should be:

1: Disco neg battery cable.
2: Locate any screws holding the center steering wheel piece down (or just pop off the horn cover).
3: Remove the airbag or just move it far enough out of the way to get at the clockspring.

Now, would I need to remove the turn signal arm or just replace the clockspring, and how much for a replacement clockspring roughly?
post #5 of 12 Old 11-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake69 View Post
Cool. So I'll pull out the JFSM and check, but it should be:

1: Disco neg battery cable.
2: Locate any screws holding the center steering wheel piece down (or just pop off the horn cover).
3: Remove the airbag or just move it far enough out of the way to get at the clockspring.

Now, would I need to remove the turn signal arm or just replace the clockspring, and how much for a replacement clockspring roughly?
Whoa- the clockspring is not easy to simply "pull out and replace". This is something that I am certain needs to be worked on by a dealership or professional.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 12 Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Yup, I did some more reading and am getting the idea this is more involved than I'd probably like. I can wrench a good game but electrical stuff I'm not as savvy with. Someone on another forum talked about the clockspring as a recall for the '09's, since hers is an '07 I don't know if it'll apply.

Ohh, and supposed full replacement of the clockspring is around $500. Great.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Granite Guru

i had a similar problem, try unhooking the battery and touching the + and - wires together and then hooking the battery back up........fixed my junk, worth a shot

:MY STABLE

2015 JKU RUBI, BLACK, STICK, 40'S

HERS: 2015 JKU SPORT, AUTO, 35'S

DAUGHTERS: 2006 LIBBY, DIESEL, LIFT 32'S

I'm back to fuck shit up and drink red bull.......
post #8 of 12 Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckhouston View Post
i had a similar problem, try unhooking the battery and touching the + and - wires together and then hooking the battery back up........fixed my junk, worth a shot
Why does that sound dangerous to me?
post #9 of 12 Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's not... My rear wiper was giving me some problem... disconnected the positive and negative from the battery hold them together for 30 seconds or so, hook it all back up and all fixed.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

I had a power module go on me and experienced some of your same issues. My wipers were stuck on though as well. I have an 08, don't know if that would differ. My dash lights were totally off, including odometer. Had to have the dealer replace it.

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #11 of 12 Old 11-18-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Well got lucky. The work was under warranty and the problem turned out to be a "malfunction switch" (which I suspect is a "malfunctioning" switch) a.k.a. relay in the steering wheel column. The relay ties into the turn signal arm on the steering wheel and controls high beam/low beam, headlights, and turn signals as well as interior and dash lighting. When this relay switch gets wet (which apparently was the issue), it can cause all sorts of things to happen to your lights, blinkers, etc..., like where my headlamps came on immediately upon starting the vehicle, and no "clicking sound" or blinking lights for turn signals. The hazards worked fine though, of course they're on a different relay switch.

Last edited by Drake69; 11-18-2009 at 01:03 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-27-2009, 10:27 PM

Drake, I had the exact same problem happen to me this morning. Lights came on when they weren't suppose to, turn signals didn't work and my dash/radio lights were dim but would blink bright every few seconds. My JK is also an 07 unlimited with hardtop, and manual everything. I bought mine used from a Jeep dealership, so hopefully it will still be under warranty. If not, does anyone know the exact part and if it is something I can replace myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode