Help; LED 3rd brake light and license plate light issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

LED 3rd brake light and license plate light issue

I recently built A tramp stamp license plate mount for my 2012 jku. When I wired it up I just spliced the license plate led into the tail lights so it came on when the lights were on. But it caused my brake lights to stay on when the head lights were on. So I rewired it over to the factory wire for the original plate lights. Same issue. Any thoughts on why and how to fix this? Sorry if this has been addressed before, I could't find it.

I know on some after market led tail lights they'll cause your blinkers to blink fast because the amps don't match up. This is the only thing I can think but really doesn't make sense seeing how I haven't reduced amps or anything. I'm wondering if one of those cheap reducers would work that you need for tail lights that blink fast.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by wheelenwagon; 05-08-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Wheeler

When I wired up my LED license plate relocation to the spare, I spliced the power for the license plate to my LED taillight on the passenger side and the brake wire I spliced into the factory third taillight after chopping that eyesore off. Haven't had any problems.

2012 JK Sport, 6 Speed, Hard Top, 3" Fox lift, K&N CAI, Pioneer and Kicker Upgrade, 35" MT/R's, 15" TKO's, Sleeved and gusseted, RSE rear w/carrier, PSC Bombshells front and rear, gas mileage- dropping
post #3 of 6 Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFJK View Post
When I wired up my LED license plate relocation to the spare, I spliced the power for the license plate to my LED taillight on the passenger side and the brake wire I spliced into the factory third taillight after chopping that eyesore off. Haven't had any problems.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, it sounds like what I did. I ran the hot for the license plate over to the original license plate wire and spliced them to each other. then spliced my brake light to the old third brake wire. I don't know why it's not working right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Wheeler

I ran the hot to the running light on the passenger side and not all the way to the factory license plate wiring.

2012 JK Sport, 6 Speed, Hard Top, 3" Fox lift, K&N CAI, Pioneer and Kicker Upgrade, 35" MT/R's, 15" TKO's, Sleeved and gusseted, RSE rear w/carrier, PSC Bombshells front and rear, gas mileage- dropping
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Is it possible that you wired the third brake light to the license-plate circuit by mistake? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the third brake light to stay on whenever the headlights are on.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFJK View Post
I ran the hot to the running light on the passenger side and not all the way to the factory license plate wiring.
I ran it there first. It made my brake lights stay on when the head lights were on. So I wired it all the way over to the original license plate wiring and still did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Is it possible that you wired the third brake light to the license-plate circuit by mistake? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the third brake light to stay on whenever the headlights are on.
It's not the third brake light that stays on, it is the jeep factory brake lights that stay on when the head lights are on.

I don't know whats going on. I can't understand how it would make them come on either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode