Left Top Off And It Rained - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-26-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Left Top Off And It Rained

Anyone ever do this. I left the freedom top panels off my 2011 jku and passed out, well my luck there was a freak rain storm and well it got soaked. I woke up and dried the seats and and all. Everyone thing seemed to work fine. I put the heated seats on and plugged my iphone into the 115 spot and all was well.

Then about 5 mins later the airbag light came on and now the horn, blinkers, steering wheel controls (except the cruise control), and the buttons for the heated seats and 115 adapter don't work. I drove it for about a half hour and the air bag light shut off but the other stuff still does not work.

I drove it about an hour and a half today and then let it sit for about 3 hours and checked but still no luck

How screwed am I and it is a freaking jeep I thought it would be better built for accidents like this

Thanks Gregg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 07:03 AM
Rock God

That is odd. Mine gets wet several times and I've never had any of those issues. Maybe start by checking for blown fuses and go from there.

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #3 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah even with my top on my stearing colom gets soaked in a good downpour

and have never had any of those issues that could not be atributed to the clock spring

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

It’s time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Let’s get it together, America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

If you have a dehumidifier run it in the back of the Jeep overnight. Should be bone dry in the morning. Ask me how I know?

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well that was short lived. It was kinda working on my way to work but it was intermittent. The horn and steering wheel controls were still not working. Then it just got weird the place where the digital compass displays just showed -- and nothing else. Plus then nothing worked. Drove home after work after not not driving for 9 hours and it was just dead again. I guess it is done again
post #6 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 05:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Your clockspring is fried. You have all the classic symptoms.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Do I have to take it to a dealer or can my local mechanic fix this. I really don't have a grand to shell out
post #8 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 05:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshaw34 View Post
Do I have to take it to a dealer or can my local mechanic fix this. I really don't have a grand to shell out

You can do it yourself. Order the part online for about $215 or so shipped. Search JKO for the clockspring write up. You can do it.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I wish I could do it myself but I am not any good at stuff like this and would wind up breaking it more.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

from may-sept I run topless and doorless rain or shine. throw contractor bags over the seats and carry a set of frogg-toggs.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #11 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I learned my lesson the hard way. I had a 2008 JKU and it had nothing so I had no issue leaving the top off in the rain. I am always good about closing it if there is a thunderstorms but this time I was out cold by 9pm and woke up at 6 and the damage was done
post #12 of 19 Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Wheeler

i run topless almost all year Feb-Oct and rain happens, i carry a Rampage cover with me most of the time but if there is no room i just throw a towel over the radio and steering wheel, pull the floor plugs cause i dont have carpet and im good to go, of course im in Texas and the weather changes every hour.

Originally quoted by :White13JKUR
My favorite was the time at the ATM when I hopped out of the jeep and a hot soccer mom immediately approached me and asked in a friendly voice: “How many inches do you have?” Then, when I looked to see that she too had jumped out of a stock jeep similar to mine, I responded with confidence : “3.5 inches”
post #13 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Wheeler

Your jeep IS your dehumidifier.

(Assuming you put the tops back on)

Just turn on the A\C, set it all the way to max on HEAT, and push the cycle air button, close the doors and windows and let it idle for a couple of hours. I've done this through the years on a few vehicles and it work like a charm, keeps the rig from starting to smell funky. The carpet, floorboard, seats, and inards will be bones dry.

I did this with some wet boots and socks and clothes for 2 people last week and it dried them bone dry, whereas it would have taken at least till the next day just for the clothes, the boots wouldn't have dried out at all.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Fun View Post
Your jeep IS your dehumidifier.

(Assuming you put the tops back on)

Just turn on the A\C, set it all the way to max on HEAT, and push the cycle air button, close the doors and windows and let it idle for a couple of hours. I've done this through the years on a few vehicles and it work like a charm, keeps the rig from starting to smell funky. The carpet, floorboard, seats, and inards will be bones dry.

I did this with some wet boots and socks and clothes for 2 people last week and it dried them bone dry, whereas it would have taken at least till the next day just for the clothes, the boots wouldn't have dried out at all.
Perhaps this is worth considering when camping, or as a one-time deal if you don't own a dehumidifier. But you're using a $27K+ vehicle instead of a $99 appliance to achieve the same purpose, probably burning $8 of gasoline instead of $2 of electricity doing it this way.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #15 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Wheeler

Maybe, but I'm not going to Sears to buy a $99 dehumidifier to save $6 either. The vents in the truck move a lot more air to the floorboard and seats and back of the truck than a dehumidifier, and you'd have to idle a jeep a hella long time to burn through 2 full gallons of gasoline. But let's say you did, it's EIGHT DOLLARS, you can barely get s burger at McDonalds for $8, let alone a trip to Red Robin. If $6 or $8 is that precious than you'd better sell that jeep and get something more affordable after all, and stop leaving your tops off. To each his own.

And you really don't have to quote the person directly above you, but again, to each his own.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Granite Guru

I hope everything works out for you. That scares me about running top off during monsoon season.
There wa this guy that put a video up running tucson wash waters, it was pouring into jeep from over head..crazy stuff.
found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Y6lFZ9ib8

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.

Last edited by bass5money; 07-14-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Wheeler

I had this happen to me last year and the radio, horn, and several other electrical things did not work - or worked once in awhile. I unplugged the battery, disconnected the radio (had to pull out dash), and replaced a few fuses. Then reconnected it all and worked ever since. Guess it just needed to reset itself.

2013 Commando Green JKU - Magnaflow CatBack, AFE Cold Air, Lift and Tires after warranty runs out....!

post #18 of 19 Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Clock-Spring just went bad

Just had this happen to me.

Jeep JK 2015

Been leaving the top off quite a bit. Got caught in two storms, drove home and then couldn't turn lights off, then windshield wipers nor controls on steering wheel did not work and the display on my dash was showing airbag light and i think the temp displayed an error.

Brought into dealer, was under warranty and they replaced. Never told them obviously about getting caught in two storms.

So any suggestions? I have a soft-top but putting that on by myself is a pain, takes me about 20 min, when i can get someone to hold one side up.

Any suggestions on a possible type of soft-top I can keep in the jeep that's super easy to throw on, even if it just cover the front 2 seats, where all the electronics are located.

Thanks!
post #19 of 19 Old 07-16-2017, 03:36 PM
Wheeler

after being caught in a particularly heavy downpour with the top down and doors off, the horn would randomly go off. not the ideal thing to happen while driving in traffic, but it eventually dried out and all was good lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode