rippmods sprintbooster write up - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607
rippmods sprintbooster write up

not sure where to put this. but has anyone read their final review of this thing? sounds like it is worth the money, I hate being scared to jump out in traffic or try to pass someone due to the fact that you never know if it is going to be pep ready or drag a$$ and just piss you off. they made it sound like stacking a tuner with it would gain even more hp than the 7 that they found due to the converter locking up sooner. might be on my xmas list...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
not sure where to put this. but has anyone read their final review of this thing? sounds like it is worth the money, I hate being scared to jump out in traffic or try to pass someone due to the fact that you never know if it is going to be pep ready or drag a$$ and just piss you off. they made it sound like stacking a tuner with it would gain even more hp than the 7 that they found due to the converter locking up sooner. might be on my xmas list...
huh? are you saying Rippmods company tested that sprintbooster thing that is supposed to get rid of throttle lag?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #3 of 28 Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

yup, im on my cell right now or I would copy and paste it, but since I've been whacked with the ban hammer I can't use the search to get back to it easily. but rippmods updated it around 9pm if you want to look for it. thay really seemed to like it and will now be a vendor for it. there were also the hints of a group buy. I would like their end results of it stacked with a tuner. the lag really drives me nuts, and for those that say you just need to push the pedal harder, bs, mine doesn't conform. if no one copy and pastes the write up by the am I will do it then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

here ya'll go:

Sponsoring Manufacturer

Default Sprintbooster Testing

So in testing with two Sprint Booster units we feel that it’s worth the investment – The idea of a plug and play item that truly delivers on its promise makes us think of snake oil - but we feel for the JK these units merit praise.
When we contacted them, we explained who we are and what we do, and they were familiar with us and were rather impressed we called – we were clear in stating that we’d only promote product that we feel works after we test it. They were happy to give us two units to test with for a period of 20days – no questions asked. If we didn’t like them we could send them back and they would pick up the tab.

When you first plug in a sprint booster you can immediately feel that the engine responds better and is eager to please. Driving a sprint booster equipped JK is truly a different experience in that you actually have to learn how to drive it all over again… the throttle mapping is much more aggressive – whereas when you step on the gas instead of having to dig into the throttle and wait and wait for something to happen (as if it’s working against you) the throttle seems like its switched sides and it now working for you. Think of it as a “Sport” button – like those found in a Porsche or an M3, when its plugged in, its on!

They didn’t promise us any HP gains but we were ready to test that anyway. A stock JK produces 135whp peak – the Sprit boost didn’t produce anymore peak power however at lower RPM’s it delivered 7 more HP because the converter locked up earlier… this translates to a more responsive transmission.

The last thing we did was test it in conjunction with a Hypertech Max Energy – those of you with a Superchips unit can rest assured this will only add to your experience, because this adds throttle mapping on top of the given upgrade – whatever you do on the ECU side this makes it better… this is sensory tuning not ECU tuning so your filtering the mapping through the units making the ECU tuning react even faster.

After all the in-house testing was done (and two weeks of driving) we took them out just to make sure we weren’t crazy – sure enough we were back to the lazy throttle. We then installed it in a bone stock JK telling the owner nothing – not setting any expectations or precursors, a pure blind test. We simply asked that he report back if he felt a difference likes or dislikes. We immediately got a call asking us what we did, he wanted to know how he made his JK faster – he said the first time he hit the gas in traffic he almost hit the car in front of him – and the passing power was noticeably different – we’ve asked him to come back with no luck – Good for him lol!

All-in-all NA JK’s will find this a worthwhile investment – Supercharged JK’s will find it may be a bit intrusive at times because the guys who mapped the units didn’t take into account the added air volume the blower brings. We’ve discussed options with them and they are eager to listen to our techs… we will be adding this to our webstore as we feel it’s worth the time and effort…. No snake oil here!
If anyone is interested we can do a group buy on it

Questions always welcome

RIPPTECH

RIPPTECH
Staten Island NY 10305
718-442-4723
WWW.RIPPMODS.COM
[email protected]
Last edited by RIPPMODS; Yesterday at 04:07 PM.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #5 of 28 Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Rock God

Send me one I will test it for you for free.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #6 of 28 Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
JKO Addict!

If that is true, then It sounds like it will help a 6 speed too. I want one with a superchip stacked.!!
post #7 of 28 Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It would be interesting to see a test with Superchips installed first, then the addition of the sprintbooster.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Granite Guru

We should just do a Group Buy here and get it over with. I could respect saving a little on this expensive item. Or we could buy one, tear it apart, and see how they do it.

2009 JK Rubicon:
post #9 of 28 Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
JKO Addict!

It talks about converter lockup. I have a manual so I wonder if it will help near as much. And I have the Superchips so I'm still skeptical. I understand what it does, but just don't know if it's worth 300 bucks.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Granite Guru

Jp mag. did a review of this in their recent issue and said it worked pretty good. Said their jk with with the automatic and stock engine would now spin 35's on the pavement. They actually had problems spinning them so much and ahad to ease off the throttle a little when pulling out. I definately want one, but at $300.00 is a little steep.
post #11 of 28 Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Granite Guru

how does this thing install? through the OBD2 port? and if so, does it need to stay plugged in?
post #12 of 28 Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quadratec sells it..

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17...gsc=QSHOPGBASE

Installation
1. Loosen the accelerator pedal module from the floorboard.
2. Unplug the harness from the accelerator module.
3. Plug in the SprintBooster inline with the harness and accelerator module.
4. Re-install the accelerator module.
5. That's it!

Edit: You can go here..
http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/default.aspx

And click on free trial from a dealer in your area.. I wish one was close to me..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.

Last edited by benmar2000; 11-17-2009 at 11:51 AM.
post #13 of 28 Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Let me know about the group buy.

Evo Coilovers, King Shocks & B-stops, R Dbl Throwdown System, 5:13, RE Driveshafts,
Rock Hard Skids. Viair Tank, LoD F&R Bumpers, PowerPlant, 3 Oddessy Batteries, Pro Comp 8128 17"
BFG T/A KO 37s, MasterPull Syn, sPOD, OTRATTW Switches, 12VOLTGUY.com Switchpanel, Woods Evap & Muff Relocate, Tailgate Holder
post #14 of 28 Old 11-17-2009, 02:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

duh deleted my post because I was an idiot and read the graph wrong.
it allows your throttle to open 1 tenth (.1) of a second faster, with all of the gain happening in the last 2/3 of the throttle cycle
for $330?
what a deal

maybe for $50 as a novelty or something but I'd put that money elsewhere long before I did this.

Maybe I'm wrong and its the best thing since sliced bread in a bag, but I don't see how it could really make that much of a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.

Last edited by venom; 11-17-2009 at 03:01 PM.
post #15 of 28 Old 11-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Granite Guru

It hooks up between your gas pedal and your wiring harness since their is no actual throttle cable on the JK. So all the input from it is before your comuter. I imagine that it is only a few resistors and a op-amp I.C. or something of the sort judging by the size of the module.
post #16 of 28 Old 11-18-2009, 06:16 AM
Rock God

Plus a company that sells it doing the testing on it? That's like Woyoflifette saying how much the ORE coilover kit is loved, Fox news saying how great the Republicans are, CNN saying how great the Democrats are and nine out of ten dentists prefering Trident. I'd have to drive it myself and hear from a few non-economically tied users before I'd consider this.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #17 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Hi guys -

We can answer question regarding the units funtionality.

Firstly we did not intend to sell this unit and there was no back door deal.

We responded to the other communities request for testing - so we gave them a call to see if they would call our bluff.

Once we got it - we tested with it - believe me we hate that it works as it does because its such a neat idea. WE TOOK IT OUT NAD PUT IT BACK in, tossed it over to clients and even Just put one it without the clients antisapation.... All were thumbs up.... 6spd and Auto.

It remaps the throttle swing which by default remaps the ECU load - and that by default reworks the auto trans settings. We are advocates of deflective tuning and getting the factory sensory to work with you not against you and this is one of those products.

Hence the endoursement.

It will work with any ECU manipulation because its before the ECU -do you need it - Yes, if you would like even more throttle responce than you added with your superchip or hypertec... no if your content. Those of you sceptical rest assured RIPP is ethical enough not to take an important jeep community for a ride with a $329 item.

Questions welcome
RIPPTECH
post #18 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Rock God

Mebbe one'll show up at EJS. I'd have to drive it to believe it.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #19 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 12:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ripp how many have you guys sold and has anyone returned it within the 30days? just curious, I have and love my superchips

Quote:

post #20 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Granite Guru

Question

Will this get rid of the throttle lag on the manual trans too?

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"
post #21 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
.. All were thumbs up.... 6spd and Auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider View Post
Will this get rid of the throttle lag on the manual trans too?
did u read that? lol

I dont think it would be worth buying this even if it works unless its to run with the aev procal or superchips. Makes no sense to spend 329 on something that only does one thing, if u dont have one that does the others already.

Quote:

post #22 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
did u read that? lol

I dont think it would be worth buying this even if it works unless its to run with the aev procal or superchips. Makes no sense to spend 329 on something that only does one thing, if u dont have one that does the others already.
That is one thing that keeps me from wanting to buying it.. $329 for a chip, plugs, wires and plastic.. Total cost of materials is maybe $10 or so.. WAY TOO MUCH MARK UP!!!

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #23 of 28 Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 AM

Sounds like RIPPMODS did an unbiased eval. Nonetheless, anyone here pony up the $$?
post #24 of 28 Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 AM
Rock God

yeah i have one.. i also have a ripp supercharger... works great together.. really makes a big difference ,i was surprised... it has two setting.. with the supercharger i have it on the lower setting.. the full setting is too much with the supercharger... but really does get rid of the lag.. i was impressed. is alittle pricey but it does work makes your JK feel like it has more power... even if it dosent. i think it is worth the money.
post #25 of 28 Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Wheeler

Is there a group buy from RIPP or not? I did'nt see it anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode