Help! ARb OBA and sPOD - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help! ARb OBA and sPOD

I just installed the ARB OBA and ran into a little trouble with the wiring. I'm hooking it up to the sPOD so I need help. A few questions.

1. There are 2 plugs coming out of the harness for the solenoids for the airlockers. I don't have air lockers. So do I just ignore those 2 plugs?

2. Since the sPOD has relays and fuses, should I still use the relay and fuse the ARB came with?

3. Since I'm not using the switch and switch harness supplied by ARB, which wires do I have to connect to close the circuit?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Tiburon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
I just installed the ARB OBA and ran into a little trouble with the wiring. I'm hooking it up to the sPOD so I need help. A few questions.

1. There are 2 plugs coming out of the harness for the solenoids for the airlockers. I don't have air lockers. So do I just ignore those 2 plugs?

2. Since the sPOD has relays and fuses, should I still use the relay and fuse the ARB came with?

3. Since I'm not using the switch and switch harness supplied by ARB, which wires do I have to connect to close the circuit?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Tiburon
I don't own either of those products, but I do know a little about 12V electrics.

#1. I'd say ignore them.

#2. You should be able to just wire straight from the SPOD "Source" to the compressor.

#3. See #2.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

W. Squ, thanks for the quick response. I wired the harnes part that the instructions say to wire to the battery, to the sPOD, pos to pos, neg to neg. sPOD already has relays and switches. The harnes has a part branching off that is supposed to be routed into the cab for a switch, however sPOD is already has switches, so I'm wondering if I have to close the cicuit on the part of the harness that is supposed to go plugged into the switch.

Thanks, Tiburon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Rock God

I have the same setup as you....

1)I just taped them up and ignored them

2)John at sPod says you don't have to, but I did anyway, but you do NOT have to

3)sPod makes a wiring harness specifically for the big ARB compressor. If this is the one that you are using, I suggest simply ordering it from sPod...makes things mucho easier, if you are using the small compressor, I guess just wire the positive and negative power lines directly to the sPod, job done...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #5 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yoda, thanks, I will be odering the harness from sPOD. I hooked it up directly to the sPOD and It doesn't work. Tomorrow I will go out there with a continuity tester and sart checking connections. Thanks for the sPOD harness info, i wasn'rt aware of that.

Tiburon
post #6 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

By looking at the image of the sPOD ARB harness it looks like all I have to do is ignore the wires for the lockers and run the black and red wires on the switch harness back to the sPOD, that's how the circuit is closed. I can do this Will try tomorrow.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
W. Squ, thanks for the quick response. I wired the harnes part that the instructions say to wire to the battery, to the sPOD, pos to pos, neg to neg. sPOD already has relays and switches. The harnes has a part branching off that is supposed to be routed into the cab for a switch, however sPOD is already has switches, so I'm wondering if I have to close the cicuit on the part of the harness that is supposed to go plugged into the switch.

Thanks, Tiburon
I don't know exactly what the ARB harness is designed to do, or how it's set up, so I'll refrain from providing any further advice. At this point I think it'd be a little like trying to tell you how to hang a picture straight while I'm wearing a blindfold
post #8 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 12:00 AM
JKowners Vendor

sPOD and the ARB system

Tiburon,
There is no easy answer for the ARB attachment to the sPOD's Source because of the way the ARB harness works in conjunction with their solenoids and switches. With that being said, we developed an adapter harness to eliminate their switches and harness (up to 16 wires and 3 switches) from the solenoids and compressor that route into the cab of your Jeep while not cutting or tapping into the ARB harness.
I would still recommend attaching their power leads as per their instructions to the battery and use our adapter harness only to bypass their switches to activate their solenoids and relays. The main reason for doing it this way by using our adapter is that if some day you decide to add the locker option, it will make the transition seamless.
ARB's system works in a very specific way in conjunction with the compressor & solenoids so if you bypass the wrong switch wires, you jeopardize losing your warranty on the ARB system and possibly damaging it.

Let me know exactly what part number your compressor is and I will verify the specs for you.

A copy of our instructions:

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #9 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

John, thanks for the info. The part number on my ARB is CKMA12.

Edmundo
post #10 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPOD-guy View Post
Tiburon,
There is no easy answer for the ARB attachment to the sPOD's Source because of the way the ARB harness works in conjunction with their solenoids and switches. With that being said, we developed an adapter harness to eliminate their switches and harness (up to 16 wires and 3 switches) from the solenoids and compressor that route into the cab of your Jeep while not cutting or tapping into the ARB harness.
I would still recommend attaching their power leads as per their instructions to the battery and use our adapter harness only to bypass their switches to activate their solenoids and relays. The main reason for doing it this way by using our adapter is that if some day you decide to add the locker option, it will make the transition seamless.
ARB's system works in a very specific way in conjunction with the compressor & solenoids so if you bypass the wrong switch wires, you jeopardize losing your warranty on the ARB system and possibly damaging it.

Let me know exactly what part number your compressor is and I will verify the specs for you.

A copy of our instructions:
Ahh, I actually did it right...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #11 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Followed John's (sPOD) advice and connected the main harness directly to the battery and ran the black and red wires from the switch harness to the sPOD. I have air!

Now that I have your attention John. When i connect my KC 130 watt lights that come with a switch harness, do I connect it the same way, main harness to battery and switch harness to the spod, or can I just ignore the switch harness and connect directly to sPOD, and if so, do I use the 15 amp fuse or the 30 amp fuse? Thank you in advance.

Edmundo
post #12 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yes on meeting the demand of the accessory.
just as long as it does not exceed 30 amps per circuit.

Amps = Total Watts / Volts
in your case:
3 x 55watt lights = 165
165 / 12 = 13.75 amps

This an example of what I did with my hood bar.
Thanks to johns help.

And you could change out all the fuses to 30 amps and not worry about which switch to use. Just as long you AMP load is not exceeded.

Last edited by andrelopez99; 11-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
Yes on meeting the demand of the accessory.
just as long as it does not exceed 30 amps per circuit.

Amps = Total Watts / Volts
in your case:
3 x 55watt lights = 165
165 / 12 = 13.75 amps

This an example of what I did with my hood bar.
Thanks to johns help.

And you could change out all the fuses to 30 amps and not worry about which switch to use. Just as long you AMP load is not exceeded.
Andre, yes I can connect the main harness directly to the sPOD, or yes I should connect it to the batterys and connect the switch harness to the sPOD? Thanks for your input.

Edmundo
post #14 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Kc lights 130 * 2 = 260
260/12 = 21.7 amps

you run your light directly to the source without kc wiring harness. Make sure amp fuse is 30. I'll send you a pic of my set up wit ARB and lights. Just give me a bit.

Last edited by andrelopez99; 11-08-2009 at 10:51 AM.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Great, thanks for the info, I wasn't sure from your first post. Also, the formula for figuring the amperage clears it up for me. Now, not only do I know that I can hook up the lights directly to the sPOD, but I also understand why. I love JKO!
post #16 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

http://gallery.me.com/andrelopez99#100022

The yellow and black wires in holding are running to my hood light bar. Let me know if this helps

Last edited by andrelopez99; 11-08-2009 at 12:12 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 PM
JKO Addict!

FWIW - I'm running the CKMA12 and the sPOD. The compressor is hooked up to to the sPOD without using the addtional harness. I have this piece but it is not needed if you aren't running lockers. Compressor power comes from the battery but the compressor is switched on via the sPOD.

I'm also running for PIAA lights via the sPOD. Hooked directly up to the Source. No need to run wires to the battery.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
http://gallery.me.com/andrelopez99#100022

The yellow and black wires in holding are running to my hood light bar. Let me know if this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
FWIW - I'm running the CKMA12 and the sPOD. The compressor is hooked up to to the sPOD without using the addtional harness. I have this piece but it is not needed if you aren't running lockers. Compressor power comes from the battery but the compressor is switched on via the sPOD.

I'm also running for PIAA lights via the sPOD. Hooked directly up to the Source. No need to run wires to the battery.
Thanks guys, the pics helped. I will cut off the harness from the lights and just run the Black and red wires to the sPOD, it can't get any easier than that. Big thanks to everyone for their input. ARB is pumping air and would have had window auxiliary lights today, but I ordered the wrong security nuts and I'm not going to install them with out security nuts, I live in New York.

Edmundo
Tiburon
post #19 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
JKowners Vendor

Ed,
You can toss their relays, fuses, and switches and run the wire leads directly from the lights! Just connect the two sets to one circuit on the Source and go inside and flip a switch and Wala! Your done!

Quote:
Followed John's (sPOD) advice and connected the main harness directly to the battery and ran the black and red wires from the switch harness to the sPOD. I have air!

Now that I have your attention John. When i connect my KC 130 watt lights that come with a switch harness, do I connect it the same way, main harness to battery and switch harness to the spod, or can I just ignore the switch harness and connect directly to sPOD, and if so, do I use the 15 amp fuse or the 30 amp fuse? Thank you in advance.

Edmundo

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode