CB problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

CB problem

Hey guys...

I had a question regarding an issue I am having with my CB.

Immediately following installation of my Cobra 25 LTD classic w 4ft Firestick antenna II, (this was last summer) It seemed to function fine (at least from what I could assess, as CB's should, with the little knowledge I have regarding how CB's work). After installation, we did not do a SWR tune, as we did not have a meter at the time. As of now, the antenna remains untuned.

A friend of my essentially did the install, while I helped and learned what I could (my knowledge of electrical stuff is very minimal). I were able to converse back and forth in his driveway before I left his apt that night after install. I was also getting some input on different channels as I drove home that night. Since I would be using this only on trail rides, I assumed that all was well.

Then life happened, I got a new job, blah blah. And I did not drive my JK for many months. Through the winter, it essentially sat in my driveway.So after installation, the CB was not used at all.

Today, I took a drive, turned on the CB, and nothing. As I scrolled through all the channels, not a single voice came through. What gives?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 AM
Granite Guru

Do you get static if you turn the squelch all the way down?
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

So apparently my initial CB problems lied in my squelch being turned all the way down! DOH! Goes to show how much I know

Anyways, now, I seem to have another issue regarding tuning my antenna

I got my hands on an SWR meter. On all of the channels I am getting readings of 4-4.5 SWR. What can I do to resolve the issue?

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

You need to find which end of the spectrum the SWR is high and which is low, then establish a curve across the spectrum. If you find the SWR is lower on a low channel, you need to tune your antenna longer. If the SWR is lower on a high channel, you need to tune your antenna shorter. Keep adjusting until you get the SWR to 1.5:1 or less at the center of the channel spectrum. If it won't come down, you may have a bad antenna ground, or a shorted coax. Just be careful that you don't leave the mic keyed too long when the SWR is high or you can burn out the final amplifier transistors.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-07-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Hoping someone here could help me.

I have my antenna tuned to a good swr. Went wheeling today, and for whatever reason,i am able to hear all transmissions, but no one is able to hear me.

What gives? Bad mic?

post #6 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

bump, anyone?

post #7 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Could be a bad mic, but not too likely if it was new and functioning at the install. I know before you said the SWR was around 4.5-5. Did you transmit much with it that high? If so, your final RF amplifiers could be burnt. When you set the SWR, did you check the actual Watts of power out? SWR is a ratio and says nothing about how much power the radio is actually putting out. You could have great SWR and only a 5 milliwatt output. If that's the case, nobody's gonna hear you. You should expect about a 4 watt output. If you don't have it, your radio is probably toast.

If you have a friend who could help you, you could test the range of your transmitter by gradually moving farther from each other until your signal can't be received anymore. If that distance is less than a mile or so, you definitely have a problem. If it's only a few hundred feet, you have a more serious problem.

If you establish that the radio is actually putting out the standard ~4 watts, then the issue may possibly be antenna placement. Didn't notice if you said how and where it is mounted, but the tub and other metallic components can actually shield the signal and cause exactly the effect you are describing. First step is to measure output, then go from there.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #8 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

The positive wire on the power cord has a fuse, would this fuse potential prevent the amplifiers from be burnt out?

post #9 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Rock God

Not likely. Amps burn up when they can't transmit their power, like through poorly connected antennas or no antenna.
Clean up all the connections. It might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode