No power to half of fuse box?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews
Unhappy No power to half of fuse box??

I tried installing a wiring kit for trailer lights, no splicing, just plug and play. Tried testing it and noticed my rear blinkers weren't working. Wasn't sure if this was a pre-existing issue or not, but I uninstalled the light kit anyway and checked the bulbs. The left bulb was a bit cracked and clouded so I drove to the shop and got a replacement. Changed it right there in the parking lot and it still wasn't working. I thought...it might be a fuse since there was some moisture in the housing for the light. Pulled and checked and the fuses looked ok. Go to start the Jeep and NOTHING! I have to have it towed home and I started testing the fuses with a circuit tester. I'm not getting any power to half the fuse block. If anyone could please point me in the right direction as to what may be causing this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! 2009 Wrangler X

This problem has been fixed! Thanks! Now just back to the ORIGINAL problem of no power to rear blinkers/ brake lights. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Last edited by JessicaBlack; 04-20-2014 at 09:35 AM.
JessicaBlack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Age: 29
Posts: 155
Feedback: 0 reviews

Think of your fuse box as an electric panel in your house. The power comes straight from your battery. It is connected to a metal sheeting that runs to each fuse. Pull open your fuse box and see if something is disconnected. Make sure that your + and - feeds are secure to the battery and to the fuse box.

Is it one half of the fuse box or is it scattered around?
ajpboss90 is offline  
post #3 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

Scattered around. Some of the fuses have no power (even with the key in on position). Some are fine.
JessicaBlack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

headlights, tail lights, radio work fine
no cranking what so ever
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #5 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
Scattered around. Some of the fuses have no power (even with the key in on position). Some are fine.
Not all fuses are powered with the key on. Some need to have the item they protect turned on.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
ronjenx is offline  
post #6 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

The only reason I suspect the fuses is because other than disconnecting and reconnecting the tail light and changing the bulb, the fuses were the only thing I touched. Then the Jeep which always started fine just wouldn't start. No cranking at all. I did hear a slight clicking in the fuse box, but that's it.
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #7 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
The only reason I suspect the fuses is because other than disconnecting and reconnecting the tail light and changing the bulb, the fuses were the only thing I touched. Then the Jeep which always started fine just wouldn't start. No cranking at all. I did hear a slight clicking in the fuse box, but that's it.
See if the slight clicking you hear is the relay marked Starter Motor in the picture. If it is, check fuse J17. That's the one which sends power through the relay and on to the solenoid on the starter.

There are quite a few things that will cause a no start situation. This is a place to start since you want to check fuses.


2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
ronjenx is offline  
post #8 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

That's a helpful diagram thanks. I've already tried switching the starter relay out and no change. I don't have anyone to listen or turn the key when I listen now. It's really hard to believe that a light bulb caused so much trouble!
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #9 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
That's a helpful diagram thanks. I've already tried switching the starter relay out and no change. I don't have anyone to listen or turn the key when I listen now. It's really hard to believe that a light bulb caused so much trouble!
As soon as you can get another person to help, you need to determine if the Starter Motor relay is clicking. If it is, it will eliminate a lot of possible causes.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
ronjenx is offline  
post #10 of 48 Old 04-18-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

There is a clicking in one of the relays. I just had a mobile mechanic leave stumped. He tested the starter and it was fine. He admittedly said he wasn't very familiar with Jeep electrics. Another one who loves Jeeps is coming to take a peek. He said he'd help diagnose for free since it's a Jeep but would charge for any other car. Sounds promising! Gotta love a fellow Jeeper!
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #11 of 48 Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

Well the Jeep guy stood me up but I have it back to starting now- there was an important fuse in the wrong spot. Feeling pretty stupid....but moving on! Now it's back to just the rear blinkers which is where I started. No power to those fuses with the car off , on , or on and blinking. Front blinkers work fine. I am getting the quick blinking telling me something is wrong but not sure what! What should I check?? Thanks!
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #12 of 48 Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
Well the Jeep guy stood me up but I have it back to starting now- there was an important fuse in the wrong spot. Feeling pretty stupid....but moving on! Now it's back to just the rear blinkers which is where I started. No power to those fuses with the car off , on , or on and blinking. Front blinkers work fine. I am getting the quick blinking telling me something is wrong but not sure what! What should I check?? Thanks!
What fuses did you check? The blinker/brake filaments don't have fuses.
Are both the rear blinkers not working?
How about the brake lights? Do they come on?

The fast blink means there is a bad bulb, bad ground, bad power wire, bad connection somewhere in the circuit.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
ronjenx is offline  
post #13 of 48 Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

Both rear blinkers don't work. I put in new bulbs. The rear tail lights and break light work. Not sure about the reverse lights- I'd guess not. The left rear blinker bulb was cracked and clouded and there was some moisture in the housing. Has that caused a short somewhere? Not sure how to check for that.
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #14 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

I think the tail lights are the ones under the radiator fan in the above picture. No power to that whole section.
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #15 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
I think the tail lights are the ones under the radiator fan in the above picture. No power to that whole section.
The tail light filaments have fuses. M17 and M18.
The blinker/brake light filaments don't have fuses.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-20-2014 at 12:22 AM.
ronjenx is offline  
post #16 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
Both rear blinkers don't work. I put in new bulbs. The rear tail lights and break light work. Not sure about the reverse lights- I'd guess not. The left rear blinker bulb was cracked and clouded and there was some moisture in the housing. Has that caused a short somewhere? Not sure how to check for that.
OK. If both brake lights come on, that means all the wiring and connections from the fuse box to the blinker/brake filaments are good.

The blinkers and regular brake lights are computer controlled and share the same wires and filaments in the bulbs. Since the computer is sending power to illuminate the brake lights, it should be capable of sending power along the same wires to the same filaments in the bulbs to illuminate the blinkers.

So, the problem has to be the computer isn't sending power to the rear lights for the blinker function.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery negative terminal to see if it would reset the computer?

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-20-2014 at 12:33 AM.
ronjenx is offline  
post #17 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

Yikes! That doesn't sound good. Does that need to go to the dealer? Sounds expensive!
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #18 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
Yikes! That doesn't sound good. Does that need to go to the dealer? Sounds expensive!
Have you tried disconnecting the battery negative terminal to see if it would reset the computer?

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
ronjenx is offline  
post #19 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

Ok- just double checked. The brake light above the spare works but brake lights in the tail lights do not work. The top portion of the tail lights themselves are working but nothing on the bottom. When I tested M17 and M18 they did not react in the fuse box (if that means anything??)
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #20 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 01:05 AM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
Ok- just double checked. The brake light above the spare works but brake lights in the tail lights do not work. The top portion of the tail lights themselves are working but nothing on the bottom. When I tested M17 and M18 they did not react in the fuse box (if that means anything??)
M17 and M18 must be good as the tail lights work. The fuses won't have power to either leg when the lights are off.
The third brake light works because it's a separate hard-wired circuit that doesn't involve the computer in any way.

I was going to ask if you actually saw the regular brake lights working. Now that we know they don't, the wiring and connections are suspect.

Was the trailer wiring kit you installed the kind that uses the original connectors, and not the kind that taps the wires?

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
ronjenx is offline  
post #21 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

Yes- just plugged right in. No splicing or anything. Only one way to do it so even I couldn't have messed it up. It's not installed now though.
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #22 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 AM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
Yes- just plugged right in. No splicing or anything. Only one way to do it so even I couldn't have messed it up. It's not installed now though.
Have you tried disconnecting the battery negative terminal to see if it would reset the computer?

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
ronjenx is offline  
post #23 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

I will first thing in the AM. If that fixes it I'll be a happy camper! Thanks for all your helpful advice. Before this Jeep I had a 74 CJ 5. It was a lot easier to figure out!
JessicaBlack is offline  
post #24 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Rock God
 
ronjenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBlack View Post
I will first thing in the AM. If that fixes it I'll be a happy camper! Thanks for all your helpful advice. Before this Jeep I had a 74 CJ 5. It was a lot easier to figure out!
If that doesn't fix it, it's time to start probing wires.
I'll look up the blinker/brake light wire colors if you decide to try that.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
ronjenx is offline  
post #25 of 48 Old 04-20-2014, 05:38 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 21,994
Feedback: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
If that doesn't fix it, it's time to start probing wires.
I'll look up the blinker/brake light wire colors if you decide to try that.
Post #7 in this thread.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177658

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome