Electrical Hook up for Trailer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Electrical Hook up for Trailer

Hopefully someone can help me out on this.

I just got a trailer to haul my Quad 4x4 on. My 07' Unlimited has the towing package with the Flat 4-wire plug. The trailer has electric brakes and has a round 6-wire plug. I got an adaptor which has a plug for the 4-wire connector and 3 more wires. The 3 wires are white (Ground), light blue (brake activation line, needs to connect to brake pedal signal) and red (needs a 12-volt supply). I was hoping someone has the wiring diagram for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler so I could hook up the 3 wires as close as possible to the hitch, instead of running wires all the way to the Cab and fusebox. Having the service manual would be nice to have, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a copy?

Keep on Jeeping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Granite Guru

What you need to do is get a brake controller to operate the trailer brakes. A Prodigy is pretty much the most popular to buy. You will need a new connector to splice into the four wires Jeep supplied (removing the 4 pin). Might as well get the matching six prong. In the Prodigy box are the instructions on how to properly wire.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota
post #3 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Granite Guru

Here is a write up I did about installing the 7 way trailer harness on my Jeep. Hope it helps.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...rs+baja&page=4

Justin

2006 Adventure Trailers Chaser #15
2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited(Sold)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Electrical Hook up for Trailer

Thanks for the replys. I was thinking that I would most likely need to get a brake controller thanks for the advise. Just was hoping that someone found something more simple or less expensive. I will look over your write up for the 7-pin connection also.
Thanks Again
post #5 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Rock God

If all you're towing is a quad, I don't think you'll really need brakes per se. Sure, it wouldn't hurt to have them, but I think you could safely tow a quad without them...unless you're using a really heavy duty trailer.

As OlMan said, the Tekonsha Prodigy is a great brake controller and it's usually under $100 at most online stores. Get the harness that Gear refers to in his writeup. I did the same type of kit with my Liberty CRD. Having the mopar harness makes it a lot easier.

Good luck and safe Jeeping!
post #6 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

I guess I did not fully explain the hauling situation. The trailer is heavy and it will hold two bigger quads. I have a Honda Rubicon and two smaller quads for my boys. It hauls them just fine and most likely I won't need the electric brakes, but with two full size quads and all my gear on the trailer I want the electric brakes. Driving on I-75 through Kentucky and Tennessee then the country roads to get to the trails, to much for the Jeep brakes. I had heard that if you tap into the ABS brake signal that could be used to control the trailer brakes. The signal gets lighter or stronger by how hard you step on the pedal. Just trying to save a buck. It makes more sense to spend the money and get the better Prodigy Brake Controller and be safe and have the ability to adjust the sigal to the Trailer brakes. Thanks for the replys
post #7 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Rock God

That makes more sense!

The Prodigy is easy to adjust. You'll like it.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Beating Jeeping View Post
I guess I did not fully explain the hauling situation. The trailer is heavy and it will hold two bigger quads. I have a Honda Rubicon and two smaller quads for my boys. It hauls them just fine and most likely I won't need the electric brakes, but with two full size quads and all my gear on the trailer I want the electric brakes. Driving on I-75 through Kentucky and Tennessee then the country roads to get to the trails, to much for the Jeep brakes. I had heard that if you tap into the ABS brake signal that could be used to control the trailer brakes. The signal gets lighter or stronger by how hard you step on the pedal. Just trying to save a buck. It makes more sense to spend the money and get the better Prodigy Brake Controller and be safe and have the ability to adjust the sigal to the Trailer brakes. Thanks for the replys
I personally would definetly not tamper with the ABS system.. the JK has a Can Bus system and measures resistance across the wires for different applications... It uses pulse width modulation blah blah blah.... not a good idea to tap into the wires, there is a big chance the computer will not like it.

no jeep here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode