Problems wiring winch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Problems wiring winch

Ok so not sure if its just the friday retardedness kicking in or what. But I'm having trouble with my Ramsey Rep-8000 winch.
I know it should be pretty simple, red wire from solenoid to pos. battery terminal, black to the negative. But when I have 1 wire connected and go to hook up the other one on battery it sparks like its shorting, damn near welding itself to the terminal.

I dont see any bare spots on either wire where they could be grounding out or anything.

Would a bad solenoid cause this? Or am I overlooking something stupid.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPeterson View Post
Ok so not sure if its just the friday retardedness kicking in or what. But I'm having trouble with my Ramsey Rep-8000 winch.
I know it should be pretty simple, red wire from solenoid to pos. battery terminal, black to the negative. But when I have 1 wire connected and go to hook up the other one on battery it sparks like its shorting, damn near welding itself to the terminal.

I dont see any bare spots on either wire where they could be grounding out or anything.

Would a bad solenoid cause this? Or am I overlooking something stupid.

Thanks

If it is a simple spark, that would be normal as it's completing the circuit when you connect the negative end to the battery.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No its not just a simple spark. It actually gets the cable hot, and leaves a burn mark on the terminal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

With both wires off the battery what happens when you attach the pos+ wire to the pos+ on the battery, leaving the neg- off and not touching the body or frame? Still leaving the neg- off and not touching the body or frame touch the pos+ wire to the neg- post on the battery what happens? I'm wondering if the wires could have been put on wrong inside the solenoid pack of the winch. I dont know just thinking of possible causes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
With both wires off the battery what happens when you attach the pos+ wire to the pos+ on the battery, leaving the neg- off and not touching the body or frame? Still leaving the neg- off and not touching the body or frame touch the pos+ wire to the neg- post on the battery what happens? I'm wondering if the wires could have been put on wrong inside the solenoid pack of the winch. I dont know just thinking of possible causes.
x2 This would be fun, and not good for the battery.

Does the solenoid click when you hook up the positive?

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Rock God

One cause could be that when running the wires to the battery through the body, you nicked the positive cable and the wire is touching the body causing a short. One way to check is run a cable from the solenoid to the positive on battery without it touching the vehicle. If that works then viola , you discovered the problem. This has happened to me before.

post #7 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

it might be a possibilty that somethings shorted out in soilinod area, do yuo have a voltmeter or test light?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #8 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Granite Guru

Yup, that's definitely a short. There is something wrong, you are not just suffering from a case of the "fridays".

There's been some good advice so far on likely problems. A multimeter is probably your friend right now.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

try have the winch in gear when you connect it (be VERY carefull) maybe one is stuck on, that would be enough draw to make it spark, if you do this and thats wats wrong the winch will move and can be dangerous

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 12 Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah I've been playing with a test light on it and both solenoids and the base are "hot"... so something is shorted inside the solenoid. I'm figuring on just getting a couple of new ones.

thanks
post #11 of 12 Old 11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

im not familiar with that winch are the solinoids external like the warn m8000? if so take the solinoid box apart and check it out, maybe a pinched/cut wire somewhere. the base (or any exposed metal part) should not show 12v at them

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #12 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Has this problem been resolved? Reason I ask, I was having similar trouble, and a google search brought me to this thread. My 2nd-hand REP 8000 would overheat/short the hot wire on power-in. I used this wiring diagram to properly wire it, but was still having the same problem. I checked the motor connectors and noticed a ground condition on the F2 lug on the motor. After disassembling the motor I saw the lug had twisted slightly from tightening the connector, and was grounding out against the inside of the motor case. I'm 99% certain this could be happening to yours, maybe on the positive (+) post of the winch motor. To fix it I simply twisted it back where it needed to be, and held it inside the motor case with a mini pry bar while tightening the 9/16" nut that holds the lug in place. This will be cheaper than buying new continuous duty solenoids, I priced them at $75 each at NAPA before dedicating myself to finding out what else the problem could be. If it is already fixed, maybe this bit of info can help someone else. Happy 'wheeling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode