Remote Start - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-30-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Jayce113
Remote Start

Just curious. I know Mopar makes a remote start kit for our JKs. I would like to get one for those really cold mornings in CO so my jeep will be nice and toasty when I leave for work. Does this system require reprogramming of the ecu and if so, does Superchips compensate for that when you reprogram for different octanes, not that the actual octane matters just the programming? Thanks!

2007 RESCUE GREEN JEEP SAHARA
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Do you have the keyless entry? I wonder if you can upgrade the key and what part you would need to make it like that. Mine came with it and it is freakin great, it doesnt get cold here very much but being able to pre cool it off is nice and also we can get out and hit the start and it will run for 20 minutes so when I have the dog and need to run in and out she stays cool. Sorry for the no knowledge of the components for you, I remember reading of others installing the ???evs1??? module to add functions to the base alarm on it. try a evs1 search maybe.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 AM
tym
Wheeler

your jeep is already wired for it and its very easy to put in, you should be able to buy from mopar or most jeep websites. Part Number: 82211437AD $235.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Wheeler

If you buy the Mopar kit can you install yourself. I understand that the dealer has to re flash.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Found a write up to help you guys

Old thread i know....

I found this write up to be very informative for anybody wanting to install the remote start.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...8/#post7026707
post #6 of 27 Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Granite Guru

Still nobody seems to know if the 2008/9 kit will work in a 2007. I'd rather have the new keys and no extra key fob (like in the 07 kit). I don't see why it wouldn't work in an 07, but nobody has ever confirmed it and several people mentioned they were going to try it and none of them reported back. Remote start is something I'd definitely like to have during the winter.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Will the kit with 2 keys fit the 2007. What is needed to make it work?
post #8 of 27 Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Anyone done this?
post #9 of 27 Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
Still nobody seems to know if the 2008/9 kit will work in a 2007. I'd rather have the new keys and no extra key fob (like in the 07 kit). I don't see why it wouldn't work in an 07, but nobody has ever confirmed it and several people mentioned they were going to try it and none of them reported back. Remote start is something I'd definitely like to have during the winter.

Anyone with an answer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your Adventure and Off Road Outfitter since 2004.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to LS6TT

dealer told me 07 is its own kit, 08-10 is a separate kit, 07 will not work in other years.

Regarding using the same key, you have to use the FOB that comes with the kit

-Alex
2010 2dr Sport | 2.5" BB Lift with 4dr Springs | More to come
post #11 of 27 Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Would anyone trust a third party remote start i.e. Viper. They have the Smart Start system where you can use your phone as a starter from anywhere.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
Would anyone trust a third party remote start i.e. Viper. They have the Smart Start system where you can use your phone as a starter from anywhere.
In other vehicles I have used autopage and love it, imo I would go aftermarket so you get MUCH better range and two way alarm (fob alerts you if alarms goes off). Most of the manufactures have web/phone subscriptions available

too.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I had a 2 way viper kit in my 05 Ram...and loved it. damn thing would start from the eighth floor windows of my building when it was parked like 100 yards away (straight shot view, but it was still a pretty good distance). by the time i got the elevator and walked out, it would be nice and toasty.

the alarm on it worked well too. windows open and someone grabs the inside handle it would go off.

the only complaint i had was that you had to have the Viper fob in addition to the key. plus, those damn things were fragile as hell and expensive to replace. but, this was 4 ish years ago so they may be updated. best buy installed it and despite what many people think best buys work is like, i think they did a great job.

im doing this soon, but will be sticking to the mopar version.

edit: had it for over 2 years too without a problem.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Last edited by pizzaman; 01-09-2011 at 08:19 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Funny you should ask. Just installed the Viper 5902 alarm w/ remote start and the smartstart module on my 2010 Rubi. The basic alarm/remote took less than two hours to install when using a bypass module (Chall and chth2). Only thing to hook up was 12v, ground, siren, hood pin and parking lamps.

Works like a charm!
post #15 of 27 Old 01-09-2011, 02:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLe View Post
Funny you should ask. Just installed the Viper 5902 alarm w/ remote start and the smartstart module on my 2010 Rubi. The basic alarm/remote took less than two hours to install when using a bypass module (Chall and chth2). Only thing to hook up was 12v, ground, siren, hood pin and parking lamps.

Works like a charm!
Are you auto or manual?
post #16 of 27 Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Works like a charm!
i just did the same thing... its the way to go... you get a great alarm and remote start all for around 270 if you do it yourself..with the chall and chth2 it makes it really easy ..
post #17 of 27 Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
Are you auto or manual?
Manual. The Viper 5902 is designed to be used with a manual. The only additional step you have to take with a manual is a clutch bypass, which is just a wire from the 5902 that sends a signal to the TIPM during remote startup that fools the TIPM into thinking the clutch is depressed.

There is, of course, a set procedure you must accomplish when exiting the vehicle in order for remote start to work:

Transmission in neutral, apply emergency brake, step on brake, hit the remote start button on the keyfob, remove key (vehicle remains running), exit vehicle and then arm the system (arming shuts down the vehicle and puts it into ready mode for remote starting). If the alarm does not see that procedure, it will not allow remote start.

ETA: I only use the remote start to warm up the Jeep in the winter, when my hard-top is on. When I have a soft-top on or am doorless, I deactivate remote start capability via a toggle switch provided with the alarm for that exact purpose.

Last edited by ChrisLe; 01-09-2011 at 03:16 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Manual. The Viper 5902 is designed to be used with a manual. The only additional step you have to take with a manual is a clutch bypass, which is just a wire from the 5902 that sends a signal to the TIPM during remote startup that fools the TIPM into thinking the clutch is depressed.

There is, of course, a set procedure you must accomplish when exiting the vehicle in order for remote start to work:

Transmission in neutral, apply emergency brake, step on brake, hit the remote start button on the keyfob, remove key (vehicle remains running), exit vehicle and then arm the system (arming shuts down the vehicle and puts it into ready mode for remote starting). If the alarm does not see that procedure, it will not allow remote start.

ETA: I only use the remote start to warm up the Jeep in the winter, when my hard-top is on. When I have a soft-top on or am doorless, I deactivate remote start capability via a toggle switch provided with the alarm for that exact purpose.
^Sweet! That sounds like something I could use but I would probably still use the factory alarm unless that would just be ridiculous...Any systems out there like this that allow the use of the factory alarm?
post #19 of 27 Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
^Sweet! That sounds like something I could use but I would probably still use the factory alarm unless that would just be ridiculous...Any systems out there like this that allow the use of the factory alarm?
When using the Chall bypass, the 5902 is fully integrated with the OEM alarm. It will be a seamless transition in that you won't even notice the OEM alarm. That said, if all you're interested in is remote start, then the Mopar remote start is the way to go as its plug and play... The only caveat being that once installed I believe the dealer has to activate it via starscan (So I've read n the forums).
post #20 of 27 Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
When using the Chall bypass, the 5902 is fully integrated with the OEM alarm. It will be a seamless transition in that you won't even notice the OEM alarm. That said, if all you're interested in is remote start, then the Mopar remote start is the way to go as its plug and play... The only caveat being that once installed I believe the dealer has to activate it via starscan (So I've read n the forums).
I have an 07 which I don't think is compatible with the OEM alarm and I also heard that the OEM alarm doesn't work on manual trans either.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I have an 07 which I don't think is compatible with the OEM alarm and I also heard that the OEM alarm doesn't work on manual trans either.
Nope. It does not work on manuals. You'll have to go aftermarket...
post #22 of 27 Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Nope. It does not work on manuals. You'll have to go aftermarket...
Does that mean the 5902 wont work for me either?
post #23 of 27 Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Does that mean the 5902 wont work for me either?
It will. By aftermarket I mean other than the Mopar remote start. The 5902 is aftermarket...
post #24 of 27 Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
It will. By aftermarket I mean other than the Mopar remote start. The 5902 is aftermarket...
Okay thanks! I know the difference between aftermarket and OEM I just wasn't sure if I would need some sort of bypass for the viper to work with a manual.
post #25 of 27 Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Okay thanks! I know the difference between aftermarket and OEM I just wasn't sure if I would need some sort of bypass for the viper to work with a manual.
You will need a bypass (Chall) and cable to override the chipped key, key sense and interface with the mux cable/canbus system so that you don't cut wires and screw it up. The Chall will handle all of the above and lock/unlock, arm/disarm oem alarm, hood, tailgate, brake, tach interface, remote start, etc.

The Chall will interface the vehicle's electrical/starting system with the alarm's brain and all you'll need to wire is 12volt, ground, parking lights and clutch bypass (one wire from alarm module to clutch wire) and starter kill (optional).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode