questions about stereo - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-28-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

questions about stereo

alright so i have some questions...

I want to buy an alpine or pioneer head unit with built in gps.

I am gonna go with the alpine SPR-17C speaker for the roll bar and front 2 speakers.

I also plan on getting 2 12" Alpine X-Type subs.

These are powerful subs. what type of amp will i need and also will i need an amp for my speakers?

I'm not the smartest person with wires and all that crazy stuff so do you think i should get somebody to do this like Best Buy or is it possible for me to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'll say this..you're gonna more than likely need to look into beefing up your battery and possibly your alternator, if you're gonna push two 12" subs and possibly be running two amps!!
The stock battery just won't take the abuse! IMO..

As far as the amp for the subs: Hi output, as it'll be divided by 2 (because of the two subs), and sub dedicated. I had MATS pushing mine a while back. Great amp but, costly.

You may get away with Not putting an amp to the other speakers, provided the head unit is powerful enough.

If not, and you do go with an amp for the other speakers. you'll really only need to use it for the dash speakers and let the head unit push the bar speakers, (It would balance the sound better this way). At least that's what i'd do, as the bar speakers really won't benifit as much from an amp because of where they are.

Not a pro..just been down this road before.

Others w/more knowledge will more than likely chime in soon..

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-28-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i appreciate the advice, that helped me out

still people give me your opinions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

go 5 channel amp, stock battery will be fine but I would at least wire in at least a 1 farad capacitor but a gel cell battery would be your best bet once the stocker wears out. as for the subs, alpine is nice others are better for subs. look into small enclosure type speakers like kicker solo baric or something along those lines so that you still have some rear space. whatever you do fire the subs down or to the tailgate to help the sspl level. I would do it off a 5 channel amp, probably the alpine pdx5. you will need to run all new wires to all the spaeakers because the stack wire guage is too small. another cool idea would be to do a push pull design box and have the port facing down that way it would be a single reflex bandpass and you will get really deep bass and really good mid bass so its not so, tsss, tsss, boom, boom. but I mostly did iasca competition stuff so I liked it all loud and even.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 PM
JKO Addict!

yeah use a capacitor and your stock battery should be fine.
It really depends on your subs what you want to push.
I had some kicker 10" that would BOOM with only 400 watts total.
then they got ganked. go figure

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Granite Guru

Where did jkjones go?

I went wheelin biatch!
oh and for a ride on my Harley....:thefinger

scene: Agaudo smashes cockroach to provoke ventura
Agaudo: Homicide!, ventura how you gonna solve that one?
Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!

Last edited by jkjones; 10-30-2009 at 09:57 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Wheeler

OK 1) no caps. 2) what vehicle do you have? 3) those type x subs will handle well over 1kw no problem each 4) why limit yourself to only alpine products? (not that they aren't good just wondering.)

There is a lot more to doing a proper set up than just throwing a bunch of equipment in. For instance, what type of music do you listen to? That will determine what type of box you will most likely want (sealed/ ported/ bandpass/ t-line/ etc.) What are your wood working abilities? Be aware that the specific sub you use will determine the size and tuning (if you go ported) of the box you use. This could be a limiting factor in your decision since the Type X 12 needs somewhere around 1.8 cubic feet of airspace per sub. That's after sub and port displacement. Some other brands you may want to look at for subs are DC Soundlabs, Fi car audio, Digital Designs, RE, RD and there are more depending on what sound your going for.

Now someone said to get the PDX5. Great amp. Unfortunatly it probably won't be enough power for 2 Type X 12's. The sub channel only puts out 300 watts. Not even enough for one of those subs. The nice thing about the PDX amps though is that they are "small" and stackable. A better solution would be something like the PDX4.100 or PDX4.150 for the interior speakers and 2 PDX1.1000's for the subs. That is if you are dead set on those subs. I have a Rockford Fosgate 25 to life Power 1000 that is brand new I'll let go for a grand. Things sexy But its a 5 channel and does 110x 4 and 995x 1 on the sub channel. And that's one of the highest powered 5 channel amps you'll find. Another option is the Memphis Big Belle.

Anyways, as you can see there is a lot that goes into a proper car audio system. I haven't even gotten into powering the amps, head units, why not to use caps and get a small second (SEALED) batt. instead, wiring a system properly, etc.

Whatever you do, don't let Best Buy do your install. Go to a reputable shop specifically dedicated to car audio. Or better yet, research your ass off and do it yourself. It will be more satisfying.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Granite Guru

^^what he said!

scene: Agaudo smashes cockroach to provoke ventura
Agaudo: Homicide!, ventura how you gonna solve that one?
Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode