cb mounts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
cb mounts

im thinking about getting this one at least im asking for a cb for christmas and im jsut wondering some of the different places i can mount the cb ive only had the doors off twice but when its warm and not rainy at all id liek to have a sturdy mount or some thing where it cant be stolen

http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_11.htm

this is the only place taht comes in a pck with all the stuff if i see a mount better or more innovative than this one i might jsut put the parts together here and leave out their mount and btw what is their mount there is no pictures of it as in the location

yes i searches but i couldnt find anything and i only saw 1 behings a steering curtain or something idk what you guys got

i saw a thread with like 4 pgs or sumthin but i couldn not find it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Granite Guru

You can mount a small CB like that one under the drivers seat. Works great if you mostly intend to use it on the trail rides where you don't change channels. Just a little problem changing channels when driving.

I built a similar antenna mount with just a flat bar and some nuts and bolts using the top surface of the tire carrier.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #3 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

interesting how bout some in side the glove box or the middle compart ment or above the mirror or any other cool mounts.

and what happens when a coax kinks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

this the thread you were lookin for?
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16436

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
this the thread you were lookin for?
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16436
yea it is thx

post #6 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_C...nOne_kit.shtml

Or piece it together yourself. I've never ran their antenna mount, but I personally don't like my antennas mounted on the sides. I live in Michigan and many of our trails are tight and heavily wooded with branches grabbing at everything. A spring, or a flex antenna, will prevent damage, but it will still always be snapping around if mounted on the side. Mine is mounted using one of the tire carrier bolts and only sticks above the roof about 12 inches. Yes, it does get caught from time to time, but that's only is heavy cover.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

do you think the 75 or the one i have above would be better?

post #8 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
JKO Addict!

I currently am running the 75 and love it. It's small, easy to use, and has all the features of many of the high end radios. It's even got weather!

I've had a couple different cheap radios and they are just that. They will get the job done, but that's about it. Many of the cheap ones dont' even have a place to plug in an external speaker.

Also think about security. Crooks don't probably know the difference between an expensive radio and a cheap one. They just see a nice radio and then break in to steal it. On a 75, the control box is mounted under the dash, and the it has a quick disconnect so you can actually take the radio out if you would like.

For the price, I would go with a 75. You can put together a 75 and a Cooltech mount for $166.

$90
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75-Hands...6349838&sr=8-1

$20
http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_versamount.shtml

$25
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/wi...tenna-363.html

$13
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/mi...-stud-458.html

$18
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/co...-feet-216.html

Add some time and some misc. wire to ground the antenna and you are good to go. Then find somebody with an SWR meter to tune it and you'll be happy and won't need to upgrade later.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

wow for 16 bucks more it seems like a great deal i think the hardest aprt is gonna be getting my parents t ofigure out what these parts are to order if they get me it for christmas

thx im gonna ask for this stuff

post #10 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 08:34 PM
JKO Addict!

I just looked it all up online real quick, but don't count out truck stops.

Some are pricey, but some are pretty good. I have a 3ft Wilson Flex antenna I just picked up to replace my rigid antenna that I paid $27 for at the truck stop. The HD mirror mount I listed says $12, but I think I paid more like $5. And coax listed is a brand name, but I got some no name stuff for less than $10 for 18ft. As for the radio, online is likely your best bet.

Drill the hole for the mirror mount to the size for the tire carrier bolt, and throw away the other half of it. I used some heavy gauge wire that I had to ground my antenna. I just used some waterproof spade connectors with a bunch of dielectric grease smeared on them at the antenna, and then ran the wire through the tailgate along with the coax. The ground wire is grounded to the body with one of the subwoofer bolts. Then ran the coax to the front under the carpet and/or under the plastic trim pieces so there is nothing showing.

Last edited by oz97tj; 10-23-2009 at 08:37 PM.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm running a 75 and love it. I know a few guys that have the 75 also and it's a pretty good radio especially for trail BSing.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99˘ a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Granite Guru

Get that CB that has bluetooth talk on your phone through your CB hahahaha

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
post #13 of 21 Old 10-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Rock God

post #14 of 21 Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

when you say mirror mount is that the rearview or a side view or am i totally confused can i see a picture of these mounts in use if any of yall have em?

post #15 of 21 Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
when you say mirror mount is that the rearview or a side view or am i totally confused can i see a picture of these mounts in use if any of yall have em?
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/mi...-stud-458.html

It's a mount for a semi truck side mirror. It's nothing more than a clamp. You don't use the back side of it though and you will only use one bolt hole. Drill out the hole to the size of your stock tire carrier bolts and put a bolt through it there and it works perfect.

I'll try to get a pic of my setup, but it won't be till tomorrow now.
post #16 of 21 Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Jsr
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
im thinking about getting this one at least im asking for a cb for christmas and im jsut wondering some of the different places i can mount the cb ive only had the doors off twice but when its warm and not rainy at all id liek to have a sturdy mount or some thing where it cant be stolen

http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_11.htm

this is the only place taht comes in a pck with all the stuff if i see a mount better or more innovative than this one i might jsut put the parts together here and leave out their mount and btw what is their mount there is no pictures of it as in the location

yes i searches but i couldnt find anything and i only saw 1 behings a steering curtain or something idk what you guys got

i saw a thread with like 4 pgs or sumthin but i couldn not find it

That's the same mount that I run...bro.

2008 Black Rubicon 2DR.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsr View Post
That's the same mount that I run...bro.
the antenna one?
cause i like that one

im trying to convince my dad that instead of buy an air compressor for the garage to jsut get the viair one for the jeep ohh im a little schemer arent i

post #18 of 21 Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Granite Guru

I have one of these sitting in my garage if your interested?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...fAudioQ5fVideo

I like the Cobra 75 too. I mounted my box behind the glove box...not diggin that too much! The Mic cable is too stretched out for the driver for my liking. Thinking about relocating the box under the center console.
my .02
post #19 of 21 Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunchytaco View Post
I have one of these sitting in my garage if your interested?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...fAudioQ5fVideo

I like the Cobra 75 too. I mounted my box behind the glove box...not diggin that too much! The Mic cable is too stretched out for the driver for my liking. Thinking about relocating the box under the center console.
my .02
no thx im asking for this stuff for Christmas.

post #20 of 21 Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i got the arizona mount too.

cheapo walmart cobra radio works just fine for me!
post #21 of 21 Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok so my dad told me to pick out an antenna cb and the mounts

im gonna go with the one i had posted i like the look of a full size cb and im gonna get the mount for left of the tranny shifter.

what antenna should i ask for i don't need a 4 ft one and i had plans of running the tire carrier mount but when i get a tire swing i wont have that so i might as well accommodate for that now

thx for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode