Disable parking light. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Disable parking light.

Just smoked out my parking lights/turn signals on the grille, is there anyway to disable the actual parking light from always being on (Looks terrible with light, maybe bad tint job who knows, or the actual surface is like ribbed) but still keep the turn signals working for safety reason. Hate it so much that i actually took the bulb out haha. Please help.

Coming from a volkswagen and we had VAG-COM to do all these features, i heard of pro-cal? But not too familiar just got my jk last month. Pics up soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Granite Guru

They shouldn't be on unless you turn them on. Yours are always on regardless of switch position? Did you buy it used?

'64 CJ-5, '74 Bronco, '79 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '92 XJ, '96 XJ, '99 XJ, '01 TJ, '01 XJ, 2013 JKU.

2013 Commando Green JKU
35x12.50/17 Falken Rocky Moutain ATS
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
Diablo Sport Trinity (garbage)
Sleeve, Truss, ARB, Chromo D30
post #3 of 13 Old 03-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Wheeler

I think there is some kind of option for DRL Daytime Running Lights. I don't know how you get it or turn it on/off but it my be an option on the steering wheel menu button.

c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Granite Guru

You can disable/modify your parking light options with a SuperChips FlashCal...

http://superchips.com/cat/jeep/
post #5 of 13 Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 PM

You can also do this and a whole bunch of other stuff with the AEV Pro-Cal for about $150. Also there are always a bunch of them for sale 2nd hand as people use them, then upgrade to programmers with more features. If you go 2nd hand make sure the seller reset their jeep back to stock as the scanner get VIN locked and will not work on another vehicle. I just got mine new from AEV and it works like a CHAMP!!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Granite Guru

I don't think they should be on period. Pretty sure they didn't come from the factory with Parking Lights always on. Unless he already has a tuner installed and doesn't know it if he bought the jeep used and the options were changed to have them on at all times. DRLs usually only turn on the headlights anyway right? He didn't say the headlights were on as well. Weird.

'64 CJ-5, '74 Bronco, '79 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '92 XJ, '96 XJ, '99 XJ, '01 TJ, '01 XJ, 2013 JKU.

2013 Commando Green JKU
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
post #7 of 13 Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm weird! I got a '14 brand spanking new, maybe they changed it up? Once i click up once, those lights go on and flash when turning. Weird. I guess I need pro-cal to disable? Thanks for the responses guys, i tried searching but thought i might be different since i was giving a '14.

Here's the light im talking about. Its always on, looks horrible when tinted plus i go with only fogs on a daily basis and def was not buying $120 set of recon's for a smoked look. No way.

Last edited by Castro; 03-18-2014 at 08:05 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Granite Guru

Yeah if you click up once it turns on your parking lights. Then pull out to turn on fogs, right? That's how it's supposed to work. You had us all thinking that you meant they were always on, without clicking up one

No way of getting only fogs with no parking unless you wire a separate switch. A tuner, pro cal, Diablo sport, I don't any of them will get you only fogs. Sorry! Gonna have to live with it or run a separate fog switch.

2013 Commando Green JKU
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
post #9 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo36 View Post
Yeah if you click up once it turns on your parking lights. Then pull out to turn on fogs, right? That's how it's supposed to work. You had us all thinking that you meant they were always on, without clicking up one

No way of getting only fogs with no parking unless you wire a separate switch. A tuner, pro cal, Diablo sport, I don't any of them will get you only fogs. Sorry! Gonna have to live with it or run a separate fog switch.
Sorry for the miscommunication! So in conclusion, disregarding the fogs, there's no way to have those lights function as ONLY turn signals without always being om but only when turning. I know i could go to just cutting the wiring (I'm sure there's two seperate, one for parking and one for signaling) but would rather not. Once again, sorry to be a bug but thanks Camo and others!
post #10 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro View Post
Sorry for the miscommunication! So in conclusion, disregarding the fogs, there's no way to have those lights function as ONLY turn signals without always being om but only when turning. I know i could go to just cutting the wiring (I'm sure there's two seperate, one for parking and one for signaling) but would rather not. Once again, sorry to be a bug but thanks Camo and others!
Legally amber front marker lights are required on any vehicle longer than 80". If your state has vehicle inspections disabling this could result in failure of the inspection, and if you don't have vehicle inspections you could be pulled over for this.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #11 of 13 Old 04-24-2014, 07:28 PM

if you disable the parking lights that would also mean youd have no taillights either which im sure is illegal lol unless if your looking for away to just disable the fronts

08 jku sahara
2.5 teraflex lift, 315.70.17 duratracs, smittybilt stinger, grill mod, engo 10 winch, xrc flat fenders(on the way), plasti dip wheels, oracle halos, some lights
post #12 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range_time View Post
You can also do this and a whole bunch of other stuff with the AEV Pro-Cal for about $150. Also there are always a bunch of them for sale 2nd hand as people use them, then upgrade to programmers with more features. If you go 2nd hand make sure the seller reset their jeep back to stock as the scanner get VIN locked and will not work on another vehicle. I just got mine new from AEV and it works like a CHAMP!!
the flashCAL is about $150 as well. i got mine for $121 @ autoanything.

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #13 of 13 Old 04-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Wheeler

I believe one of the options with the Procal is to set the fog lights as the Daytime Running Lights. So whenever the jeep is in gear and parking brake is off the fog lights will be on at half power. This would keep the parking lights off in that case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode