changing out factory to better factory radio - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

changing out factory to better factory radio

I have the basic single disc radio with sirus subscription till next March. This radio has the infinity sound system if that makes a difference.

I came across a really good deal to get the 6 disc factory cd player (non-navigation). I think they only have one model that is set up this way?

If I get the 6 disc cd player is there anything special needed to do the install? Also, does anybody know if the sirus subscription can get transfered over to the new radio?

Last edited by Grant211; 10-19-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Rock God

the sirius subscription info is in your antenna. just pull the old one and plug n' play the new headunit. you'll keep the sirius subscription with the new one.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Granite Guru

Disc's.....as in cd's.......6 disc player......how 2004 of you!

I don't know.....my sirius subscriction was thru the units SID #, you might call sirius and ask....casually!

DVD....FTW

more wagging, less barking
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Rock God

I ended up getting there lifetime subscription about seven months after I got my rubi just because they had a special. While talking to them they mentioned you can only change the radio three times then the subscription is void. That seems to tell me that they track the radios somehow. I would call and ask just to make sure.

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #5 of 6 Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Rock God

You will need to verify that the new head unit is Sirius capable or there won't be any place to attach your antenna. Once everything is hooked up you will need to find the Sirius serial number via the head unit display and call Sirius tech support. Give them the new serial number and they will switch your account to the new number. Voila! Satellite tunes at your finger tips.

One thing to consider and verify is that the past owner will need to deactivate the radio so the new serial number is unrestricted. If the serial number is in use the original owner will need to contact Sirius and deactivate it before you can switch it to your account. If the Sirius tuner was never used then chances are you won't have to worry about it. You will still need to contact Sirius and have them update your account information but that's it. From my understanding Sirius will swap serial numbers one time for free. After the free serial number update they want to charge $15.

As far as hooking the HU up it's a piece of cake. Since the new HU is a factory model you should be able to remove the old HU and plug the existing vehicle harnesses and antennas directly into the new unit. Simple as pie!

Good luck.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #6 of 6 Old 10-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Rock God

i pulled my 6-disk and installed a mygig also. used the same sirius antenna, and the sirius worked as soon as i plugged in the new mygig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode