Kicker Amp - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Kicker Amp

Is there a noticeable improvement with the Kicker Amp Upgrade (77KICK33) over the Infinity Amp? Does it improve the sound of the sound bar speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Granite Guru

That Kicker amp is designed for JK's with the base sound system, not as an upgrade for the Infinity system.

If you're looking for an upgrade and improve the soundbar sound a Nitro amp makes a big difference. I heard one back to back in a friend's Unlimited and the difference is very noticeable. Soundbar is louder, midranges are more pronounced, and the bass hit harder.

I have one I was going to put in the for sale section, if you're interested PM me. I bought it to be a "trailblazer" and install it in my base model X but I quickly realized that it would be far less work and I wouldn't have to hack my wiring harness all to heck by using an aftermarket amp.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Wheeler

upgrade base system with factory amp

jkracing,

are you saying that it will be easier to install an aftermarket amp into an x with the base system ? I am looking to upgrade my base system (no amp) with the OEM infinity amp. because I was thinking it would be easier than installing an aftermarket amp. Sounds like you have already looked into this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Granite Guru

Yeah, it's definitely WAY easier than trying to make the factory Infinity amp work. I actually bought an Infinity amp and researched all the wiring. I went through the documentation for the factory radio and amp, marked all the wires on the pigtails for the radio and amp, then it was time to start hacking the factory harness to wire everything up. Then I realized that even if I hack my harness up there is a chance that the amp will not be properly recognized by the Canbus. At that point you'd need a Starscan tool change settings to recognize the amp.

With an aftermarket amp you buy a PAC AOEM-CHR3, plug it in to the factory harness and radio, run RCA cables to the amp, power the amp, run speaker wires and you're done. Simple!
post #5 of 7 Old 10-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Wheeler

thanks for info. jkracing ! I suppose I will fab. a bracket for an aftermarket to mount in the factory location, use the PAC adapter and run a power wire and be done. I have been investigating adding the OEM amp. to my base system for weeks. Seems like it should be plug and play with OEM amp.

Also, the 77kick33 is not an upgrade to the factory amp. Although some descriptions do indicate it. It is in fact a 4.1 ch 184 watt kicker amp. packaged by Chrysler with everthing needed mount and plug into factory non-infinity system wiring. I was so confused after reading installation instructions and application guide from www.justforjeeps.com, that I called Kicker direct to confirm.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Wheeler

factory sub wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkracing37 View Post
Yeah, it's definitely WAY easier than trying to make the factory Infinity amp work. I actually bought an Infinity amp and researched all the wiring. I went through the documentation for the factory radio and amp, marked all the wires on the pigtails for the radio and amp, then it was time to start hacking the factory harness to wire everything up. Then I realized that even if I hack my harness up there is a chance that the amp will not be properly recognized by the Canbus. At that point you'd need a Starscan tool change settings to recognize the amp.

With an aftermarket amp you buy a PAC AOEM-CHR3, plug it in to the factory harness and radio, run RCA cables to the amp, power the amp, run speaker wires and you're done. Simple!
jkracing, did you find where the factory sub woofer wires stopped under the dash. I bought a factory sub and enclosure plugged into factory harness in the rear. There are 2 green (1 with white stripe, 1 with black stripe) and 2 grey (1 with white stripe, 1 with black stripe) at the sub. I haven't found them under dash yet. Thought you may have found them.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

No, I have not traced the wires so I do not know where they terminate. I planned on running a heavier gauge wire back to my sub box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode