LED Headlight - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

LED Headlight

Looking to upgrade the headlights on the JK, but am torn between the options out there.
had narrowed down to Truck-Lite and KC High-Lites. But have seen the threads on the Lifetime LED bulbs also.

I am leaning towards the KCs, but haven't heard too much about them. The few I have read about seem to love them.

I have seen Doc's headlight shootout and have all that data, but want real experience with the lights. Buyer's remorse? etc...

Any opinions good or bad are greatly appreciated.

2012 JKU Sport. Bone Stock...for now.
Living in Europe puts a limit on shipping!

Why yes, my JKU has been around the Nurburgring!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Rock God

Went from cheap HIDs in the stock housing to Truck-lite Phase 7s to Hella H4 E-Codes with Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs. Ran a harness on both the Truck-lites and Hella. Couldn't get use to the Truck-lite X/V hot spot, lacking intensity around town, spotty beam spread, and low beams didn't have much throw. Only good thing about them to me was the high beams, pretty much the exact opposite of the low beams. Hellas have good throw, smooth beam pattern, lacking light to the sides which I never cared for on the TLs, more neutral light color.

If I was to start all over, I'd probably go with HIDs with proper housings from HIDProjectors.com. Here's some TL vs KC comparison shots on another forum. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/ne...rs-490129.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have looked at HIDprojectors.com but thought I read somewhere that they are not DOT certified. I live in Germany, temporarily, but would prefer to stay on the right side of the law. Yes, on base, DOT spec lights will pass German inspection, but our inspectors are very picky and I am afraid that without the dot approval it would be money wasted until I get back to the states. The one thing that makes me almost shy away from the LEDs now is the fact of them freezing over in icy/snow conditions. Another reason why the choice is difficult. Would hate to spend the cash for something that continues to be a hassle!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Do you think they're going to look for DOT certification on headlights? HIDProjectors.com does a really nice job, fit and finish wise, to the point it looks factory. I doubt anyone would think twice that they are not OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

I've got the truck-lites and have been reasonably pleased with them. They're not perfect, but they do a much better job than headlights. The low beam pattern with the truck-lites is more akin to a flood pattern where it throws a lot of light over a wide area versus say the JW Speaker lights which have a more concentrated hot spot with their beam pattern. As has been said, the high beam is great and throws out a ton of light. My take, the truck-lites are a nice light that present a good value when compared to similarly priced options (the only headlights you'll ever have to buy for your Jeep).

The little I know about the KC Hi Lites LED headlights is they are a re-badged Peterson Manufacturing light. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but figured I'd put it out there for informational purposes.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 03-10-2014 at 10:11 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

JW Speaker is also a good brand. I've had them for over a year now and i'm very happy with them.

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
post #7 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 02:21 PM
JKO Addict!

post #8 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Do you think they're going to look for DOT certification on headlights? HIDProjectors.com does a really nice job, fit and finish wise, to the point it looks factory. I doubt anyone would think twice that they are not OEM.
With our inspectors on base...I wouldn't put it past them.

post #9 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the info though. Still having a difficult time deciding though. Want to only have to make the decision once!

post #10 of 23 Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 PM

I purchased the Lifetime LED Headlight Bulbs and what a difference over Stock.
Nice bright white lights, good distance and decent side light...Best $ 145.00 I ever spent.
post #11 of 23 Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Gib
Rock God

Truck-lite also makes a headlight that has a heating element in the front lens for their new LED's. Haven't seen any vendors that carry it yet. But, it does have an NSN. So that means that it is class 9....... How well do you know your Motor Sgt?
post #12 of 23 Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Granite Guru

JW Speakers are amazing.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-28-2014, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JW speakers are awesome lights, but for the price, I could have the trucklites and a couple other things. Still haven't decided on this one yet though...

post #14 of 23 Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Granite Guru

Put some KC's on my wife's Jeep a couple weeks ago. They are great. I found them on Amazon for ~$430 shipped. That made it an easy choice over the Trucklites. JW Speaker were just too expensive for me. I can get a set of axle shafts with the difference. Unfortunately I can't give you a review with snow/ice since I live in Louisiana.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-30-2014, 06:12 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Went with the DELTA quadbars... not anyting like some of the lights in DOC's shootout. but for 119 bucks, they are plug and play and great improvement over teh stock lights.

no complainsts !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #16 of 23 Old 05-01-2014, 01:05 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

I actually just put these in and am very impressed. Good light output and they drop in with minimal work. I lost track of the number of people at Jeep Beach who wanted more info on them

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.U2KZ_Vc007c

More info there: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...Sealed7/page19

Last edited by JTG; 05-01-2014 at 01:08 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Granite Guru

I went with HIDprojectors at first but had issues with one of the lights not turning on and returned the kit. I did some initial testing for them and they were great to work with.

Recently a vendor had the Peterson LED headlights (DOT approved) for $395 shipped. I figured it was a bargain compared to JW Speaker and gave them a shot.

The light output is great. I did have to purchase some factory adjustment bolts to adjust the beam left to right but that I was only a few bucks. US spec JK's only have up and down adjustment.

I have no experience with TruckLite, so I can't compare. They look like the same headlight to me.

If asked on a recommendation, I would go LED because the brightness is there and the bulb life is better than a HID bulb. Projectors, hands down, have the best beam pattern. There is no arguing that point.

2012 JKUR - Curb Crawler
RE 3.5" Springs/AEV Drop Brackets/Teraflex Monster Trackbar/Rancho RS9000 Shocks
Full Metal Fabworks Apex Bumpers and Solution Plate
Rugged Ridge Wheels with 37" BFG AT KO2's - TeraFlex Front BBK - Poison Spyder 50" windshield mounts with LED bar - Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer
post #18 of 23 Old 05-01-2014, 04:57 PM
JKO Addict!

I have JW Speakers in mine and the couple of times it did snow here I found them to work great. It's a huge difference driving with them compared to stock

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #19 of 23 Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 PM
zin
Wheeler

Just a quick question. Everyone running the jw speaker headlights those are the m 8700 evolution ones right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #20 of 23 Old 05-17-2014, 10:30 PM
PRS

I installed some Kc Highlites LED headlights a month ago. Over mother's day we had wet snow and low 30 temps. The headlights had a nice coating of slush on them since the LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt it off. I'm concerned about deterioration of the available light at night under these conditions. Anyone have any feed-back about this?

Thanks in advance.
post #21 of 23 Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I actually just put these in and am very impressed. Good light output and they drop in with minimal work. I lost track of the number of people at Jeep Beach who wanted more info on them

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.U2KZ_Vc007c

More info there: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...Sealed7/page19

I will be doing a full write up on these very soon (Read, this coming week/weekend). The new Morimoto lenses have DOT written on them. These are a nice option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #22 of 23 Old 05-23-2014, 06:51 AM
JKowners Vendor

We had a few sets at Jeep Beach too. It is very true that we sell our lights as Off Road use only. I am not aware of any retrofit that can sell their lights as DOT approved, regardless if they have DOT stamped on the lens.

Either way, we prefer to be upfront and honest so you know exactly what you're purchasing. Many places are lenient on lighting rules and our lights do exactly what a proper projector should do however we cannot in good conscience sell these as DOT approved.

It sounds like you've done your homework - there are many good aftermarket options out there to choose from - I hope whichever you end up with serve your needs well.

w:
e:
p: 716.662.3479

IG:

post #23 of 23 Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewDrakeNC
HID Projectors.com

I run the HIDProjectors.com Headlamps as well. I have in depth knowledge of Truck-Lite as I worked for them when we developed the LED Headlight for the Military originally.

That said - there are several great companies that manufacture LED Headlamps now - my advice - stay with a company that is no doubt going to take care of you if something happens.

I'llalso say - it depends on what you are looking to get out of your Headlamp.

I selected HIDProjectors.com because I wanted a little more "flare" than a standard LED Headlamp would offer. (TL, PM, Delta, KC, Dialight, etc).

I have Halo's, Angel Eyes and Devils Eyes - and I get a lot of compliments on mine...

I didn't buy them for the headlight output - I've got over 70,000 (true, not raw) Lumens on my rig - so I didn't care about how much the headlights put out. (I did go with their 55Watt version though!)

That said - go for what you want out of the headlight... if you want only an ED Headlamp - I wouldn't consider anyone's but Truck-Lite's for the Quality...

If you want a little added flare - go with HIDProjectors.com!!!
Attached Images

Thanks to all our WarFighters - Past, Present and Future - without you we would not enjoy the freedoms we have today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode