Stock RES Stereo with Factory Infinity Speakers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Stock RES Stereo with Factory Infinity Speakers?

Hey guys, I just got my a 2009 JK 2-door with the basic factory audio.

Wondering if I can just switch the speakers to the factory Infitity upgrade that I can get for a decent price. I figure the dimensions will be the same, but I am not sure about whether not having the amp etc... will not make any different.

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Rock God

You should be able to do this as I don't see why Jeep would change the wiring harness at the speaker end. Will you notice a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Since you're not increasing the amplifier power any change in tonal qualities will be due to speaker material rather then speaker quality.

Good luck and make sure you update us.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #3 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

MaloCS, thanks for the info. I am not looking for more volume butbetter range so that sounds like better speaker material would help. I reD your previousthreaxs so this is mostly to confirm.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by levosgien View Post
MaloCS, thanks for the info. I am not looking for more volume butbetter range so that sounds like better speaker material would help. I reD your previousthreaxs so this is mostly to confirm.
Thanks.
Not necessarily.

All different speaker material does is color the music differently. A harder material will result in brighter/harsher tones while a softer material will result in a warmer/mellower tone. For example, titanium tweets sound very bright while silk tweets sound warm. It's all about your listening preference and what type of sound you want out of your system.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #5 of 7 Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot and I'll post some feedback.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Granite Guru

I "upgraded" to the Infinity speakers in a 2009 X with the base stereo and aside from the tweeters I not only lost volume but the quality wasn't as good. The soundbar especially sucked with the Infinity speakers being pushed by the base HU. I switched back to the base 6.5" speakers but left the Infinity tweets in as they really expanded the high end.

I'll leave the Infinity speakers on the shelf until I can get an amp to drive them with and also my sub box installed.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-11-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkracing37 View Post
I "upgraded" to the Infinity speakers in a 2009 X with the base stereo and aside from the tweeters I not only lost volume but the quality wasn't as good.
Yea ended up putting them in and I have to say that I am a little dissapointed at the soundbar. It sounds a little worse. The front souund better but as you mentioned I think I sacrificed some volume.

However since I don't really go over 30 on the volume I'm still happy with this setup but the lower volume and worse soundbar are the sacrifices (I lowered the bass a little and and the fader) for a better mid-range sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode