Should I upgrade my 2008 RER maps? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-20-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Should I upgrade my 2008 RER maps?

So I'm kind of torn on whether to do this. I like using the in-car navigation as I use the MyGig's HDD for listening to most music (vs a cell phone via AUX, which could use cellular GPS nav) and appreciate the turn reminders when traveling.

However, upon moving back to PA from RI I'm finding that MANY addresses do not exist in the MyGig map database. I'm curious if anyone has forked out the nearly $200 for a recent NAVTEC map update for their RER MyGig and found that it was worth while or if their maps just suck in general and didn't fix the problems you previously had.

I just moved to State College PA, in a house/road that has existed for 25+ years, and my 2008 RER MyGig maps don't even recognize the road name. I'd hate to pay for an update and STILL not have it even fix being able to locate my HOME location.

Any input from anyone that has recently upgraded their map data? Waste of time and money, or was there significant improvement from ~08 to ~2013?

Obviously the simple and cheap solution is just playing tunes from my cell phone, which also has mapping applications, and getting the same result, but i hate fumbling with a cell phone to change songs and map data while driving. Plus AUX quality just isn't the same, and I live in an area with spotty cell coverage that kills streaming tunes quite often while driving around.

Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 AM
JKO Addict!

If you use it regularly and the only way to ensure it provides accurate information is to upgrade the maps then I'd say go for it. I'm in the same boat with upgrading the maps on RHB in our Grand Cherokee which I'll be doing before our road trip this summer.

If you can get the part # of the upgrade disc from the Navteq website, you might be able to save a few bucks by ordering on Amazon.

The bottom line is if you see a value in it, go ahead and do it.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I know Navtec needs to make money but damn, $200 a year.

I've grown used to my Galaxy S3 and Google maps that are extremely accurate and they update for free. C'mon Chrysler, switch to Google for your navigation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode