led back up lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607
led back up lights

I know there are some light vendors on here, one is named Jason if I remember correctly and we met off the other board having the same issues with our aftermarket lifts, I cannot remember his username or company name.

Here is what I am looking to fix, I have the rear shrockworks full width with tire carrier. It has the back up lights in it that they supplied and a year later they are dead, well to replace the bulb I have to remove the carrier, severe pain to get on much less back off after a year, then remove the bumper to be able to access the back of the lights. I am not knocking shrockworks it is a very nice bumper. Problem is the supplied fogs have screws that hold the lenses, that are sealed and harder than hell to pry off and once you get to that point you can't take the bulb out.

So long story short I would like a led flood set p that is totally sealed and hella bright if possible. I suppose the best way to describe it is how they are making a lot of the new led trailer lights, its all formed in epoxy so that they are vibration, shock/impact resistant and pretty damn element proof. I have changed to these on my utility trailer and boat trailer and are freaking great but I can only find them in nominal tractor trailer replacement sizes.

The cut out for the 2 fog lights are 2" by 5", with a slight radius on each corner, and as long as it comes with some sort of mounting bracket I can make it work.

I know some may say just swap to a housing that you can install a led bulb from the front and if I cannot get this that will be the way it will have to go but this would be preferred due to being totally sealed and almost hassle free for a very long time instead of bulb socket and wire termination to the socket connection problems in the future. I live on the coast and the salt air alone does enough much less the salty mud.

Thanks for any input.

Also for those that want to add back up lights and are worried that the canbuss is going to coc$ block you, don't worry, spliced right in and no issues in over a year until the bulbs went out and no notification that the bulbs went out either, well its fine as long as you stay around the average fog light like these and not some 100 watt a side monsters, lol

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Rock God

X2. I have run into the same problem with my Shrockworks rear bumper. I have 1 light out, the other has mud in it. We need a LED replacement.

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 PM
JKO Addict!

something like this work for you
http://www.awdirect.com/led-back-up-...ack-up-lights/

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 10-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Rock God

Those are too big for the cutout

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
post #5 of 42 Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 PM
JKO Addict!

I just looked at the bumper, what about mounting them behind the opening in the bumper. Mounting them behind would also add some protection for the lights. just an idea

|
|
post #6 of 42 Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
I just looked at the bumper, what about mounting them behind the opening in the bumper. Mounting them behind would also add some protection for the lights. just an idea
No room.... or very little if any. It is really a b!tch. I accidentally pulled one of the wires loose when I tied up the wiring... it was sagging a little - I should not have messed with it. If I drop the bumper I would also like to swap them out with some LEDs..... there has to be a set that can fit in there....
post #7 of 42 Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Rock God

bump..come on we need a set of LEDs that will work with this bumper

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
post #8 of 42 Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

How much room is behind the bumper in the area the existing light is mounted? How thick is the existing light?

I dont see why you couldnt buy one of the larger led truck type back up lights and glue it to the inside of the bumper. I have some 3m urethane adhesive that would work great, let me know if you can do this and I'll help you with the adhesive.

|
|
post #9 of 42 Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Good thread. My Shrockworks rear is supposed to be on the truck in the next couple of weeks and I'm hoping to find a solution before I do the install.
post #10 of 42 Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Rock God

no problems with mine yet
going on a year or so now

but im always interested in an upgrade as i have been wanting something brighter anyways
post #11 of 42 Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Rock God

The biggest problem is you have to have the lights IN PLACE before you install the bumper. So whatever you put there better be good and last a long time or be able to change the buld from the front.

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
post #12 of 42 Old 10-22-2009, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

So if you glue in the led light you wont have to worry about the changing a bulb. Remove the bumper, glue the light in, make a short harness you can plug in after install, then install the bumper and plug in the lights.
That is as long as the space for the original light is enough for the led light.

|
|
post #13 of 42 Old 10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Rock God

try this website

www.oznium.com

I have a bunch of LEDs from them that I plan on using for rock lights. I used these they are very bright and I think 2 per wheel would do the job for rock lights.
http://www.oznium.com/four-chip-led

I dont know if the 4 chip ones would work for back up lights but I am sure you will be able to find something on their website you can make work.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #14 of 42 Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Motorsports2

Have you seen these from VisionX?
Name:  XIL-S1100_6.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  54.6 KB
this is two Solstice Solo pods connected together. Each one is 2"x2" square. They are 10watt LED, light output is equivalent to about 85watts of halogen.
See thread for more pics http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...4#post10525604

post #15 of 42 Old 11-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsports2 View Post
Have you seen these from VisionX?
Attachment 13369
this is two Solstice Solo pods connected together. Each one is 2"x2" square. They are 10watt LED, light output is equivalent to about 85watts of halogen.
See thread for more pics http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...4#post10525604
Nice set-up but too much $$ for backup lights.

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
post #16 of 42 Old 11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am looking for those and they are pretty damn close...
on edit... here is a link:
http://www.visionxstore.com/index.ph...sort=6a&page=1

Like Doc said - badass but we would need two sets of two.. $476

I guess I need to remember how much of a PITA it was to drop the bumper..... and see if it is ~$500 worth of pain.

the cutouts in the bumper are 4"x2"

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 11-01-2009 at 09:00 PM.
post #17 of 42 Old 11-02-2009, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Do the lights that come with the bumper happen to have any part number on them? Mine haven't arrived yet so can't look for myself.

A good friend of mine is an electrician and is constantly "tinkering" with LEDs. I'm going to shoot him an email with some specs and see if he could build us something custom for a reasonable price. Maybe just using the light housing Shrockworks sends but replacing the guts with LED.
post #18 of 42 Old 11-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Wheeler

I am also waiting on my bumper...should ship before the end of the week. If your friend comes up with something let me know please.
post #19 of 42 Old 11-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
Do the lights that come with the bumper happen to have any part number on them? Mine haven't arrived yet so can't look for myself.

A good friend of mine is an electrician and is constantly "tinkering" with LEDs. I'm going to shoot him an email with some specs and see if he could build us something custom for a reasonable price. Maybe just using the light housing Shrockworks sends but replacing the guts with LED.

They are pilot navigator NV-803 lights.

I dropped my bumper this weekend. Replaced the bulbs in the lights, siliconed the crap out of them, sprayed the bumper with bedliner and now in the process of re-installing everything. Next time the lights go out I will find another light.

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
post #20 of 42 Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Rock God

Hey guys,

I finally found a solution for this at SEMA. I should have some more info soon on pricing. They are a sealed LED housing with a 3 wire hookup for the option of strobing the LEDs. Available in white, amber, red, or blue.

Size is 4 5/8" x 2" and is a bolt through housing. All you would need to mount these is an angle bracket at 90 degrees.

Also, I found one other option for quite a bit more and it would end up around $450 to fill the openings. For that price I would go with the VisionX Solstice LEDS.

Stay tuned...

James

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #21 of 42 Old 11-06-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Hey James I received your PM and replied, not sure if you got it though since I was out in the sticks on my cell. I sure appreciate you looking much less being able to find something as I do not want to keep removing the bumper to fix the lights. The strobe function would be nice for the a$$hats that get on your a$$ with the brights on!

So hurry up with the pics and the price already!!! Just kidding, have fun out there and keep us updated!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #22 of 42 Old 11-06-2009, 07:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM Offroad View Post
Hey guys,

I finally found a solution for this at SEMA. I should have some more info soon on pricing. They are a sealed LED housing with a 3 wire hookup for the option of strobing the LEDs. Available in white, amber, red, or blue.

Size is 4 5/8" x 2" and is a bolt through housing. All you would need to mount these is an angle bracket at 90 degrees.

Also, I found one other option for quite a bit more and it would end up around $450 to fill the openings. For that price I would go with the VisionX Solstice LEDS.

Stay tuned...

James
Great news! Looks like my bumper will be here on Monday. When might you have more info?
post #23 of 42 Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Good info!
post #24 of 42 Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Rock God

I should have some more info here by the end of the day on these but here are some pics that I took from the show.
Attached Images

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #25 of 42 Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The "Pilot Navigator" $26 junkers are 1"-H x 4"-W and they fit just right. I really like the ones that you found and the bolt through option is great! A little extra silicone and they would be good to go. I just think that they are too big..... it is closer than anything I have seen yet though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode