sound system upgrade - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 10-01-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

sound system upgrade

So.... i've seen alot of post's regarding the stock sound system used in the jeep and everyone seem's to want something better and some have even come up with some creative solutions and ideas
I did alot of research on the web and at local audio shops and found out some very interesting things re:the stock head unit such as it limits source signal to rear speakers, no pre-outs Etc.
That is when i decided the route i was going to take with my jeep
I replaced the stock deck with a KenWood, built a sub enclosure and wired in an amp I did not replace the stock surrounds! the difference is incredible!
The new deck alone really "woke-up" the stocks as it has fine tuning capabilities and higher wattage than the stock h/u

My advice for anyone wanting something better is to replace the h/u first and foremost and choose something with the features you want/like....
especially when dealing with a tight budget, then work in what you like from there
My whole upgrade cost less than $800 bucks including materials and tools needed to build my box and every time i crank it up....well lets just say i'm pretty happy

scene: Agaudo smashes cockroach to provoke ventura
Agaudo: Homicide!, ventura how you gonna solve that one?
Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I did custom audio for a long time and that is what I advised everyone to do, some sstock speakers running just off the headunit sounds really damn good sometimes. I've seen people change out everything out and sounded worse than stock as well, some people have to get what their buddies push them into and not listen and suffer with it to save face.

it sucks how a lot of aoto makers are making it harder and harder do to huge radios with big oversize faces that intergrate with the dash. jl audio and one or two other high end manufactures make factory intergration setups that are supposed to work really well with fixing xover issues, distortion, on and on. I may try one of them since I have the mygig. but if it goes out one day, game on....
post #3 of 40 Old 10-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Granite Guru

how many watts does your H/U push to your stocks?? Thanks for the info! I'll definitely replace my H/U first to see how it sounds on my Kenwoods I threw in the stock enclosures.

I was planning on a 5 channel amp, but if its up to my standards when I put in the Pioneer H/U then I'll opt out of the 5 channel and just throw in a 2 channel and the sub I just bought from JPaye.

Hoping it works out, Thanks again!!!

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

[QUOTE= jl audio and one or two other high end manufactures make factory intergration setups that are supposed to work really well with fixing xover issues, distortion, on and on. I may try one of them since I have the mygig. but if it goes out one day, game on....[/QUOTE]

maybe they have done well..... but for high end audio nothing beats dedicated pre-outs for your signal
it's too bad factory decks dont include those....
and i've been wondering... does the mygig support bluetooth stereo audio streaming? or just call reception....

Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
post #5 of 40 Old 10-02-2009, 02:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I still can't believe there are not rca outs or at least a way to solder in and add them. im sure the canbus screws us on that. the biggest thing to bypass would be thae amp since it is "locked" to where you can't change any of the eg parameters and such. its a shame... I really wish someone would make a double din that has all the mygig features, garming gps topical use maps, weather satellite imaging(see garmins site and the marine stuff and you will see what I mean) had all this on my garmin 3010c for the boat and it was great. then make it a mini pc with wireless keyboard and mouse it would be awesome! not for when im driving but the wife is in th jeep a lot and it would really come in handy as hell.
post #6 of 40 Old 10-02-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
I still can't believe there are not rca outs or at least a way to solder in and add them. im sure the canbus screws us on that. the biggest thing to bypass would be thae amp since it is "locked" to where you can't change any of the eg parameters and such. its a shame... I really wish someone would make a double din that has all the mygig features, garming gps topical use maps, weather satellite imaging(see garmins site and the marine stuff and you will see what I mean) had all this on my garmin 3010c for the boat and it was great. then make it a mini pc with wireless keyboard and mouse it would be awesome! not for when im driving but the wife is in th jeep a lot and it would really come in handy as hell.
Word!

I would have definatly shelled out some cash to the dealer for something along those lines...worked it in to the financing.... whateva,
but i already knew the stock deck or even mygig did'nt have the "juice" i was going to want in my ride
soon enough though i'm sure a high end in dash dvd w/gps will come along with those features and more
I'd like to see one of those electronic scrolling signs (think led scrolling sign)often seen in liquor store windows,
connected via bluetooth and placed in my back window so i can text messages to it (warning people to get off my ass! or flash my digits to a hot chick!
sorry carputer talk got me off track....
anyway...... does the mygig stereo stream audio?

post #7 of 40 Old 10-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjones View Post
I'd like to see one of those electronic scrolling signs (think led scrolling sign)often seen in liquor store windows,
connected via bluetooth and placed in my back window so i can text messages to it (warning people to get off my ass! or flash my digits to a hot chick!
You my friend are a genius, I'll get to work on this right when I get home!!

post #8 of 40 Old 10-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

This is what I put in mine, along with an amp and infinity speakers in the bar.

The rest is stock. And it rocks!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 40 Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge8604 View Post
You my friend are a genius, I'll get to work on this right when I get home!!
Thanks it's not often i'm recognised for my gift!
usually those who do are too jealous to give me props

post #10 of 40 Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thats pretty sick!
I will end up trading out my KenWood deck for dvd nav when the funds are available that and a new amp and i'll be set

post #11 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks it's not often i'm recognised for my gift!
usually those who do are too jealous to give me props
I give credit where credit is due.

I'm getting the Pioneer 4100DVD, it puts out 50Wx4 so I think it'll suffice for a good sounding set up. I love this thing, I can hook up my ipod, throw it in the glove box and control the ipod through the H/U. I'll be using my iphone for Nav

post #12 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ipod's are great but i did'nt want to carry more than one device so my blackberry curve serves as my portable
it streams my playlist via a2dp audio(stereo bluetooth)

post #13 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 01:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Ipod's are great but i did'nt want to carry more than one device so my blackberry curve serves as my portable
Yeah,
I had my jeep setup with wireless bluetooth streaming and some 10" kicker subs.

Was awesome until it all got stolen lol

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #14 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Yeah,
I had my jeep setup with wireless bluetooth streaming and some 10" kicker subs.

Was awesome until it all got stolen lol
WOW bro that reallllly blows!
if i ever caught anyone messin with my SH$% i'd probably end up in prison

post #15 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I wouldn't carry it, it would stay in the glove box locked up...only coming out for software and music updates

I wonder if I could stream music via bluetooth AND use nav at the same time through my iPhone.....but I only have 16GB so wouldn't be much room for music with all the apps

Sucks you got your crap stolen, I'm buyin the Tuffy locking glove box specifically since my Ipod and a few full Hi-Cap Mags for my gat piece will be in there.

post #16 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Dude(s)..the head unit that I have...You DON'T/WON'T need to carry an Ipod or cd's. It has the capibility to record cd's, mp3's wma's etc. I have so much space on the memory of my head unit to record chit...I don't need to carry anything else. Google it..the info you'll need is right there in my pic. It's a bad ass unit! You wont be sorry (if ya get it)!

post #17 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad View Post
Dude(s)..the head unit that I have...You DON'T/WON'T need to carry an Ipod or cd's. It has the capibility to record cd's, mp3's wma's etc. I have so much space on the memory of my head unit to record chit...I don't need to carry anything else. Google it..the info you'll need is right there in my pic. It's a bad ass unit! You wont be sorry (if ya get it)!
well i carry my phone so it's music player is my preferred choice....
with 8gb's of memory i currently have more than 1600 songs in my playlist!
I no longer carry cd's or a patch cable for that matter (music is streamed via A2DP) (Stereo Bluetooth Audio) and i get to make and receive calls through my Jeeps speakers

post #18 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

hmm..

post #19 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/prod...lId=MODL027893
Bluetooth thru the spaekers. no wires, no cd's, & no ipods. just keep waliking...

Last edited by ynkedad; 10-03-2009 at 08:06 PM.
post #20 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The most impressive piece of my system...at the moment anyway IMO
is my sub/box combo there are'nt alot of choices out there re: placement options (without spending waaaay too much anyway) (or taking up valuable space)
so i got creative with my setup and instead of the usual boring square enclosure i built it low and sturdy!
I can actually place close to 200#'s directly on the enclosure without fear of damaging it or the sub

here it is:http://www.flickr.com/photos/x08jk/

post #21 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

I like it!

post #22 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
http://support.jvc.com/consumer/prod...lId=MODL027893
Bluetooth thru the spaekers. no wires, no cd's, & no ipods. just keep waliking...
I also have the Motorola Stereo Bluetooth headphones for golfing,hiking/jogging mountainbiking/motorcycling Etc.

post #23 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I like it!
THANKS!

post #24 of 40 Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
The most impressive piece of my system...at the moment anyway IMO
is my sub/box combo there are'nt alot of choices out there re: placement options (without spending waaaay too much anyway) (or taking up valuable space)
so i got creative with my setup and instead of the usual boring square enclosure i built it low and sturdy!
I can actually place close to 200#'s directly on the enclosure without fear of damaging it or the sub

here it is:http://www.flickr.com/photos/x08jk/
Looks pretty sweet! Do you hide the wires and bolt in the box? The way the pictures show, looks like it could be a modular system. When you need the room, disconnect the wires, take out the box, tuck the wires and SHAZAAM you have even more room for cargo

The box does look sick though. If I didn't already have a layout for my plans and materials ordered i'd probably do your set up. Worst case scenario I'll just do it all over again

post #25 of 40 Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge8604 View Post
Looks pretty sweet! Do you hide the wires and bolt in the box? The way the pictures show, looks like it could be a modular system. When you need the room, disconnect the wires, take out the box, tuck the wires and SHAZAAM you have even more room for cargo

The box does look sick though. If I didn't already have a layout for my plans and materials ordered i'd probably do your set up. Worst case scenario I'll just do it all over again
The box is not bolted in yet and i dont ever plaaan on removing it...
I've already had the back of the Jeep stuffed with camping gear,rafting gear,
suitcases,my Pit's travel kennel,ice chest and so on,
so there is plenty of room to stow chit and if the fam's not ridin i can stiil lay the back seats down for more room

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode