Is it a bad TIPM? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Is it a bad TIPM?

Ok, so you might have read my old thread and if you commented there, then I appreciate your help, but there have been new developments and I wanted to start a new thread to keep the info coming, but sorta separated a bit.

So, long story short... I've been having trouble keeping a charge on my battery. First started early this month when we had some really cold nights (single digits Fahrenheit). I took the batter to Sears, they charged it, it went dead again after <1 week. Took it again, said they didn't think it was bad, but warrantied it out anyway to take out that variable.

Installed the new battery and all was well for about a week. It went dead again. Auto Zone charged it for me that time. I reinstalled it WITH ONLY MY STOCK HARNESSES and NO AFTERMARKET stuff (i.e. sPod, winch, etc.) and it ran fine for about 3 days. I took it to AZ and they tested it and said the battery was still fully charged. They did notice that my battery terminals were not tight. Apparently, when I put them on, I didn't tighten them down enough and they wiggled loose. So, we tightened them down fully and I went along on my way. Two days later (this morning) the JK was dead again.

Took it down to Globex today and Matt started digging. Found that the Jeep was pulling about .8-.9 amps when the Jeep was off. Started checking individual circuits and found one that was pulling about .75 amps or so. Pulled that fuse and the load went down to about .15 amps or so. The fuse... M38 (I think) it was the fuse to my power doors.

Now, some more back story that I dismissed as non-issues at the time.

Sometime last year, it might've been after Tata's, my driver's side power lock stopped working. I didn't really give a shit. I don't leave anything in the Jeep anyway since we all know they're not secure. No big deal and it never bothered me other than the off time when I would open the door before disarming the factory alarm system and my weakass horn would blow a few weak blows before I could get my key fob and turn it off.

Then, a few weeks ago (I can't pinpoint the date because I didn't think it was important then either), all my power locks stopped working.

So, it seems too much of a coincidence that the power locks all stopped working, that fuse is drawing power, and the battery is dying.

So, for now, we pulled the fuse for the power locks and I drove it home. I will run it for a few weeks to see if it holds up. If it does, then I'm thinking the TIPM might be bad, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has any better guesses.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Now for even more weirdness...

On the way home from Globex, I had 2 lights on the dash. One was the ESP light and the other was the ABS light. Now, I just went out to clear them (forgot when I got home) and they're not on and no trouble codes.

I'm more and more leaning toward a bad TIPM, but hoping someone out there has some ideas.

BTW, what's a TIPM cost... ballpark?

Quote:

post #3 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Rock God

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68966
Found this thread searching for price.

Autoguide, Seriously!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Rock God

10th post says about 300

Autoguide, Seriously!
post #5 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM
Wheeler

Yup bad tipm guy. Well, atleast when I replaced my tipm it solved the same issues that you are having. I got mine for cost 250 from a friend at a stealership. The only thing that differs in our situations was that my windows on my passengers side stoped working after the door lock issue. Then everything went nuts. Good luck my friend. Oh, and mine is an 07.

"WARRIOR"
post #6 of 9 Old 02-01-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok, that makes me feel a little better. At least I "know" what the issue is.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Quote:

post #7 of 9 Old 02-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Rock God

keep it

I'm selling my spare only because the LS doesn't need one. Any TIPM will work on any jk with the same engine. I use a spare 08 auto TIPM on my 07 manual when I know I'm gonna sink ir.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Keep what, Deuces?

Quote:

post #9 of 9 Old 07-29-2014, 06:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

ever figure this out? my jeep wont start, did weird stuff right before it wouldnt start

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode