Ham antenna on the hood? (2m/70cm) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 09-18-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ham antenna on the hood? (2m/70cm)

I'm looking to add a 2m/70cm radio to the jeep and I already have a CB antenna on the tailgate. The tailgate mount creates several problems I'd like to avoid with the ham setup, namely TINY ground plane, cable routing, and cable flex.

The ideal antenna mount on most vehicles is an NMO connector in the center of the roof because it is high up and has large sheet metal area for the ground plane. With no metal in the roof the hood becomes the only area left. An angle bracket at the hood seam would work but it puts the antenna really close to the trees, and I've already bent my stereo antenna. This still leaves a big area with no metal under it.

What about drilling a hole and putting an NMO connector right behind the footman loop on the hood and running the cable between the hood and the heat shield blanket? The rib in the hood makes a V at the footman loop, so the area just aft of it is a single layer of metal in the point of that V. It should be pretty stout.

The other idea is to just fab a bracket and mount the antenna by one of the hood hinges. That leads to more issues though such as routing cable into the cowl without pinching it, closer proximity to the passengers (rf exposure?), and closer to the A pillars and windshield frame.

Anyone have pics of mounting antennas near the center of the hood?

Bryan.

2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited Rescue Green 6 Speed
Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode