Question on replacing the PSX24W fogs with LEDs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-08-2014, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question on replacing the PSX24W fogs with LEDs

I've been doing a lot of research on fogs since one of my PSX24W bulbs burned out.
There are numerous threads of people converting to LED lights, but only one thread brought up a concern I have.

The recent extreme cold weather and snowfall made me realize how important it is to have true fog lights. Something that will light up the road markings, but not throw so much light back in my face as to make snow/fog driving dangerous.

It was stated that true fog lights have a 'cut off' to keep the light from projecting too far upward, and that LED lights tend to scatter light all over. I'm not 100% convinced of this (I don't remember seeing anything on the bulb or in the housing that would do this).

What would be a good LED conversion to use that will not blind oncoming drivers, and can be utilized in snowy/foggy conditions?
Anyone have pics of their LED fogs in snow/fog situations?

I don't care if it is the Rigid replacement, Vision X, or a cheap $15 LED bulb as long as it works correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2014, 10:03 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The issue I see with any LED option out there, including the Vision X is that they aren't using corrected optics for the low cut off that a true fog light requires. The best option would be to do projector fogs with HID bulbs, but that is a lot of money. Otherwise, you will get some cast off above cut off with anything LED. I just posted a thread using a 10* spot in place of my fogs, I have them aimed down so the majority of the light ends up with 30 feet of the front bumper and the remaining cast off illuminated road signs and markings pretty well. I have not tested this setup in snow, rain, or fog yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2014, 12:33 PM
JKO Addict!

I tried the cheap LED replacement bulb option last year. Honestly wasn't worth a darn as the bulb only last a few months before several of the SMD chips overheated and burned off and shorting out the bulb. Luckily only out about $14 on that one.

Like JKCTAZ mentioned, doing a retrofit with the Rigid or Vision you're likely not going to have an appropriate beam pattern that will be a useful replacement for factory fog lights. Maybe consider looking at the Truck-Lite 80275's or the JW Speaker 6130 which has a beam pattern more suited as a fog light replacement.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

We have had success using transparent amber vinyl over our led's. Even on really cold days with no fog there can be a haze that creates a glare with the led's color temp.

The amber slightly lowers the output but also helps to keep you from getting flashed by oncoming traffic.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Wheeler

I just installed these lights 10 Deg narrow beam I like them a lot.

I drove with the main light switch off. They projected farther than the main lights.

Very "white" light out front where you want them. Very good side spread as well not as focused as the 10deg beam but still way better than the "Stock".

http://www.inspired-engineering.com/product-p/ie-44.htm
post #6 of 7 Old 01-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Wheeler

if i had to do it agin i would try something like this
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pure-...444567351.html
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2014, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Interesting idea, LittleRed, but with the Rugged Ridge bumper and a Rubicon, that heat sink would not fit the passenger side due to the disconnect motor.

I'm seriously thinking about the 4" spot LEDs sold by KMD Garage to replace my fogs. gotta wait for warmer weather, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode