BigMike's Relay Accessory Box - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-05-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
BigMike's Relay Accessory Box

I was going to order an SPOD but I like to make things. So, with the help of some threads here and elsewhere as a guide, I made this over the Christmas holiday.

List of materials:

Project Box from Radio Shack $10
Relays and Relay Sockets (5) from eBay $15 (remove the red wire from the socket with a paper clip and it becomes a SPST relay).
Fuse block from Amazon $8
Terminal block from Home Depot $7
14ga Wire and terminals from Home Depot $40
Rugged Ridge A-Pillar Switch Panel from Quadratec $85
Bussman 50A relay from Amazon $25
Protective Split Wire Housing from Home Depot $7

All in I have around $200 in it plus the satisfaction of making it. I didn't install diodes across the coils in the relays. I can always do it in the future but I really don't feel they are necessary. You will notice that I ran a Positive Battery Lead to the switch panel - which means the ignition doesn't have to be on to power the switches (they're hot all of the time just like the SPOD). While there are only 4 switches in the Rugged Ridge Panel, I wired the harness and box to accept 6 switches and relays. I will add two more relays to the box when I need them and add the switches to the panel at that time. Due to space constraints in the A-Pillar panel, the additional 2 switches will probably be the smaller round type.

I didn't get a ton of pictures but you get the idea. I did create a very detailed drawing using PowerPoint. I hope you get a good idea of how it works. Feel free to post questions or PM me.

Here is the drawing. I tried to make it comprehensive because I didn't find one anywhere on the web.

Rugged Ridge Panel installed

The relay box assembled

A bracket that I fabbed up from some aluminum strap I had laying around. It sits about 3/8" above the battery.

Pics of the box installed

There is a great spot to come through the firewall down by the brake booster.

Enjoy!

spod relay wiring lights accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 01-15-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Granite Guru

Very handy. Thanks
post #3 of 12 Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Rock God

I like it..

I am thinking of taking it one step further by integrating the TIPM into that apparantly water-proof packageing... except Robbie says my 5.3 dosnt NEED the TIPM so it might be overkill.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Polycase has some nice waterproof cases.
http://www.polycase.com/

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 01-06-2014 at 11:41 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Wow, this is very nice. Now you have my wheels turning! I love being able to sit down at my work bench, and put together "puzzles" like this, as I call them.

Do you have links to the parts that you ordered, or at least more details of them so I can look to order them as well??

Black 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S. Teraflex 2.5" Lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Warn Elite Series Front Bumper, Windshield LED Lights. Next on the list: Warn Elite Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, rock sliders, More Off Road Lights, 33" tires, Dick Cepek Gun Metal 7 wheels, and who knows what else.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-15-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfirewarrior View Post
Wow, this is very nice. Now you have my wheels turning! I love being able to sit down at my work bench, and put together "puzzles" like this, as I call them.

Do you have links to the parts that you ordered, or at least more details of them so I can look to order them as well??
I updated the original post with links.

, Granite,
post #7 of 12 Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I updated the original post with links.
Awesome. Thank you sir.

Black 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S. Teraflex 2.5" Lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Warn Elite Series Front Bumper, Windshield LED Lights. Next on the list: Warn Elite Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, rock sliders, More Off Road Lights, 33" tires, Dick Cepek Gun Metal 7 wheels, and who knows what else.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Wheeler

Anybody know what the total number of switches you can run off of one source is? I'm putting together a 4 circuit fuse and relay block for compressor, lights, locker solenoid, and TBD, and want to have everything "accessory on". I currently have a set of windshield mounted Hella's with the fused source for the switch running off of one of the factory 25amp circuits. Would it be safe and adequate to piggy all 4 switches from this one source, or should I break it up? If I need to break it up, any suggestions would be helpful. Sorry if this is a little too "side-topic", struggling to find some good info on this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 12 Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly311 View Post
Anybody know what the total number of switches you can run off of one source is? I'm putting together a 4 circuit fuse and relay block for compressor, lights, locker solenoid, and TBD, and want to have everything "accessory on". I currently have a set of windshield mounted Hella's with the fused source for the switch running off of one of the factory 25amp circuits. Would it be safe and adequate to piggy all 4 switches from this one source, or should I break it up? If I need to break it up, any suggestions would be helpful. Sorry if this is a little too "side-topic", struggling to find some good info on this.

1 switch, 1 relay.

, Granite,
post #10 of 12 Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Wheeler

yes, I completely understand the 1:1 switch:relay ratio. I'm trying to figure out how many switches can use the same power source to power the switches. Currently running my one switch for my lights from a 25amp factory "accessory on" circuit. Is it possible and safe to use that one circuit/source to power all 4 switches, or does it need to be broken up? Each switch/accessory will have it's own relay, just trying to find a good way to source the switches and retain "accessory on" for all 4.

tkelly311
post #11 of 12 Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly311 View Post
yes, I completely understand the 1:1 switch:relay ratio. I'm trying to figure out how many switches can use the same power source to power the switches. Currently running my one switch for my lights from a 25amp factory "accessory on" circuit. Is it possible and safe to use that one circuit/source to power all 4 switches, or does it need to be broken up? Each switch/accessory will have it's own relay, just trying to find a good way to source the switches and retain "accessory on" for all 4.

tkelly311
You can run as many as you want to depending on the gauge of the wire. The power required to power the switch/relay is so small there shouldn't be a worry. Especially if you're running it from a 25amp factory accessory on circuit.

EDIT: Just make sure that the power for the accessory (not the power for the switch to activate the relay) comes directly from the battery. That is the entire purpose of the relay and bypassing the JK's harness.

, Granite,

Last edited by BigMike; 03-31-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 AM
Wheeler

Yeah the load to the relays to power the accessories will come from the battery. I'll have a 100amp circuit breaker going from the battery to a 6 circuit fuse panel w/ground bus so all 4 relays will have their own fused circuit to power the accessories. I figured the source for the switch could be shared since the draw for the switches is like 1.5 each. Just wasn't sure if 4 switches on 1 25amp source would be too much or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode