Hard Top Wiring Harness HELP on 2012?! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Hard Top Wiring Harness HELP on 2012?!

Did the obligatory search and found nothing to address this issue. Just tried to install the OEM wiring harness for the hard top I recently bought for my Unlimited. PN is 82212860. MoparOnlineParts.com indicates this is the PN for '07 - present. Instructions say to remove a grommet in the firewall and pass the harness through it to under the dash before routing through the body.

Nice plan.

First problem is that the plug that attaches to the top will not begin to fit through that hole. Not no way. Not no how.

Second problem is that there is a structural shape behind the hole which gives me serious doubts that the plug would actually go anywhere even if I could get it through the hole.

So . . . anybody have first-hand knowledge on this? Thought about just trying to run the wiring from inside out instead of per the instructions, but that's going to be a major pain. May be the only option though. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Wheeler

I just installed one on my 13, but i'm sure they are similar....I'm assuming that you are trying to pass the harness from the engine bay through the hole in the fire wall? Start with the harness in the cabin and run the wires through the firewall into the engine bay. You may need to use a wire hanger to get it through the whole as it is near the top of the engine bay.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Wheeler

Also, the rear wiper and rear defroster on mine did work without the computer being reprogrammed but the wiper was a little wonky. I would recommend testing both wipers after you connect up the pump to make sure that the washers are working properly. If i recall, when i did mine the new pump had arrows on it for what i thought was going to be front and back. I was wrong and the fluid was coming out bass ackwards.

Oh yeah, if you test the rear washer without the hose connect to anything (or run to a bottle), it will shoot about 10 yards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

It WILL go through the hole... the hole is tight... but the hole will end up over the bracket for the pedal/steering column... its not the easiest to do, but it can be done... use the coat hanger to guide a string through, then use the string to pull the wires... and if need be, de-pin the connector and run the wires through, then reinstall them into the connector...
post #5 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
It WILL go through the hole... the hole is tight... but the hole will end up over the bracket for the pedal/steering column... its not the easiest to do, but it can be done... use the coat hanger to guide a string through, then use the string to pull the wires... and if need be, de-pin the connector and run the wires through, then reinstall them into the connector...
Are you talking about the electrical plug on the end, or the new rubber plug about 4' from one end of the harness?

If you're saying the electrical plug will fit, i'd be interested in a measurement on the size of the hole in your firewall, and/or some pics. I peeled back the hose so all I was trying to pass through the hole was the electrical connector. I swear, all four corners of the plug hit the face of the firewall. The only option I see for getting it installed is to run it backwards from the instructions and come at it from the inside first like JCR27 said, or de-pin it as you said, and I ain't looking forward to either one of those options. Did I mention I hate wiring? Almost as much as I hate plumbing.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Are you talking about the electrical plug on the end, or the new rubber plug about 4' from one end of the harness?

If you're saying the electrical plug will fit, i'd be interested in a measurement on the size of the hole in your firewall, and/or some pics. I peeled back the hose so all I was trying to pass through the hole was the electrical connector. I swear, all four corners of the plug hit the face of the firewall. The only option I see for getting it installed is to run it backwards from the instructions and come at it from the inside first like JCR27 said, or de-pin it as you said, and I ain't looking forward to either one of those options. Did I mention I hate wiring? Almost as much as I hate plumbing.
You start running the harness from the back left corner by the tail light, and run it along the floor and up to the dash, then through. I did it on my previous JK and took video that I haven't had time to edit into a full write-up video yet. Once you've got the wiring fished up, you need to wiggle the new rubber plug though sideways and press it into place. Here's some screen caps showing me fishing the wire up through the hole into the engine compartment:

Last edited by J1000; 12-22-2013 at 06:13 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

^^^Thanks for the pictures, J1000. Pretty much what I figured I'm going to have to do. But it is totally backwards from the factory instructions that come with the harness. Good to know the rubber will pass through from the inside.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode