Question on H4 light bulbs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question on H4 light bulbs

I am running the IPF replacement headlights in my Jk. The bulbs are what came with the kit just standard IPF bulb with 55/60 watt rating. I want to go brighter and I have been looking at Piaa bulbs extreme white H4 which is 110/100 watts. Any suggestions? I am not changing headlight units so don't suggest that. Just looking for a bulb in the housing b

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 PM

I'm running 80/100 watt H4s in Hella housings. Got my bulbs from a Porsche shop in Marietta on South Cobb Parkway. Work just fine for my use, and I don't get people in the other direction flashing me like they are blinded.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Anybody else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyCollector View Post
I'm running 80/100 watt H4s in Hella housings. Got my bulbs from a Porsche shop in Marietta on South Cobb Parkway. Work just fine for my use, and I don't get people in the other direction flashing me like they are blinded.
You running the H13 to H4 harness with "plastic connectors" with the new bulbs? Only ask cause I wanted to do the same and worried about melting the connector at the bulb. Was wondering if you needed to run a high heat ceramic H4 connector with the higher watt bulbs just to be safe?
post #5 of 11 Old 12-14-2013, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bump

post #6 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I too am runnning the IPF headlight upgrade. I bought them brand new off of a guy that never used them. The bulbs weren't there though. I went to Oreilly's and dropped about $65 on a pair of bulbs. They are only 65/55 watts...but I am very pleased with them.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...576&ppt=C0335#

They didn't even keep them out on the shelf. They came from the back and were in a solid plastic case. They have worked great for 6 months with no issues. Only problem I experienced was people bright lighting me! I had to adjust them down a bit. Great, white light output. Hope this helps!
post #7 of 11 Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Rock God

Not sure how well the wiring will handle the extra current. I have melted connectors with 80/100 bulbs in the past. These days I run +80 globes, but you can now get +120. They are still 55/60W but output 80% more & 120% more visible light than the standard ones.

I am quite happy with my +80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Granite Guru

check the rallylights . com for hellas #hl83210 80/100w for $22 a set bright as hell only thing is they only last for 12 months or so...
post #9 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Rock God

I run 55/100w h4's with a h13 to H4 conversion I made from h13 bulbs soldered a h4 harness to it. Ran this for 2 years now and no issues or melted wires. I did a voltage drop test and the difference between 65w and 100w high beams was minimal.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #10 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Rock God

I'd also consider this type of 50W LED H4s. Not sure how they would go for depth though, & the fans might have problems in time with water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Granite Guru

I'm running Hella H4 E-code housings with Hella 80/100 watt bulbs from rallylights.com with power supplied by a separate wiring harness that gets the load out of the OEM CAN-BUS system. I've had them for 2 years now and haven't burnt out a bulb. The beam pattern has a much sharper vertical cutoff than the original headlights' beam pattern, so even though these lights are so much brighter, they actually glare less into oncoming drivers' eyes. These "old school" halogen lights don't attract attention from the police like HIDs do, and I haven't had any of the bulb/ballast/ignitor problems with every single HID headlight kit (both aftermarket and factory-installed) that I've had.

: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode