CB help/input - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-10-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

CB help/input

Looking at getting a Cobra 75 WX ST for in the Jeep. I found this package setup from my googling: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/co...-road-kit.html

I'm going to get the 4' firestick and the TF spare tire Antenna mount. Is everything in this worth it? It comes with the radio, ant., ant. Mount, ext. speaker, and a SWR meter. Is the SWR meter needed? From reading this is a common setup and it seems to get good SWR readings with out being tuned. I think I'm competent enough to tune it if needed though. What about the ext. speaker? Is the hand held unit speaker quiet enough to need one? I've never messed with any of this stuff so I'm learning. After my last couple wheeling trips and events with my friends I feel it would have been easier to keep everybody on the same page if I wasn't the only person without a cb, especially since I organized the gatherings and lead the group. Any input or suggestions are helpful. Making me look like an asshat is cool too. Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I'm all about hard wired radios, not totally sure about this setup I never used the all in one radios. Honestly though ask yourself a few questions:

1. Do you plan on using your radio only when in a pack of people?
2. Do you plan on using it to talk while you are more than 3 / 4 miles away from everyone?

If YES to 1. and NO to 2. then I would suggest getting a hand held. No need to install anything in your JK. http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-HH-38-WX-ST/dp/B00004TKVD is what I have for CB comms. Though people here on Oahu do not really use CBs so I do not use it very often. When I lived in Virginia I had a truck and a hardwired radio. I could talk to people all over the place there, sometimes I could hear people but could not "reach" out to them. A handheld does not have the range of a hardwired radio, but if you are just using it for line of sight the ~5watt handheld will do fine.

Another route you could go is HAM, you have to take a $15 test and get a license from the FCC. This opens up a lot more frequencies that you can legally broadcast on, gives you an actual call sign, and allows you access repeaters in your area. I have a hardwired 2M (144Mhz) VHF radio in my JK, also a Dual band VHF/UHF handheld radio.

KH7FC

FCC(SW) USN, 2002 - present
post #3 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

It might work OK without being tuned, but if you want the best range then you will have to tune it. It's not just the radio and antenna that need to be tuned, everything in the immediate vicinity of the antenna can affect the SWR, the size/type of vehicle, and even the antenna location on the Jeep can affect the SWR and antenna efficiency. If the SWR is too far out of whack it can damage the radio (although I've never actually seen it happen). Plus setting the SWR is not very hard if you have the tool.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
I'm all about hard wired radios, not totally sure about this setup I never used the all in one radios. Honestly though ask yourself a few questions:

1. Do you plan on using your radio only when in a pack of people?
2. Do you plan on using it to talk while you are more than 3 / 4 miles away from everyone?

If YES to 1. and NO to 2. then I would suggest getting a hand held. No need to install anything in your JK. http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-HH-38-WX-ST/dp/B00004TKVD is what I have for CB comms. Though people here on Oahu do not really use CBs so I do not use it very often. When I lived in Virginia I had a truck and a hardwired radio. I could talk to people all over the place there, sometimes I could hear people but could not "reach" out to them. A handheld does not have the range of a hardwired radio, but if you are just using it for line of sight the ~5watt handheld will do fine.

Another route you could go is HAM, you have to take a $15 test and get a license from the FCC. This opens up a lot more frequencies that you can legally broadcast on, gives you an actual call sign, and allows you access repeaters in your area. I have a hardwired 2M (144Mhz) VHF radio in my JK, also a Dual band VHF/UHF handheld radio.
Yes to 1. I haven't even thought about the handheld units cause the last time I saw one it was practical a tank. I think this may be the way I go! It has everything I was looking for in that cobra 75 (small, out of the way, easy to hide from peering eyes). Plus I don't have to worry about wiring anything up. Thanks for your help!

post #5 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
It might work OK without being tuned, but if you want the best range then you will have to tune it. It's not just the radio and antenna that need to be tuned, everything in the immediate vicinity of the antenna can affect the SWR, the size/type of vehicle, and even the antenna location on the Jeep can affect the SWR and antenna efficiency. If the SWR is too far out of whack it can damage the radio (although I've never actually seen it happen). Plus setting the SWR is not very hard if you have the tool.
I have read about too much SWR. That setup does come with the gauge, and that website had an easy write up on how to tune. Most of what I learned on CB's was from that site. From installs and antennas to trouble shooting. Thanks for the help guys!

post #6 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Rock God

I was out on a night ride a few weeks back and we were coming out in a crazy dense fog. We were almost out but the road forked and the fog was so dense that one of the other Jeeps didn't even notice the fork and drove the wrong way for miles before we realized he wasn't with us. We were talking on the CBs several miles apart but were able finally figure out where he was (he left his map back at camp) and how to get him back to us. With CBs, it took us 2 hours to meet back up. Without? Who knows.

I have a handheld as well and it's great for spotting but its very easy to forget(like his map), they use batteries like crazy and if you get separated, they are about worthless.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Wheeler

CB installed in the jeep would be more convenient & one less thing to have to remember to bring along. I have the Teraflex rear tire carrier mount & like it.

If you're looking to buy the stuff separately vs packaged, maybe someone in your area might be willing to let you use their SWR meter.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Granite Guru

Depending on your area you won't get any where near to 3/4 of a mile with a handheld. Even if they have a full 4 watt handheld I often can't hear people within 1/4 of a mile in the mountains. I can hear people with external antennas behind them perfectly though.

Do not recommend hand held units for cb's. At least not in the mountain ranges.

As far as the swr meter, I bought one at radio shack and have used it for maybe 10 jeeps. Might want to check with your local jeepers first to see if you can borrow one. It's worth the investment if you have a few people who will use it.
post #9 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Granite Guru

I have a Cobra handheld. http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-HHROADTR.../dp/B000069DOV For me it's more practical. I dont need a bigass CB whip permanently installed on my jeep to get caught up in my garage door.

stick the damn antenna to your cowling by your radio antenna run it thru your door, wrap it around the passenger grab handle a few times and you're good. sits in my cup holder nicely. dont really need an external speaker either unless you're rollin around offroad with Jay-Z or Lady Gaga pumpin on the subs. if you're worried about batteries, it takes 9, but it doesn't eat batteries anyhow, you can plug the DC adapter into the outlet in your center console and you'll be good.

a perm installed one may be alot cleaner and may make you look like a hardcore wheeler, but the handheld works.

when i'm done wheelin, i unhook it all, antenna goes in garage, cb goes in center console on ch19 to occasionally talk shit to the truckers who like drag race for 5 miles on a 2 lane interstate doin 60 in a 75.

and, as stated, works good for spotting or takin with you when your wanderin around drunk takin a piss and fall down into a canyon or step in a bear trap. incase you can't yell loud enough and the wolves are circling ya.

'64 CJ-5, '74 Bronco, '79 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '92 XJ, '96 XJ, '99 XJ, '01 TJ, '01 XJ, 2013 JKU.

2013 Commando Green JKU
35x12.50/17 Falken Rocky Moutain ATS
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
Diablo Sport Trinity (garbage)
Sleeve, Truss, ARB, Chromo D30
post #10 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Rock God

I have a hard wired cb with an external speaker and the cobra road trip hand held. The hand held is great for spotting and close range also as a loaner. If you plan on having your doors off, windows down or top off you'll want an external speaker. I have one mounted on my roll bar right above the head rest. Works great.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper2008 View Post
Looking at getting a Cobra 75 WX ST for in the Jeep. I found this package setup from my googling: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/co...-road-kit.html
I bought this very setup from that vendor, very happy with it.
I wrote about my install here (posts 17 & 18)

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=17

2013 Sahara Unlimited

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
post #12 of 27 Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Connected to an equivalent antenna, the Cobra all-in-one you're looking at won't be significantly less capable than a legal mobile unit. A hand-held has some advantages, but also some drawbacks, as mentioned.

My setup is a Midland 75-822 with a 4' Firestick. Works fine. Comes with the parts to adapt it to function like the Cobra, or for use as a stand-alone hand-held. Best of both worlds.

I think you'll definitely want some kind of external speaker with either of these, or with a mobile rig, for that matter. My factory stereo has the audio in jack, so I just use it for the external. Saves some expense and the trouble of mounting something else. The drawback is that you obviously can't listen to music while you're using the radio that way. But my CB (and my Yaesu all-band) are for limited use, task-specific comms anyway.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #13 of 27 Old 12-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Vin
Granite Guru

My biggest beef with hand healds instead of hard wired CBs is Murphy's Law. I've done it with my phone on regular roads, so I'm sure if I had a hand held bouncing around off road, it would eventualy fall to somewhere I couldn't reach it. That being said I installed a Cobra 75WX, and will eventually get a hand held for a spotter/rig combo.
post #14 of 27 Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have that setup and it has worked great for my use. Mine gets used for travel to and from trials and on trails. I also have a Cooltec Mic mount bracket, I didnt have to drill holes in the dash with this setup.

post #15 of 27 Old 12-12-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

A lot of good info guys. I'm going to go with the hand held unit. If it don't work out I'll try to unload it and move up to a hard wired setup. Thanks!

post #16 of 27 Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper2008 View Post
A lot of good info guys. I'm going to go with the hand held unit. If it don't work out I'll try to unload it and move up to a hard wired setup. Thanks!

I think you'll like it. But if not, they seem to be pretty popular so unloading it shouldn't be too difficult. Get a retractable mic mount from a truck stop and you won't have any issues with it falling.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #17 of 27 Old 12-14-2013, 12:48 PM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

Just do not mount the antenna on the Teraflex bracket my god....

you will be back complaining about SWR in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..
post #18 of 27 Old 12-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post

I've had my mounted on the TF bracket for a couple years now and I haven't had any issues with my SWR getting out of whack.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #19 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post

I used the teraflex tire mount bracket and had SWR problems. They were solved by grounding the tailgate and scraping off the paint from the bracket where the bolts attached it to the tire carrier as well as the underside of the antenna mount where the coax connects. repainted everything after it was assembled. Been go to go ever since.

2013 Sahara Unlimited

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
post #20 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

OK so it seems most are for the hard wired CB, What CB do you think is best?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #21 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdog702 View Post
OK so it seems most are for the hard wired CB, What CB do you think is best?
The question is kind of a moot point if we are talking about legal cb's which anyone you can buy these days is limited to 4watt output legally. I personally am not a fan of the cobra 75's as if you damage the mic or cord you're out of a radio. I would go for something like a cobra 19 or midland cb1. If you're going to spend any money on anything get quality coax and an antenna. I'd have to agree that checking the SWR is important as any installation goes things can happen and I've seen many radios at work (large trucking company) die due to swr problems.

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
post #22 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Rock God

Good news is you don't need to spend much to get a decent radio. Midland and Uniden both make good compact models if you want to go that way. (avoid the Cobra 19 though) I have a Uniden 520xl that has worked great. Had 2 bad cobra 19s, one right out of the box.

If you want to go full size you can spend a bunch and have it tuned and peaked to increase range. Output to 4 watts is technically the legal limit but pretty much everything out there puts out less than 3 watts from the factory. (no matter what they claim)

Considering where you started from with the CB idea I would keep it simple and just get some basic stuff.

Wheelin with a group where everyone has CBs is way more enjoyable and there seems to be less confusion about where everyone is and where they want to go. Enjoy!

post #23 of 27 Old 12-17-2013, 03:25 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMoney View Post
The question is kind of a moot point if we are talking about legal cb's which anyone you can buy these days is limited to 4watt output legally. I personally am not a fan of the cobra 75's as if you damage the mic or cord you're out of a radio. I would go for something like a cobra 19 or midland cb1. If you're going to spend any money on anything get quality coax and an antenna. I'd have to agree that checking the SWR is important as any installation goes things can happen and I've seen many radios at work (large trucking company) die due to swr problems.
Normally I would agree with this. I have UNIDEN PC-78 ELITE in my work truck great sturdy radio, everything lights up at night. The reason I went with the Cobra 78 in the Jeep is for stealth. The whole thing, including the mic, can be locked in the center console. I have a quick disconnect for the antenna, stow it in the back in seconds, the antenna bracket is hidden between the tire and the back of the Jeep. When I want to, you'd never know there was a CB in the thing without real close inspection.

2013 Sahara Unlimited

post #24 of 27 Old 12-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
Normally I would agree with this. I have UNIDEN PC-78 ELITE in my work truck great sturdy radio, everything lights up at night. The reason I went with the Cobra 78 in the Jeep is for stealth. The whole thing, including the mic, can be locked in the center console. I have a quick disconnect for the antenna, stow it in the back in seconds, the antenna bracket is hidden between the tire and the back of the Jeep. When I want to, you'd never know there was a CB in the thing without real close inspection.

I can see the reasoning there. They are definitely a small unit.

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
post #25 of 27 Old 12-18-2013, 05:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMoney View Post
I can see the reasoning there. They are definitely a small unit.
I live in the Philadelphia, PA area, stealth keeps the crack heads from trying to steal it.

2013 Sahara Unlimited

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode