Waterproof improvements. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Waterproof improvements.

Hello to everyone, I'm a newbe on these grounds. I'm from Chile in South America.
I've my 2007 JK Rubi Unltd. (V6-3.8L) since OCT'08. I'm looking for a pretty good snorkel (SAFARI, AEV, etc.) because I like very much deep wading (crossing rivers and stuff like that). So I want to know your experience with these products, and specialy if it's recomendable to make others improvements such us raising the breathers, any electrical isolation, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Talk to tkob106, he has the biggest cajones for deep water I've seen
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13644

He has a River Raider snorkel and it seems to work for him - the pic in the above thread with the water up to the windshield definitely says good things about it!

I have an AEV snorkel on my Jeep and have had no problems.
River Raider just released a kit to extend ALL of your breathers, I need to snag one of those soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodyCri View Post
Hello to everyone, I'm a newbe on these grounds. I'm from Chile in South America.
I've my 2007 JK Rubi Unltd. (V6-3.8L) since OCT'08. I'm looking for a pretty good snorkel (SAFARI, AEV, etc.) because I like very much deep wading (crossing rivers and stuff like that). So I want to know your experience with these products, and specialy if it's recomendable to make others improvements such us raising the breathers, any electrical isolation, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Hello and welcome to the forum, I love deep water and mud also

I have a River Raider snorkel, a bunch of my friends have the aev, both are great, Safari doesnt have a left hand drive model out yet, Your jeep is left hand drive or right?

Breathers definitely need to be raised, River raider just came out with a kit you can see info here https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13725

I also did a write up for breathers to do it yourself here
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13156

I havent done anything electrical except add dielectric grease to the spark plugs. You'll want to get a spare radiator fan motor or look into getting a waterproof motor from a maker like Spal, the stock motor Sucks.
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12410

ok Venom types and collects info faster then me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you are doing some deep water forging you'll need to keep around a cover for the A/C intake in front of the windshield. A non-venting gas cap, or be sure water won't enter the tank with the current one. If you have on board air, make a connection to your breathers and pump a few PSI into the diff's and tranny. Try to raise your exhaust and put a drain plug at the lowest point; you won't be able to restart the engine if it stalls and stays off for any period of time. Put a kill switch on the radiator fan and place cardboard in front of the radiator to create as much of an air pocket under the hood as possible. Make sure the door seals are good and close off the tailgate vent. You’re going to get water in the cab but the idea is to slow it as much as possible to keep the rig afloat. I've made a few 4'+ crossings in Iceland and this is what I could remember setting up for, along with what the others have mentioned above.

You may already know this, but always go diagonally and with the current. If you run big meats air up for shallowish crossings and air down for crossings you know your going to float. Keep the engine RPM up, keep in gear, and steering does provide some minor steerage when afloat.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
If you are doing some deep water forging you'll need to keep around a cover for the A/C intake in front of the windshield.
Never thought of this. In practice has this been an issue other JKers have dealt with? (For instance, the fan motor has been an issue for lots of us that play in water/mud). So, who's f'ed up the a/c intake?

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #6 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin View Post
Never thought of this. In practice has this been an issue other JKers have dealt with? (For instance, the fan motor has been an issue for lots of us that play in water/mud). So, who's f'ed up the a/c intake?
I've never had my JK in deep water here in the US. I've taken my '66 Bronco on 38's and it had issues in water with a good current. I never ran a snorkel so I was good about boxing the radiator, to keep the fan from kicking water onto the top of the motor. I had a Mechanical fan so the box was manditory or I'd suck in water. In the Bronco with 38's the intake sat about 5' and the truck would float before I saw water settle over the hood. I would get some rushing water if I turned perpendicular to the current, That's why I'd stuff the air box. I've seen Lada Niva's, Old CJ's with hard doors on, Old Blazers, and Toyota HILUX forge deep water. All the guys stuffed the vent intake to keep water out and most had some water roll over the hood at one point.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Granite Guru

Most of the exterior electrical connections are already sealed. The only one I've personally come across that wasn't is the e-disco. Get some silicone grease from your local plumbing supply to seal that. I'm sure there are more but I don't know which ones.

Pull the shell off the connector thats on the harness end, and with your finger, work the grease down in between the wires on the outside of the connector. The goal here is to keep the water from getting through the connector to the pins. Reinstall the connector hood when done. The harness plug is already sealed well to the mating connector on the disconnect motor.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #8 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
JKowners Vendor

We have been creating a waterproof boot for our sway bar wiring harnesses out of motorcycle inner tubes. The harness is our single biggest headache for electrical difficulties, but we are typically only in bumper-deep water.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #9 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post
We have been creating a waterproof boot for our sway bar wiring harnesses out of motorcycle inner tubes. The harness is our single biggest headache for electrical difficulties, but we are typically only in bumper-deep water.
interesting. will you be marketing the boot?

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
post #10 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

well I've had water over my hood many times and never had it enter the a/c intake to ruin it, but I havent driven long in water that is over my hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #11 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK JK View Post
interesting. will you be marketing the boot?
Right now it's just a home-grown mod. Not hard to do, but not pretty the way we built it to experiment with it. Will take some time to see if it does the trick.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #12 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you very much guy's for all your answers and very interesting tips.
I'm liking very much the River Rider snorkel, specially now with the new ram scoop, which is very much "pretty" than the old one. And also the breather hose ext.
tkob1060, please give me more information about the dielectric grease for the spark plugs (which one and where to put it exactly), what can happen if not using it on deep wading?, may the engine stall?.
Thanks&regards.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Banned

Buy keen sandals, underamor underwear, and ripstop nylon river shorts. Shirts are dime a dozen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode