Fog light flicker no more - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Fog light flicker no more

So here is my write up on eliminating the flicker from installing LED lights into the fog light location using the steering column activation. This is how I did it and wired it. I have not seen any other write ups that have pictures of how it was done, so here is my attempt at it. I'm sure I may get bashed for shitty solder joints, the globs, not pretty, but it worked for me and I by no means am an expect at soldering. If someone see's issues (other than shitty solder joints), please let me know the issue so I can attempt to fix it. Again, this is how I did it and with the optest, the flicker did go away.

First, you will need this capacitor - Note: this capacitor is not water/weather proofed at all. You can get this one, or one of the same spec's that is weather proof.

Then, solder your stock fog light positive wire (should be white) to the positive wire of the fog light (red). Do the same for the negative wire (black on stock) and red with black stripe, or black on fog light. Once that is done, slide heat shrink over the solder joint far enough back up the wires so it won't heat up and shrink on you on the next step (can use electrical tape to keep the wires nice and tight).

Next - use a heat sink (helping hands work great) and attach to the capacitor. Then take your positive, or negative wires (doesn't matter which you do first) and solder them to the lead of the capacitor. NOTE: The Striped side is the negative side of the capacitor. If not wired correctly, it can cause damage to capacitor or wiring. Once the wires are soldered to the leads of the capacitor, slide the heat shrink down over the leads and apply heat.

To "weather proof", I used electrical tape over the heat shrink and on the wires and double backed over. Then I applied silicon over the electrical tape. Over that, I used the electrical conduit and then applied 2 more layers of electrical tape over the conduit.
Attached Images

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Wheeler

I did the same mod myself for a pair of riigid duallys worked out all right with no codes thrown
adhesive lined heat shrink tubing waterproofs well and lends a OEM appearance to the wiring harness
as the OP states the proper polarity is important get it wrong and the cap will go POP
post #3 of 8 Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Have you watched for a while? I put a "Canbus Canceller" Capacitor inline. At first I thought it stopped the flicker; however, instead of getting dim flashes every few seconds you get a bright flash every 4-5 minutes. I assume the bigger the capacitor the bigger the delay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-09-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I have not seen any issues what so ever. drove through 6+ hours of rain and snow and I have not seen any issues what so ever. My "weather proofing" has far exceeded my expectations so far.

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
post #5 of 8 Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

FYI - I didn't notice my issue while driving. I only noticed when sitting in my driveway and I noticed them strobe against the garage door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #6 of 8 Old 12-09-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well, you have the solution to fix it. I didn't really notice it either, but I do know it can be considered illegal in some states, so i wanted it fixed. And it's working for me.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 05:21 PM

Did you do one on both ends of the fog light harness or only one side?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKjames View Post
Did you do one on both ends of the fog light harness or only one side?

not buttin'-in or anything, but there are two capacitors displayed in his fist image & I think the fogs are on different circuits ( I may be wrong on that but everything else is 'split in half' on the freakin' JKs ,like the taillights..) so it'd makes sense he performed this upon each fog light....just my deduction,but let's let OP confirm that...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode