HID flicker / vibration? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-28-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
The Flower Guy

HID flicker / vibration?

Had a dealer HIDH13 HI/LOW beam kit installed and the hi beam flickers with an audible vibration sound when the hi beams are on. You can feel a vibration touching the headlamp glass. The lo beams seem to work ok.
What is causing this? 2008 JK Rubicon

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

I had a similar problem. I replaced the batteries and fixed problem. Thye pull a lot of juice and if the batteries are not big enough or strong enough they will flicker

09 4Dr Currie Rock Jocks D60, 538's, ARB's, Teraflex Long Arm 4", MBRP, SC Flashpaq, K&N Intake w/throttle body,
post #3 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Rock God

It has nothing to do with the batteries. It has to do with the electrical system in the Jeep. The can bus sends the voltage in a pulse which will affect the high beam motor on a bi xenon HID. There was a writeup here on what capacitors and resistors you need to make it work without the problem. I just used relays and I don't have a problem. I do need to replace my bulbs because the high beam motor burned out in mine from the pulse the computer sends.

HTH
Jeremey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
It has nothing to do with the batteries. It has to do with the electrical system in the Jeep. The can bus sends the voltage in a pulse which will affect the high beam motor on a bi xenon HID. There was a writeup here on what capacitors and resistors you need to make it work without the problem. I just used relays and I don't have a problem. I do need to replace my bulbs because the high beam motor burned out in mine from the pulse the computer sends.

HTH
Jeremey
it will still do it with most relays, but will cause the relay to "flicker" and fail prematurely while not providing full voltage to the lights

I'm sure if one does a search for capacitor it will pop up one of the threads about how/what to do

FWIW, I have relays controlling a bi-xenon HID and used the capacitors
post #5 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagg View Post
Had a dealer HIDH13 HI/LOW beam kit installed and the hi beam flickers with an audible vibration sound when the hi beams are on. You can feel a vibration touching the headlamp glass. The lo beams seem to work ok.
What is causing this? 2008 JK Rubicon
If you have a dealer install it, take it back to them and get them to fix it... then let us know how they did it. What kit did you install?

Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 03:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

been there done that, you DO NOT need a relay kit for hid fogs, but you WILL need the relay kit for the head lamps and a resistor on the high beams for them not to flicker, been there done that. if you need more directions I have the wire colors written down out on my jeep. its pretty easy once you figure out how you want to run the wires. mines been hassle free for a year now.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Yup it's due to the computer sending a pulse to the headlights instead of steady current
same reason my aftermarket headlights would dim
you'll wear out a relay pretty darn fast if you don't add the capacitor.
I would imagine you'll also kill the relay that moves the HID up and down because of it pulsing a gazillion times a second without a power relay/capacitor setup.
check out this thread for a how to
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10665
and this one for some more info
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10630

I was confused as hell by the pulsation/flicker at first, this is the first vehicle I've worked on that didn't send "pure" power to the headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
The Flower Guy

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I will be returning to the dealer but I have found that this website has more knowledge than the dealer at times. I will definately post the results from them next week after it goes in. It just is better if I have the suggested answer. I would appreciate the wire referencing though.

Jim
post #9 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

highbeam-blue
ground-brown
low-white

im on my cell and have been tiling the bathroom alllll damn day. I can't remember what size the capacitor is but if you do a search on the other site I did a write up on it and the radioshack part #'s. im sure there is a write up on here as well, just have to find it. if you need more help pm me.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Granite Guru

Easy fix, tap the trigger to the parking light wire instead of the low beams . .this way the lights wont come one when you lock/unlock either (which the multiple useless ignitions to the ballast will lessen the lifespan)
post #11 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
The Flower Guy

Well I've had a disappointing trip to the repair shop. Apparently my 2008 JK rubicon is not compatible with the beamershids kit that was installed. The kit is on the way back to the factory to be checked out. Meanwhile they put in PIAA bulbs which are good but the hids are better. Anyone had same experience? The website has a canadian reference, does anyone know wher the factory is in the US?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode