JKOwners Forum banner

Hard Time Starting

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RanWitScissorz 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had the problem where when you turn the key, the engine makes one turn, but doesn't start? It started happening after I had to get a new key made at Jeep. It does it randomly, probably 1 in 20 starts. Once it starts, everytime I turn the key it will only do one turn and not start, no matter how long I wait with the key in the ignition or out. The only thing that makes it work is if I bang the key against something, and it works instantly.

I took it to Jeep and they said they could not replicate it so i was SOL. I made a cell phone video of it, but they still wouldn't help, any ideas? I've replaced the battery in the key and the same problem.

#5 ·
I have a 2007 Auto Unlimited and have the same issue. Took it two dealerships and both couldn't find the problem... blah blah blah. I found the solution... if yours is an auto, simply put it in neutral before using the key. It will start every time. Something is confusing the computer into believing your JK is in gear; hence, the one click no start.

#6 ·
It's actually this one, not a problem with it needing to be put in Neutral:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-r...-due-to-electronic-lockup-of-the-wcm-skreem-2

I had the parts replaced and it works fine now. The reason I knew it was this one, when you read the description it says a static discharge builds up in the key. When I had this problem, if I touched the key against something metal, it instantly worked afterwords.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.