wiring up driving lights and.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac
wiring up driving lights and....

The directions say to splice into the "highbeam" wire on the headlights. Why is this and is it absolutely necessary. If so, can someone tell me what wire is the highbeam wire? I'm going to finish this tonight and the info as quickly as possible would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
The directions say to splice into the "highbeam" wire on the headlights. Why is this and is it absolutely necessary. If so, can someone tell me what wire is the highbeam wire? I'm going to finish this tonight and the info as quickly as possible would be appreciated!
They are using the high beam hot wire to trigger the relay and turn on the driving lights. You could use another hot source and a switch to accomplish the same thing. That way you could use the driving lights with or without the high beam.

I hope that makes sense.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Rock God

Alot of kits have you tie into the high beam because in most states it is illegal to run high beams and auxilary lights at the same time.This is why stock fogs turn off when you turn on your high beams. I think PA was one of those states. I know NJ was when I lived up there.

HTH
Jeremey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thanks for the replies... it turns out im dumber than dirt. i cant seem to get the lights to work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

When Lou and I wired mine, we did not splice into anything. We connected direct to the battery, and have a nice day.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

so you think i can just grab the power that is supposed to come from the splice on the headlight from the battery?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

yes.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Rock God

I didn't go to the headlight wiring either, is just aux sw. pnl/battery/relay and you can turn emon, when you want (same with the rear lights)

Quote:
Quote:
You want individual light control anyway !!!

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #9 of 12 Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Wheeler

Mine gets power from battery but switch/relay is tapped into highbeam.So they only come on with high beam but I can turn off each bumper or windshield lights individualy. The same with aux reverse lights relay tapped into factory reverse lights.

2008 Unlimited X,38x15.5 x18 Mud Grapplers, 6sd,4.88's,4"Rough Country ,Quick disco,Cut fenders
On and On and On,
Is it really ever done?
post #10 of 12 Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

So after 2 hours of messing with the lights last night, without getting them to work, I gave up. This morning at work after all the usual morning routines, I gave it another shot... Instead of powering the relay from the headlight wire, I wrapped it on the pos battery terminal and...voila! On they turned!!!

My guess is that stupid side by side wire tap wasn't making good contact with one of the wires.

Thanks to all that posted!!!
post #11 of 12 Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

good to hear man, and i will confirm in jersey you cant have the aux and driving lights on at the same time

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #12 of 12 Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joePILE View Post
good to hear man, and i will confirm in jersey you cant have the aux and driving lights on at the same time
i can confirm that in PA they arent allowed either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode