Factory mygig Nav unit conversion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Factory mygig Nav unit conversion

can some please tell me if it is possible to put in a factory mygig nav radio in my 2008 unlimited that currently has your standard radio
and what other parts i will need to make it work or programing
how many people have done this? is it worth doing i found a radio for $600
and im getting mix statements from the dealers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Rock God

I know that at a minimum you'll need to know the security code - the units were tied to the vehicle's VIN. Not sure how you can go about getting that code, presumably from a dealer, but if you hook it up it will ask for the code when it powers up.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

for one thing you need to make sure the one you have is a hi-speed because it's the only one that works in a jk. It needs to be the RER model. you also need the correct amp to go with it. if you don't have it the amp out of a dodge nitro will work in the wrangler and improve the sound quality. the dealer will have to flash it for you in order to get it working. you will also need the correct satellite (for GPS) and sirius antenna's. If you don't know what you're doing bring it to a dealer.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 11-12-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Granite Guru

I did that in my 2009...

My Jeep came from the factory with Sirius/AM/FM/single CD head unit.

I replaced it with a RER head unit (high speed bus). I had to also purchase the GPS antenna and Uconnect microphone. (links below). Bluetooth and Uconnect are built into the headunit. The GPS antenna installs under the center dash cover (directly above the headunit) and the microphone can go anywhere you want...it comes with a long cable and double stick tapes to any flat surface.

** If your current headunit does not have Sirius then you will also need to purchase a satellite antenna **

It was all plug and play. No dealer involvement needed. The only thing I had to do was go into the engineering mode on the RER (press seek up, seek down and menu at same time) and "enable JK microphone".

That's it...just that simple.

http://www.justforjeeps.com/rergpsantenna.html

http://www.justforjeeps.com/ucmikit.html

Last edited by OH9JK; 11-13-2013 at 04:41 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK View Post
I did that in my 2009...

My Jeep came from the factory with Sirius/AM/FM/single CD head unit.

I replaced it with a RER head unit (high speed bus). I had to also purchase the GPS antenna and Uconnect microphone. (links below). Bluetooth and Uconnect are built into the headunit. The GPS antenna installs under the center dash cover (directly above the headunit) and the microphone can go anywhere you want...it comes with a long cable and double stick tapes to any flat surface.

** If your current headunit does not have Sirius then you will also need to purchase a satellite antenna **

It was all plug and play. No dealer involvement needed. The only thing I had to do was go into the engineering mode on the RER (press seek up, seek down and menu at same time) and "enable JK microphone".

That's it...just that simple.

http://www.justforjeeps.com/rergpsantenna.html

http://www.justforjeeps.com/ucmikit.html
Nailed it bro!
+1

2010 Jeep Sahara black 4DR
-AFE CAI
-Throttle body spacer
-KC windshield slim lites

IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN COMBAT VETERAN 2006-2012
post #6 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMonster View Post
can some please tell me if it is possible to put in a factory mygig nav radio in my 2008 unlimited that currently has your standard radio
and what other parts i will need to make it work or programing
how many people have done this? is it worth doing i found a radio for $600
and im getting mix statements from the dealers
I am on my second mygig unit in my 2008, came installed from the factory. If I had to do it all over again I would go aftermarket. The first mygig in my Jeep would not power on every so often, then after driving for a little while the lights would flash and then come on. Seemed to be always when I needed the nav. Had it repalaced under warranty and my new one is still doing the same thing. When this thing shits the bed I will be replacing with a better unit.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

Ohh yeah, and the screen peels off after a while. Especially after getting wet in a rain storm.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM
TJT
Rock God

I swapped the 6disk radio my 09 came with out for an Mygig unit. It was great, integrated seamlessly, but honestly there are newer, less expensive options that are leaps and bounds better that you can go with. And they too are just as simple to install.

Your 08 does not have the microphone cables behind the dash so you'll need the kit from MOPAR (and there's others that would work too.) I highly recommend the Lock Pick. Unlocking all the features is worth it and will save you a lot of frustration as you get used to what you can do with it.

One thing I did not like about the MyGig was the way it organized music stored on the HDD. Its useless and impossible to navigate on the fly.

I chose to get away from the nav radio in the jeep and went with a single-din Kenwood Multimedia deck and have a Cobra CB unit underneath it. DOn't miss the MyGig one bit. I just use my iPad for navigation.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Ohh yeah, and the screen peels off after a while. Especially after getting wet in a rain storm.
Not to jack this thread or anything but is there a fix for this? my 2010 is peeling and I can't seem to make it look any better.

2010 JKUR Red, 4" Teraflex Mid Arm with 9550 shocks, Procomp 7033's wrapped in 35" KM2's, Ace front and rear bumpers, Ace sliders, rigid duallys in front and rear bumpers, trekwerx hudrack with 30" black box logistics light bar, 5.38 gears, axles gusseted, teraflex hood shocks.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne41 View Post
Not to jack this thread or anything but is there a fix for this? my 2010 is peeling and I can't seem to make it look any better.
Besides replacing the unit? no idea of a fix. Don't really see it when the radio is on.

post #11 of 11 Old 11-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Yeah thats what I've read so far. Its not that just annoying at times.

2010 JKUR Red, 4" Teraflex Mid Arm with 9550 shocks, Procomp 7033's wrapped in 35" KM2's, Ace front and rear bumpers, Ace sliders, rigid duallys in front and rear bumpers, trekwerx hudrack with 30" black box logistics light bar, 5.38 gears, axles gusseted, teraflex hood shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode