Floodlights vs. spotlights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Floodlights vs. spotlights

Hey everyone, I was looking to mount some new lights to the front of my wrangler but wasn't sure what would be better, spotlights or floodlights? Or both?Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1384135740.012388.jpg
Views: 4643
Size:  69.1 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Granite Guru

depends on how you intend to use them. If you live near winding roads then I would go with floods for side illumination. If you live in the boonies then Spots.

>> If your windshield lights are floods then I would move them to the bumper and get spots for the windshield. Both will perform better in those locations.

>>> And welcome to the forum!!

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #3 of 12 Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Rock God

I have spots forward driving on the brush guard on bumper. They sit about the same height as the headlights. The pillar lights I have are flood lights and are aimed for the ditch. I love my light setup. It seems logical for my use. I see far down the road and off to the sides for winding roads and for deer hiding I the ditch.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-10-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

The lights on the cowl are spots. I was also looking into a spot/flood combo light bar. Figured that might be alright since it's a little bit of both

post #5 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram_Shane View Post
The lights on the cowl are spots. I was also looking into a spot/flood combo light bar. Figured that might be alright since it's a little bit of both

What are you stating with lights on cowl are spots? Are referring to windshield A-pillar mounted? Are you stating theses should only be spot lights? Or stating what you have?

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 05:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
What are you stating with lights on cowl are spots? Are referring to windshield A-pillar mounted? Are you stating theses should only be spot lights? Or stating what you have?
Lol. He said his lights on the cowl are spots. The drivers side one is pointed directly at the camera, see?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the lights on the hood are spotlights.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Lol. He said his lights on the cowl are spots. The drivers side one is pointed directly at the camera, see?
Ok I guess that is the same as the A pillar mount? Cowl to me means actually on the cowl. I will include pics of a pillar and cowl mounted. I think there is a difference, how ever it is small. I wanted to be sure we are talking the same thing. Personally I think you can runn whatever you want as long as it achieves throwing light where you want it.

A pillar mounted

Cowl mounted

post #9 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for any confusion. And thank you guys for the input. I don't have much time for mudding or anything like that it's usually just an occasional two track or old dirt road. Just needed an idea of which is better or if it wouldn't matter

post #10 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Rock God

Wel there you go, get what works for your needs. There is no wrong way. But you can get ideas of what you from others and their theory's on lighting then make it your own. Just my wiring tip - get rid of pig tails. I found many electrical problems with lights even with protection provided by dielectric grease, electrical tap, shrink wrapping, and paint on electrical tape. Take the extra time and direct wire you lights right up to the inside of the housing. You will be glad you too the extra time to do it.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Rock God

I run KC Slim Lite "Driving Lights" (Floods) on the windshield mounts. I put them there because at the time I didn't have a bull bar on the front bumper.

For me, Floods, are better because everything around here is woods, and finding a straight road is near impossible. I'd rather see to the sides more than 2 miles ahead.

Thinking about buying a pair of spots and putting them on the windshield mounts, then moving the floods to the bull bar or onto the rear tire carrier for camping purposes.

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
I saw a cow with spots with my lights too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode