Rebel Offroad Hellfire Review - Day 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe
Rebel Offroad Hellfire Review - Day 2

I ordered HellFire's on Wednesday and they arrived on Friday, even though they said Backordered on the website. Communication was awesome as I had a tracking number within about an hour of my order. I have to give their ordering process a 10 out of 10.

The light output is just as amazing; however the overall installation experience - not so amazing. I'm going to give it a 4 out of 10.

> When I opened it, there was no Rebel-specific documentation other than the straight-from-china instructions that were in with the bulbs. I found the installation instructions on Rebel's website, which are a bit incomplete (while it's clear from the parts how it works, the instructions don't mention hooking up the passenger-side chassis cable to the harness).

> the Harness-to-Chassis H13 male connector was NOT attached to the harness and there was no indicator of how to wire it (it was 3 loose ends crimped to the pins). I called Rebel (4PM on a Friday) and they said they would send me details, which haven't come yet.

> Not wanting to wait for tech support response until Monday, I goggled and found a photo of someone else's hellfire installation, copied their colors, but it wasn't right. It would not go into high-beams (or was high-only, not sure). I continued to google around and figured out Blue-High (Left), Brown = Ground (Center) and White = Low (Right). This answer came from an ebay item for $39 for a kit that looked identical to the $199 kit I just bought. I couldn't get the tips to come out of the adapter, so I cut the wires and verified:

This pattern solved my issue and high/low beams worked properly now. If it had come attached It would have saved much headache. The blog I found which showed the colors that didn't match mine also had a problem with the connector fitting. I have the same problem and had to fix it with the same solution, zip ties to hold the two connectors together:

> I wasn't too happy with this so I cut-apart one of the factory lights and tried to use it as a donor connector, but I couldn't get any solder to stick to the metal that originally connected to the factory bulb. I'm going to order another H13 adapter off ebay and see if it fits better. For now i've soldered back the poor-fitting adapter and have it together with alot of tape & zipties as shown above.

> The HID-to-Projector Housing adapters fit very loose. The bulbs would have fallen out on their own. After trying both of them in both light housings, I decided to take the orange gasket off the original bulbs and sandwich them between the adapters and the housing. This worked great:

Here's a one-eye'd photo for absolutely no reason:

So once I had everything in place and working, I will say it's extremely bright.

Overall, i'm satisfied with result of the increase in illumination, but I would have expected a higher quality product (or atleast a sticker!) for the 500% premium over ebay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate

Last edited by DiscoBayJoe; 11-02-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-02-2013, 06:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The 55w DDM kit for $50 I just installed had the same exact issue with the plug not "clicking" into the factory light harness. I used my dremel to take some material off the new plug so that it could properly seat.

Personally I don't think there is anything special about the Rebel kit in comparison to the other much cheaper kits out there.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PhrogMech46; 11-02-2013 at 06:28 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I just went to check these out in my driveway after the sun went down. Somethings still not right.

Driver chagnes Hi/Lo but Passenger does not.

To make it worse, when the driver is in Hi, It sounds like shit. WTF. Here's a video:

Hids - YouTube

I'll keep things lowbeam until I hear back from Rebel.

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate

Last edited by DiscoBayJoe; 11-02-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Rock God

I've had mine in since January, same issues with the connectors not clicking into place (though my connections were properly attached). I used the electrical tape/zip tie method. I read about trimming the connector technique but never tried it.
As far as the noise, mine do it too but have worked flawlessly.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-03-2013, 08:07 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
The 55w DDM kit for $50 I just installed had the same exact issue with the plug not "clicking" into the factory light harness. I used my dremel to take some material off the new plug so that it could properly seat.

Personally I don't think there is anything special about the Rebel kit in comparison to the other much cheaper kits out there.
Would you mind posting or PM'ing a link for them?

Thanks,
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #6 of 18 Old 11-03-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

played with the lights again today. The passenger high beam issue went away when I disconnected and re-connected the hi-low light cable to the bulb. I also noticed the clicking seems to be intermittent. When the engine is running it seems to happen all the time, when it's off it doesn't always happen. I ordered some "Canbus cancellers" resistor/capacitor packs off ebay ($3.50 each shipped). I'm going to try them on my Rigid D2's that strobe when off as well.

post #7 of 18 Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Would you mind posting or PM'ing a link for them?

Thanks,
Gary
Sure thing....http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #8 of 18 Old 11-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
played with the lights again today. The passenger high beam issue went away when I disconnected and re-connected the hi-low light cable to the bulb. I also noticed the clicking seems to be intermittent. When the engine is running it seems to happen all the time, when it's off it doesn't always happen. I ordered some "Canbus cancellers" resistor/capacitor packs off ebay ($3.50 each shipped). I'm going to try them on my Rigid D2's that strobe when off as well.
Do you happen to have a link, all the ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

Thanks,
Rob

2009 Sunburst Orange Rubicon, 2dr, 6spd.
PSC BFH front bumper, Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper, Bushwacker Flares
PSC Rocker Knockers ,PSC Evap Skid Plate
post #9 of 18 Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

They haven't got here yet so I can't give feedback, but they were cheap enough:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251141624316

post #10 of 18 Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 PM
JKO Addict!

DiscobayJoe: Do not hook your rigids directly to the canbus as they strobe as you have found out, isolate them with a relay. Although if the cancellers work on these also please post that info.

One of the guys in our Jeep club found this out, and he's an electrician. He was behind me on a night run... those suckers are annoying as they strobe

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #11 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Update:

The Canbus Cancellers *DO NOT* stop the high beams from buzzing.

Good News: The CanBus Cancellers *DO* stop the Rigid D2 Fogs from Strobing! I'm suprised this info wasn't more available, but it works great! I am able to use the stock foglight switch and no relay with no visible issues now!

post #12 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 AM

FWIW, I got what seem to be identical units from Amazon for $50 plus $5 for the adapters:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with the benefit of Amazon's easy return policy (which I used once I saw the beam pattern). There was just too much scattered light above the cut-off.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Biggest problem with good lighting on the JK is the canbus system. The headlights are pulse width modulated, IE not 100% full battery voltage.

There's threads here about those who use the canbus to trigger relays to give 100% voltage to lights. Many have reported much better light output from the stock lighting setup.

My high beams trigger a relay to my rigid duallys, works fine with no flicker or noises.

Remember what we drive and where we tend to drive these things. If the cancellers die where you gonna get another one? I can pick up a basic 5 pin relay at any parts store.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #14 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Wheeler

I had no problems and good direction with my hell fire's. Connectors work fine. Wish they was cheaper and yes I would have loved a sticker!!
post #15 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiland View Post
I had no problems and good direction with my hell fire's. Connectors work fine. Wish they was cheaper and yes I would have loved a sticker!!
What year is your jeep?
post #16 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Wheeler

Reading all of this has made me 2nd guess ordering the a Rebel headlight kit and saving my pennies for a Truck-Lite LED upgrade. It's too bad, I would have liked to save that extra $300... just can't justify jerry-rigging anything on a $30k vehicle.

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-18-2013, 07:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The cancelers are only $5 a pair, it would be cheap enough to keep a set of spares.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #18 of 18 Old 12-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiland View Post
Same here, I have had no problems with my Hellfire HID's. The only thing I had to do after installation was properly adjust my headlights a little bit. I have a 2012 JKU. I don't think Rebel sales the Hellfire's anymore anyways.

Last edited by floridajpr; 12-13-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode