Interior lighting issues. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Interior lighting issues.

So kinda hard to explain but I am gonna try my best.

About 3 weeks ago I installed LED interior lights, all was fine love them. Well today for no reason they started strobing when you reach up and press the button. But if you open the door or turn them on with headlight/dash dimmer switch them work like normal.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 PM

I have the same problem with my jeep but just the rearview mirror under lights flash when I drive at night..I found out its cuz the led lights I put in in the back..I put normal lights in and it doesn't flicker..pissed!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 8 Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok thanks I will pull the LED one and put the OEM one back in and check it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basjmpwrangler View Post
I have the same problem with my jeep but just the rearview mirror under lights flash when I drive at night..I found out its cuz the led lights I put in in the back..I put normal lights in and it doesn't flicker..pissed!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You might have poor quality bulbs or just bad bulbs. I have switched to all LEDS inside and out and don't have that problem.
Could be a feature of the CANBUS too.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Oh ok thanks.. yea the rear I got from Super Bright LEDs, The front two I got from Autozone. I might swing back by Autozone and pick up a rear one sometime.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 PM
JKO Addict!

probably the led's.

Do a search for canbus led's. I bought mine off ebay and have zero problems
post #7 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Wheeler

I bought interior LEDs from Superbrightleds too. I went with colored lights so no CANBUS lights available in the color I wanted. I replaced the front 2 dome lights plus the rear dome light. I also added some 7" tubes in the wheel wells for the front and under the front seats for the rear. I tapped them into the power wire for the dim little light that lives down there. It really brightens up the interior. Afterwards, if I closed the doors, the lights would stay on, but if I held the door open and let the lights time out, I could close the door and they would stay out. I took it out for a drive and I ran into an issue with the map lights on the rear view mirror staying on. Even holding the door open and allowing the time out to happen did not turn them off. I had to disco the mirror. The other lights worked as they were supposed to except they no longer timed out.

In an attempt to correct the situation, I rummaged through some old electronics stuff and found a 1K ohm resistor. I opened up the back light and bent the legs across the terminals of the festoon bulb holder and re-installed the bulb and reconnected the rear view mirror. When I closed the doors, the lights went out like they were supposed to. ALL of the lights went out. However, there was no open door time out. So I stepped up the resistor to a 2K ohm (actually measured 1.9 something) and the lights performed normally when the doors closed and with the doors open. I took a little drive around with headlights on and off. I stopped and opened the door and the lights came on and when I closed the door they went out. When I got back and parked, the door timeout is gone, but the lights turn off when the doors are closed as they should. I'm going to step up to a 3k ohm resistor and see where that takes me, but I thought I would share. I will post results when I get a chance to try a 3k. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2019, 04:31 AM

I've had the same issue with my 2013, so I just pulled the rear cargo led still on. Then I pulled the crossbar leds still on. I did not put any bulbs back in but the rearview mirror light is still on. Is that because there's no bulbs now? I'm looking to now get the Canbus bulbs the current led I had was the putco i think from quadratec's website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode