MYGIG Navigation freezes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

MYGIG Navigation freezes

Help! Twice in two weeks, WHILE ON A LONG TRIP, my MYGIG Navigation stopped navigating. What seemed to fix it was time spent off while parked for dinner.

Here's what happens: All weekend I used it a lot, like usual. And while on my way home using the NAV, all of a sudden (this time after stopping for ice cream, first time I think while driving but not sure), the NAV stopped telling me where to go. The map still worked. the NAV still knew where I was, but it wouldn't tell me direction.

I went into the programming menu and hit the RECALIBRATION button several times. Nothing.

Like I said, the only thing that corrected it after well over an hour, was turning it off for dinner. Oh, and I did stop, hit reset as stated, and even powered down the Jeep and radio a few times. nothing.

It seems to be calculating the trip over and over again too. It just never tells me the next turn.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and my dealer updated my 2009 unit about 6 weeks ago 9without asking).

Adam
First Jeep:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

disconnect the battery wait 10 miutes and reconnect.i've heard of the reset procedure in the engineering menu not working but the disconnect working. if that does not work, bring it back to your dealer and tell them it was working fine before they updated it (without your permission)

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #3 of 25 Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

When I bring it back, should I pull the ALLGIG first? will they know it's in there?

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 AM
JKO Addict!

I was having the same issues with mine (2008)

Brought it in to the dealer and they replaced the entire unit. They told me that they have been having some problems with alot of the Nav systems in all the Jeep/Chrysler products.
Since the new unit, no problems.....yet
post #5 of 25 Old 07-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
When I bring it back, should I pull the ALLGIG first? will they know it's in there?
as much as i hate to say it, yes pull it. i brought mine in last year and when they hooked up to the puter it told them something about non stock something or other. no big deal as far as warranty, but their puter wont talk to the mygig through the allgig. try the battery disconnect first.

Quote:
post #6 of 25 Old 07-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
I was having the same issues with mine (2008)

Brought it in to the dealer and they replaced the entire unit. They told me that they have been having some problems with alot of the Nav systems in all the Jeep/Chrysler products.
Since the new unit, no problems.....yet
i've never had a problem with my mygig and know a few others who have never had problems.............knock on cheap plastic!

Quote:
post #7 of 25 Old 07-24-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well, they flashed my MYGIG with the ALLGIG in there! Honestly, I was so pissed! It wiped my stored addresses, WHICH I JUST PUT IN THERE THE WEEK BEFORE! And it was working fine before they flashed it!

Very annoying!

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
post #8 of 25 Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Rock God

OK similiar problem except mine doesn't know where it is. Thinks the Jeep is 100 miles away from where it is. How do you reset cannot find the engineering menu, couldn't find that in the manual. Dealer reflashed mine a few weeks ago without permission and now I have Issues..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

while in NAV view, hold MENU button on the right, then both the UP/DOWN seek buttons on the left. That brings you into the Engineering menu. I've been told to be very careful in here. Go down a few pages then you'll see CALIBRATION RESET or something like that. Then in there you can hit RESET.

That helped me when my NAV thought I was faacing the wrong way. I did this twice and it worked.

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
post #10 of 25 Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Rock God

Thanks Adam

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #11 of 25 Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Adam is right. The engineering menu is nothing to make a mistake in. you can totally screw the operating system up if you do the wrong thing. if disconnecting the battery does not fix the navigation problem then check the antenna connection on the back of the mygig. if that doesn't work, you may need a new antenna.

Quote:
post #12 of 25 Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Rock God

Went into the NAV engineering screen set and for the 08 there is no calibration reset for the GPS, only for the touch screen. Went into the NAV / GPS info screen where it tells how many satalites its reading and co ordinates etc and it reads the proper Long and Lat there. Did a reflash so lets see if that works, if not I will disconnect the battery.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

post #13 of 25 Old 08-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Rock God

HAMMER......

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #14 of 25 Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Rock God

Found the GPS recal hidden in the Debug menu screen. All is well again.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

post #15 of 25 Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
Found the GPS recal hidden in the Debug menu screen. All is well again.
cool! Yes, I find that when you get to that menu, I have to hit page up or down a few times then it just pops up.

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
post #16 of 25 Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Rock God

Downloaded and updated to ver 2.042 and the latest Gracenotes GN1287.. Works like a charm now..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

post #17 of 25 Old 08-04-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

so how does that work? you download to laptop, then via USB cable, uploade it to NAV?

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
post #18 of 25 Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Rock God

my GPS died today probably from all the rain. it doesn't see any sats anymore, the arrow is in the middle of the water somewhere, probably in the ocean.

when you update the software u need to download and burn it to a cd/cvd

Last edited by md_rubi; 08-04-2009 at 08:25 PM.
post #19 of 25 Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
so how does that work? you download to laptop, then via USB cable, uploade it to NAV?
You can go here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y2mnijzyomm for the MyGig RER_2.042 update.

Download to your computer from there then print out the burning and upload instructions from here. http://mofv.com/mygig/

from this mofv MyGig site you can also find the latest version of Gracenotes and the procedure for updating that as well.

Basically you will burn a disk, put it into your MyGig and it will load itself. Follow the instructions exactly so you don't have problems.

PS These updates come directly from Harmon Becker (the manufacturer of MyGig) so be sure to tell your dealer when you take it in for service to leave it alone or they will return it back to their latest version which is RER_9.713.

Here are the updates included in the 2.042 update:

Changes in 2.042

Phonebook download streamlined

GPS time improved

Navigation database updated

Alternate routes added

Stopovers improved

Voice recognition improved

VES in RER radios streamlined

Improved graphics

Better menu flow

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 08-04-2009 at 08:43 PM.
post #20 of 25 Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Rock God

when will they give us the ability to make playlists on the fly again?! it's my biggest peeve about the unit.

Quote:
You can go here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y2mnijzyomm for the MyGig RER_2.042 update.

Download to your computer from there then print out the burning and upload instructions from here. http://mofv.com/mygig/

from this mofv MyGig site you can also find the latest version of Gracenotes and the procedure for updating that as well.

Basically you will burn a disk, put it into your MyGig and it will load itself. Follow the instructions exactly so you don't have problems.

PS These updates come directly from Harmon Becker (the manufacturer of MyGig) so be sure to tell your dealer when you take it in for service to leave it alone or they will return it back to their latest version which is RER_9.713.

Changes in 2.042

GPS time improved

Alternate routes added

Stopovers improved

Improved graphics

Better menu flow

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.
post #21 of 25 Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

Changes in 2.042

GPS time improved

Alternate routes added

Stopovers improved

Improved graphics

Better menu flow

THANKS! let me ask you, does this affect any of my saved trails, favorites or address book entries?

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
post #22 of 25 Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I successfully downloaded, burned & loaded in my update CD to the radio. it loaded and went to the 'do you want to update from 1.220 to 2.042' and then the touch screen didn't respond to my input of yes or even NO. I got nothing for nearly 10 minutes until a phone call came in which knocked the unit out of the update mode. I ejected the CD and am afraid to try again. I burned it using Nero 9. I have a second CD I made using windows that I can try. before I do I thought I'd ask what else I should try.

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
post #23 of 25 Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I just tried it again with my other disc which was burned on a different PC using windows. I had the same problem: Disc in, the UPGRADE YES OR NO screen came up and the touch screen is non responsive to my touch.

HELP!

Now, I did have my cell phone with me in the Jeep. Is it possible the blue tooth connection is getting in the way? I made a phone call to get it out of that screen and then eject the CD.

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
post #24 of 25 Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Rock God

try burning it on dvd, i had to do that withe the last two updates.
post #25 of 25 Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

see all of my comments of this page about this Beta version.
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11294
also whenever you burn one of these updates, always burn as a data disc and burn at the slowest speed available. Like i said in my other posts, i'm waiting for 2.043 to come out.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode