Garmin 60CSx or Colorado 300 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 07-19-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garmin 60CSx or Colorado 300

Im worse than Grant when it comes to researching everything I buy. I bought a Garmin 60CSx GPS today but now Im wondering if I shouldnt have bought the Colorado 300. What are your experiences? We will mostly use it to geocache and mark trails. Id like your feedback on these two units if you have experience with them. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Im worse than Grant when it comes to researching everything I buy. I bought a Garmin 60CSx GPS today but now Im wondering if I shouldnt have bought the Colorado 300. What are your experiences? We will mostly use it to geocache and mark trails. Id like your feedback on these two units if you have experience with them. Thanks!
Now see here is your problem - you bought it and now have questions about it.

I ask questions before i buy it.

check out consumer reviews on the products like amazon and consumer reports.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
check out consumer reviews on the products like amazon and consumer reports.
Ive done that asshat. Its mixed. The 60CSx is tried and proven. The 300 is new technology and has a better screen. Im looking for user feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-19-2009, 05:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Ive done that asshat. Its mixed. The 60CSx is tried and proven. The 300 is new technology and has a better screen. Im looking for user feedback
good luck
post #5 of 23 Old 07-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

I did this search a while back (3 months). I ready everything I could find on Pirate and from what I read I would have gone with the 60. (sorry I know it's not first hand knowledge).

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #6 of 23 Old 07-19-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin View Post
I did this search a while back (3 months). I ready everything I could find on Pirate and from what I read I would have gone with the 60. (sorry I know it's not first hand knowledge).
Ruskin, I appreciate the feedback. The 60CSx is the one I went with. When I was in California I had the pleasure of riding with Dr Dirty and that is the one he was using. I liked how it worked so thats the one I went with. The 300 is pretty cool that you can download the hints and difficulties on the caches. I think overall the 60 is the better unit though and the reason I chose it. My head is spinning with all the info out there though.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Many will tell you good things about the 60csx. It's a good time proven gps. The colorado is a good gps, but is a pain to use due to the scroll wheel being the only control button. Probably not much different than the 60 though really.

The Oregon on the other hand is all touch screen so going through options and different screens is much easier. Also, entering info such as waypoint names is much faster. Otherwise, many of the features of the Colorado and the Oregon are the same.

Also, for a new gps user, the Oregon is much easier to learn. Seeing as you already have the 60csx, I would learn how to use it and enjoy it. It is a good gps.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Ruskin, I appreciate the feedback. The 60CSx is the one I went with. When I was in California I had the pleasure of riding with Dr Dirty and that is the one he was using. I liked how it worked so thats the one I went with. The 300 is pretty cool that you can download the hints and difficulties on the caches. I think overall the 60 is the better unit though and the reason I chose it. My head is spinning with all the info out there though.
Hey boss i bought the colorado when they first came out and had nothing but problems i could never get good signals and it always froze garmin has come out with all the firmware fixes for this scince but i had already returned it

i went with the 60csx because i have many many friends using it and they showed me how to use it and it is a proven gps i have contempalted buying the oregon but just cant fin it in me to get rid of the 60 csx

its an awesome unit for geocaching i think once you get used to it youll really like it and enjoy how easy it is to use

www.jeepasylum.com
post #9 of 23 Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Rock God

I have the 60cs and it has never let me down. Great signal quality. The other reason I use it is for my HAM radio. There aren't many GPS's out there that still have serial NEMA data IO. This one does.

Jeff
post #10 of 23 Old 07-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Wheeler

I have owned both of these units. I liked the 60csx and it has never let me down. I purchased the Colorado because I am also into geocaching. I like its ability to download everything about a cache including the hint when I am stuck. I have never had a problem with it except it likes to eat batteries. If they could make a 60 that could download all of that information I would buy it.

2015 Unlimited Rubicon
post #11 of 23 Old 07-20-2009, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess Im just hung up on how much better the Colorado maps look over the 60CSx and the fact that you can download all the info about the cache. I know that Garmin keeps sending updates for the Colorado so eventually wouldnt you agree the technology of it will be superior to the 60CSx?
post #12 of 23 Old 07-20-2009, 06:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess Im just hung up on how much better the Colorado maps look over the 60CSx and the fact that you can download all the info about the cache. I know that Garmin keeps sending updates for the Colorado so eventually wouldnt you agree the technology of it will be superior to the 60CSx?
i think eventually it will be better, you can get all the info for the caches but its a little more difficultto do. i would like to go to the oregon so my daughter could use it. but when i do switch i will def not even look at the colorado again

www.jeepasylum.com
post #13 of 23 Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Skype™ to rage344

this might be one hel of a stupid question but what is geocaching?

Riverraider Rubicon 2 door (under construction)
[QUOTE=priell3;158092] you have the old style with dirty balls.QUOTE]
post #14 of 23 Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage344 View Post
A dirty hippy pass-time. People hide chit and other people look for it.

Jason
post #15 of 23 Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Number one rule in electronics purchasing

Research >>>>> decision >>>> buy >>>>>> DON"T LOOK BACK.

Tech changes so fast, tomorrow something better will come out, (Moore's law) So once you buy stop looking unless you experience problems.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 23 Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage344 View Post
If you want to know about geocaching go to geocaching.com, it will explain everything for you. Alls you need is a GPS and a computer. It is a great pastime for the family.

2015 Unlimited Rubicon
post #17 of 23 Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Wheeler

GPS

Just my experience(Iraq,Afghan) using the old rino and it gets the job done. 60csx has the ability to pre-plan routes and alternates. Its rugged and waterproof. I personally might buy the Oregon 300 or 400t just to give it a shot overseas. Some GPS units are preloaded with TOPO and some are not. I guess it boils down to price and how much your going to use it. Let us know what you come up with.

One Major Pork Eating Crusader!!
2007 Black 2 dr. Rubi, 3.5 Rock Krawler Mid-arm X plus, Shrockworks Mid front and sliders,Warn RC winch, Walker Evans beadlocks, 37in. BFG KX, Rockhard rear carrier, 5.13 gears. Red Neck Ram, This thing is a tank!!!
post #18 of 23 Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I also use the 60CSX and love it. I don't do the geocaching thing yet.
post #19 of 23 Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Im keeping the 60CSx. After everything Ive read and the reliability Im happy with it. I downloaded the version 4.0 software (May 09) from the Garmin site and also the Florida Topo map that was free from one of the posts on the geocaching website. It was much better than the one Garmin had to offer. Plus there was a free site you can download the geocache info onto your Nuvi if you have one. So I'll put it all in there and then when I get out of the Jeep use the 60CSx to dial into the location.
post #20 of 23 Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

while i can not help between the two models listed (Magellan Triton 2000 here) i think the biggest issue is the software you run, not the GPS itself. the gps is only the interface to the software when it comes to mapping and logging trails/tracks. anything with touch screen is going to be a little easier to use in some instances, but it can not rely solely on that. doing so makes you go thru page after page.

if you are happy with the interface of the unit, think about the software. personally, i would avoid the NatGeo software. i wasted my money on it and you have to purchase detail maps. even those you download are kind of cartoon-ish looking.

i've been very happy with my Magellan. i've geocached with it recently and it has proven very accurate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #21 of 23 Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Many will tell you good things about the 60csx. It's a good time proven gps. The colorado is a good gps, but is a pain to use due to the scroll wheel being the only control button. Probably not much different than the 60 though really.

The Oregon on the other hand is all touch screen so going through options and different screens is much easier. Also, entering info such as waypoint names is much faster. Otherwise, many of the features of the Colorado and the Oregon are the same.

Also, for a new gps user, the Oregon is much easier to learn. Seeing as you already have the 60csx, I would learn how to use it and enjoy it. It is a good gps.
x2 on the oregon. I'm looking at that new 500t. You can get the 400 model in the waterproof/shock proof model for a decent price now.
post #22 of 23 Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 PM
JKO Addict!

I have had the 60 for a little over a year now and I like it. I need to have someone to explain all of the features to me though.

|
|
post #23 of 23 Old 07-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I wondered the same thing. I went with the 60csx without question once I understood the differences.

I suppose the real choice will be how you use it since they are both good units.

I do a lot of long solo hikes and I map alot so the 60 was the clear choice for me.

here is the diffrences as I see it

colorado

much better display on the colorado although not as easy to see in the daylight and because you need to always use the backlight that eats up the battery faster on top of an already shorter battery life. I fond the colors dark on the colorado. Colorado does not have the declutter feature which I use all the time on the 60. The Colrado does have nice 3d and shading!

Colorado has a much larger memory, with that said I have almost never had any memory issues using a 4gig in the 60 (colorado allows for a 8gig)

Colorado is a better unit for geocaching as it has more features for that.

The controller on the colorado I found to be easier to control then the 60 although I find the 60 way easier to use overall with all the controls in one spot. Text on the colorado was a pain in the ass

The biggest differences show themselves after you become more familiar with the units. The 60 just flat out has WAY more features that I use often. For example, you can only display one saved tracklog on the colorado vs a dozen or so on the 60, route recalculation on the colorado is retarded, 60 can show distances between two way points, 60 can organize (show/delete) waypoints by symbol, The colorado does allow longer waypoint and POI names which is kinda nice, accuracy circle on the 60 is nice for geocaching (surprised the colorado does not have this?), colorado does not have night mode, Colorado cannot use the GPS features when plugged into a computer, and the list goes on.

They are both as accurate...I have heard that with equipment you can show the 60 is more accurate but as far as I could tell there was no real difference in accuracy.

In my opinon they are both really nice. each has a set of features the other doesn't. I say get the colorado for better display, more geochaching features and larger memory. Get the colorado for longer battery life, more functional in the field display, more features and overall higher usage, especially if you rely on the gps when out and about.

but...this is just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode