New GPS Purchase: Garmin Nuvi 760 review - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New GPS Purchase: Garmin Nuvi 760 review

My old Mio GPS died... or, more accurately, the touch screen developed some large dead spots.

Checked around and found some favorable reviews for the Garmin GPS units and selected the 760 as the best bang for the buck.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760-Wid...7695461&sr=1-1

Disclaimer: This is designed for on-road use, not in finding trails offroad so this may or may not be useful to you.

For an in-depth review and more pictures of each screen than you really care about, see this website.

http://gpsmagazine.com/2007/10/garmi...iew.php?page=1

First and foremost, the screen is bright and clear. Graphics are nice and the touch screen is not overly sensitive like some I have seen. It takes positive pressure without requiring you pound on the glass.

It comes with a 12 power cable that is also a receiver for one of several paid traffic services (Optional service that can be ordered at the Garmin website.) It also comes with a suction cup mount and a USB cable for connecting to the PC for upgrades etc.

Setup is easy, just plug and play. In order to get some fo the features available on the Garmin website, you will have to download some software. It is worth the time it takes as you get a free, up-to-date maps download as well as firmware updates. You can also download additional specialty maps, vehicle icons, new voices etc.

I downloaded the Jeep (it is a white Wrangler, but not a JK) and the motorcycle for mine! I also got the British and Australian female voices... va va voom! If you have to have a woman nagging you about traffic, it might as well be an exotic one.

Satellite discovery and tracking is good, constant updates. The newest maps seem to be accurate up to some recent additions that opened in the last month.

As for features, it has an SD card slot, Photo viewer, MP3 player and built in bluetooth.

The specs say that it will accept only a 2gb SD card, but after the firmware update, it recognized my 4gb full of music, no problem. Sound from the built-in speaker is weak, but the headset output is good quality.

The photo viewer is ok, but not stellar. It shows pictures in good quality, but it is slow to open an individual pic. The slideshow function does work well. An added bonus is that it lets you select whatever picture you want as the opening splash screen.

Bluetooth was fast and easy to set up. Just select the phone and input the code on your handset. From that time on, whenever the unit is active, it automatically pairs with your phone.

The onboard microphone is not that great, but the inexpensive add-on microphone from Garmin is great! I tried it out and my wife at home said it sounds like I am in the same room.

A couple of additional notes:

When playing MP3s or on the phone, an easily identified and touchable transparent icon appears on the map screen that allows you to switch right back to the MP3/Phone screen. Very cool.

When playing music, the tunes are interrupted to announce upcoming turns etc, then it goes back to the music.

Extra bonus, you can hook the sound output to your AUX in and get good sound! Unlike my old one, there is no interference noise from the power source. All of the music, turn instructions, phone calls etc come through the stereo. Nice....

All in all, it has the same options and quality as the high-dollar unit in my wife's Lexus SUV. I am very pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a good urban GPS.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 AM
TrailDuty.com

My wife's got a 760 and loves it, works really well.

I have a Magellan Crossover as I was suckered by their claim that they would have 30m topo maps available in the near future. Of course they never did and the 90m maps are next to useless and now they have dropped the Crossover I don't expect to see any decent topo maps for it
post #3 of 6 Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

I've got a 760 and really like it. You can load topo maps on it too. Battery life won't be near as good as something like the CSx but it's still cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-16-2009, 07:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great writeup Preach. I've been thinking about a GPS for a while now, I'll have to check this one out.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM
LSM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Disclaimer: This is designed for on-road use, not in finding trails offroad so this may or may not be useful to you.
For the Garmin you can add extra POI (Points of Intrerest) and I found one that has entrances to OHV parks and trails. It is all free to load on your GPS. I haven't tried it yet, but I am heading for N. Cali this week, so i will see if it works.

Here is the link to the loader;
http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

and here is a link to the site that has a whole s**t load of POI's including the OHV
http://www.poi-factory.com/

Here is a link for California Off Highway Vehicle Areas
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/7455

ME
08 Rubicon Unlimited / জীপ্ Green / 6 Speed..
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
post #6 of 6 Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the links, LSM! That is great info.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode