Where to mount relays - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Where to mount relays

I am getting ready to mount up some KC lights and was wondering where you guys were mounting your relays? Pictures would be great. I have some ideas but wanted to see what everyone else was doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Openly Hostile

If you have the money for it, the sPod is great. I just installed mine last night. Before that I had my relays installed behind the battery.

Jason
post #3 of 22 Old 07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
If you have the money for it, the sPod is great. I just installed mine last night.
The sPod is a badass piece of gear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
If you have the money for it, the sPod is great. I just installed mine last night. Before that I had my relays installed behind the battery.
Negative on the that kind of cash flow. I was originally thinking under the cowl by the wiper blades but wasn't sure if that was a good idea.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Granite Guru

contact Rockrash4x4 for one of these

post #6 of 22 Old 07-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
contact Rockrash4x4 for one of these

That's a pretty cool idea...How do they handle moisture?

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch
post #7 of 22 Old 07-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Thats a pretty clean set up, nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.I.K View Post
Ok We need to organize a "Strippers and Blow Trail Run" It can raise money for college scholarships
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Raleigh Meet and Greet,
Check the thread ------------->
post #8 of 22 Old 07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks nice, but whats with the like 10ga ground wire for the relays? lol

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-05-2009, 01:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

theres a whole lot going on there

www.jeepasylum.com
post #10 of 22 Old 07-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Wheeler

wow, thats alot of wire! s-POD all the way! mine is in the mail right now and I can't wait to rewire my goodies and get rid of all the excess wire. what does Rockrash4X4 charge for that plate? Does it come with the relays or switches?

Party Crashin' with an LJ !!! .... Now with a little Extra Ductape!!

jk-forum , jk forum , jeep jk , jkforum , jk wrangler , jeep wrangler
post #11 of 22 Old 07-05-2009, 04:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Just looked into a s-pod. that thing is $435.....are you serious! holy cow! I much rather be able to afford my accessories rather than just a really nice switch panel. No mention of a warranty either?

Hmm. I really like the idea, and almost thing I could build one of those pretty cheap..

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 07-05-2009 at 04:16 PM.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Wheeler

when you figure all the switches, relays, wire, connectors, fuses and such, then do the work involved to harness all that, the s-POD is not a bad deal at all. Also, John and Cindy over at s-POD have the greatest of customer service. I haven't seen my written warranty yet, and I didn't ask either, but I know that I can call them if I have a problem and they will help. I met them at the JK Summerfest last weekend, and they are the best of stand-up people.

post #13 of 22 Old 07-05-2009, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductape1000 View Post
when you figure all the switches, relays, wire, connectors, fuses and such, then do the work involved to harness all that, the s-POD is not a bad deal at all. Also, John and Cindy over at s-POD have the greatest of customer service. I haven't seen my written warranty yet, and I didn't ask either, but I know that I can call them if I have a problem and they will help. I met them at the JK Summerfest last weekend, and they are the best of stand-up people.
I'm sure it's really nice, it sure looks like it is. But I could honestly get the same thing done for less than $75. It'll take a little time, but picking up a factory relay/fuse box from a junkyard vehicle would be my starting point. I think 1/2 the fun is making you're own stuff.

It wouldn't be as nice as the printed circuit board stuff they are running, which is impressive. But I'd get the same results, and have another $350 to buy all the stuff i need to switch. Just the hot rodder in me lol

post #14 of 22 Old 07-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

I installed a Painless Performance Circuit Boss between the battery and the factory fuse panel. Works perfect for me and allows me to even add more relays if I need to.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

post #15 of 22 Old 07-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Wheeler

That's cool. I did the first round myself (no pics though) as I get to needing the 6 circuit system, I didn't want to redo it myself again. I like the simplicity of the s-POD and the fact that it makes troubleshooting way easier if something fails to come on!

Happy wheelin!!

post #16 of 22 Old 07-06-2009, 04:24 AM
Granite Guru

the plate was $20 i belive. got all my stuff for about $90.

here is my link to the original write up https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3606
it ran for a year before i traded it in with out any problems. worked well enough that as soon as my garage doesn't feel like the surface of the sun i'll be doing it again on the new jeep.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
the plate was $20 i belive. got all my stuff for about $90.

here is my link to the original write up https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3606
it ran for a year before i traded it in with out any problems. worked well enough that as soon as my garage doesn't feel like the surface of the sun i'll be doing it again on the new jeep.
Where did you get your fuse block?...

I was thinking the same way...I already mounted 6 switches in the same location as you and I think I am fully capable of wiring one up...I do like the SPOD though...They have a very clean set-up and I am sure it is worth every penny if you don't want to bother with it...I like tinkering as much as I can so i don't really mind...

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch

Last edited by Tank29; 07-06-2009 at 05:23 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 AM
JKO Addict!

I bolted mine to the back of the metal plate behind the knee bolster and mounted an auxiliary fuse panel to the left side panel

|
|
post #19 of 22 Old 07-06-2009, 07:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I have to agree with everyone else. sPOD is worth the money for peace of mind, safety and customer service. John is good people and after seeing his product and meeting him in person you cant go wrong. I believe in it so much you'll find his link in my signature.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank29 View Post
Where did you get your fuse block?...

I was thinking the same way...I already mounted 6 switches in the same location as you and I think I am fully capable of wiring one up...I do like the SPOD though...They have a very clean set-up and I am sure it is worth every penny if you don't want to bother with it...I like tinkering as much as I can so i don't really mind...
looks like this

you can pick them up from most part stores for about $7. i got mine from advance. most places i've seen only keep one in stock.

i've done this exact setup twice now and will be doing my new jeep soon. Spod is great, i've never heard anybody say anything bad about them, i just don't have that much disposable income so i did it almost the exact same way just with over-the-counter parts.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Wheeler

Got my s-POD today!! So Stoked. I can't wait to install it. I'll do a install thread for eveyone so we can see how easy it makes things. As much as I have an LJ, and are lower than all you JK owners, I'll post it here anyway.

Hopefully this weekend....

post #22 of 22 Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm getting ideas thanks guys. Keepem coming if you got anymore though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode