7 pin wire harness - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

7 pin wire harness

Okay guys. Now I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to electrical. I have a Sahara wired with a 4 pin trailer setup. I upgraded my ATV trailer and it has electric brakes and needs the 7 pin (round) set up. So I buy the mopar 7 pin wire harness. All cool so far. I look at the directions and it looks like a comic book... bad.... no words..... funny pictures..... so the very first part I am stumped at is how it connects to the rear light. Since I already have the 4 pin (and would like to keep that active for my other little trailer) I am not sure how to plug that in. Anyone run into this. A photograph would be better than the comic book that came with my harness.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Haven't done it.... so limited help here.. but think of just using a snap on splice connector.

You would just tap the wires on the four pin harness for those functions and then attach the additional wires (3) to whatever they go to.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-18-2009, 11:24 AM
LSM
Granite Guru

I am considering moving to the 7 pin. The instructions make me wonder about the effort. FWIW, I would tear out the 4 pin and just install the 7 pin, then use an 7-> 4 adapter for the other trailer.

ME
08 Rubicon Unlimited / জীপ্ Green / 6 Speed..
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-18-2009, 11:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
I am considering moving to the 7 pin. The instructions make me wonder about the effort. FWIW, I would tear out the 4 pin and just install the 7 pin, then use an 7-> 4 adapter for the other trailer.
This sounds like the best plan. Adapters are cheap and you don't have to worry about cutting the new harness. I've seen those snap on splice connectors fail a few times, they seem to always corrode at the connection.

Another question to add to the list. Do you have to get the Jeep re-flashed after adding the 7 pin harness? Seems like I read that somewhere.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
This sounds like the best plan. Adapters are cheap and you don't have to worry about cutting the new harness. I've seen those snap on splice connectors fail a few times, they seem to always corrode at the connection.

Another question to add to the list. Do you have to get the Jeep re-flashed after adding the 7 pin harness? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Disclaimer: I don't know what the hell I am talking about as the dealer installed my tow package

It seems to me that would only matter with an 09 (not sure what year the OP has) as only the 09s come stock with the trailer anti-sway programming (or whatever the hell it is called... )

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #6 of 11 Old 06-18-2009, 06:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i bought the adapter that the stock 4 pin plugs into a adapter that has 7 and 4 pin and i ran a wire up to my brake controller and wired in the brake controller per the instructions, i can ge tpic tomorrow after work if you need

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

okay so i was making this harder as usual. i will unplug the 4 pin from the factory plug the new 7 pin and try to follow the comics and run the harness to the front of the jeep like it states then just pick up a 7 to 4 pin adaptor thanks for the help everyone!
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I just thought I would update. I finally ran the 7 pin wire harness I bought from mopar. I already was set up with the 4 pin. I unplugged the 4 pin thinking i would get rid of it but low and behold the way the 7 pin was wired i was able to keep the 4 pin also. So that answered that question. Then routing to the front wasn't so bad. I get up to the engine and the comic book instruction picture shows red and black. Of course my wires were red and white. No biggie though. Hooked according to the comic book instructions the red to the positive the white to the ground. Ran the blue wire across the fire wall and found a gromet right next to the master cylinder and poked the blue wire though. Now I just need a brake controller. It took me a couple of hours to do it but anyone with common sense could problably do it in under an hour!!

thanks again to everyones suggestions.

Last edited by Steveqvs; 07-01-2009 at 08:09 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Wheeler

7 pin wire harness

I bought the Mopar 4 to 7 connector as you did for my 2009 Rubicon. I am now at the dash with everything hooked up except for the wire to the brake controller from the brake light. I have 6 wires from the brake light switch. They are all about 22 gage (small) wires.
The colors are;
Moss green,
Bluish Green with White tracer
Red
Blue with Turquoise tracer (Blue generally to brakes for trailer)
White (Generally ground)
Black (Generally hot (positive)).

Dose anyone know the correct wire to tie into? I am worried that using my test light with the small wire that I will just end up cutting the wire.The instructions with the brake controller say tap into the brake light switch wire with the power when you step on the brakes. The wire from the controller is a 18 gage wire.

Thanks for any help.

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
post #10 of 11 Old 07-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
I bought the Mopar 4 to 7 connector as you did for my 2009 Rubicon. I am now at the dash with everything hooked up except for the wire to the brake controller from the brake light. I have 6 wires from the brake light switch. They are all about 22 gage (small) wires.
The colors are;
Moss green,
Bluish Green with White tracer
Red
Blue with Turquoise tracer (Blue generally to brakes for trailer)
White (Generally ground)
Black (Generally hot (positive)).

Dose anyone know the correct wire to tie into? I am worried that using my test light with the small wire that I will just end up cutting the wire.The instructions with the brake controller say tap into the brake light switch wire with the power when you step on the brakes. The wire from the controller is a 18 gage wire.

Thanks for any help.

A few posts down in the electrical tech dept.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10976
post #11 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Wheeler

Thanks for the other link! It was correct it was the white wire with the tan stripe (tracer). I did not notice the tan tracer.
Frenchie

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode