Help - Hella Vision Plus Conversion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Help - Hella Vision Plus Conversion

I recently got rid of my factory headlamps and replaced them with the Hella Vision Plus 7" Round conversion. I had to change the wiring harness because the factory lights would not interchange and the new lights use an H4, HB2, 9003 bulb. Now when I turn on my lights, the lights come on, but I think they are on high. When I switch to the high beams, my lights dim and they barely work. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Stock wattage bulbs?
No relay set up?
Double check your wires to see that you got the correct wire going to the correct terminal, sounds like either a bad ground but probably a reversed wire.

If I remember correctly:
Brown-Ground
Blue-High beam
White- Low beam.

Be careful because your canbus is probably going WTF?

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

The wattage is whatever came with the replacement lights. I'm not sure about the relay. I cut out the factory plug and replaced it with a NAPA harness that fits a 9003 bulb. I was told by NAPA that it doesn't matter what wire goes where. I just know things aren't working as they should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I would call BS on doesn't matter what wire goes where, I would pull the plug back a but and test each prong coming out of the lamp and verify the correct polarity and low/high is correct. But there is no such thing as does not matter wiring in a dc voltage set up, i'm not familiar with their product/plug, but I am well versed in 12v electronics. I am sure your ground is wrong at this point.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnuckols View Post
I was told by NAPA that it doesn't matter what wire goes where.
Wow, that's a healthy dose of wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Now when I turn on my lights, the lights come on, but I think they are on high. When I switch to the high beams, my lights dim and they barely work.
The connectors are wired incorrectly.

IIRC the factory wiring is:

1-Hi
2-Gnd
3-Lo

and a H4 bulb is

Lo

Gnd Hi
post #7 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate everyone's help. I will make the changes and let you know if it works.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 10:02 AM
TrailDuty.com

FWIW That's exactly how my Delta lights were, bright lo beam and next to nothing for hi beam. The wiring was switched, so i corrected that, but was not happy with the lo beam. Tried wiring direct from the battery with a relay and then ran into other issues:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10877
post #9 of 13 Old 06-19-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Phil,
Have you solved your problem. My brights are great, but I can barely see with my lo beams.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-20-2009, 07:25 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Phil,
Have you solved your problem. My brights are great, but I can barely see with my lo beams.
Not really. Despite wiring the lo beams direct from the battery they are still really dim. I've tried several different bulbs and it makes no difference. Hi beams are excellent.

I spent a while aiming them which improved things a little, but there's no changing the fact the lo beam is dim.

Maybe some more powerful bulbs would help, but then you will have to go through the whole thing with relays/capacitors/diodes.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Phil,
Check the order of your connections. I had the ground on the wrong prong. Once I determined which wire went with which prong, everything worked great. The ground is on the on one of the ends, not in the middle as you mentioned earlier. Once you get it on the correct prong, it is just a matter of determining which prong the high and low go on. Once I figured all this out, everything worked great. The new lights burn like they should and I would not consider going back to the factory headlights.
Randy
post #12 of 13 Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Phil,
Check the order of your connections. I had the ground on the wrong prong. Once I determined which wire went with which prong, everything worked great. The ground is on the on one of the ends, not in the middle as you mentioned earlier.
Hmmm, the service manual shows it in the middle. I wonder if they did a model year change? Which may explain why the Delta wiring was wrong. I'll certainly play around with it and double check it though.
Attached Images

post #13 of 13 Old 06-24-2009, 06:16 AM
TrailDuty.com

Turns out I had the Lo and GND terminals reversed at the H4 socket, which you would think wouldn't make any difference to Lo beam, but there is more to the story.

The factory wiring provides voltage to both filaments of the bulb for Hi and Lo beams, it just varies the amount.

LO BEAM
Lo - 12.8 v
Hi - 10.5 v

HI BEAM
Lo - 10.5 v
Hi - 12.8 v

Using relays I was losing out on the lower voltage been applied to the opposite filament, and the lo beam filament by itself was just sad, but with 10.5 v on the hi filament at the same time it works great. So I ripped out all the relay stuff and every thing works great now.

If only the adapter was wired correctly to start with I wouldn't have had to mess with any of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode