The Roadrunner Horn - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-14-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

The Roadrunner Horn

Ok, so maybe this might be a dirty laundry thread (Don't MERGE me bro!).

So I've been going through the inventory of items on my JK that I wanna replace or modify, and the roadrunner horn came up. Actually, I think the roadrunner's meep meep is deeper, so maybe a baby roadrunner is a more accurate description...And yeah, I know it's sounded like that for years, but I kinda want something like those monster low frequency airhorns you hear on 18wheelers so I can scare the crap out of the soccer moms out on the main line (it's a local thing) when they wander into my lane because they can't balance their latte, makeup application and a phone call all at once.

Can it be done on a JK without too much effort or $$? Most of the horns I see online don't have a link to hear the thing, which is sort of stupid. Why would I wanna buy something sight unseen, or rather unheard? Sure, I'll give ya $50.00, nope don't need to know if it's a good product or not, I'll just trust you. F that!

Is there one out there that's super loud and low? I don't mind spending the cash, but if it sounds just like a regular car horn, I'd be pissed off.

Anyone got an audio clip of their badass horn or a recommendation for one they know sounds great?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 06-14-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Uh Kaint spull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

only way to get really loud n low like a train or a real semi is gonna take a compressor, air tank and big horns
It takes a lot of air volume to make that much noise which means a compressed air tank, no way a little electric motor hooked to a plastic trumpet can do it.

I have real air horns on my JK but it was a PITA to find room for everything under the hood.

You're probably gonna be better off doing a real on board air system and running the horns off of it. Plus then you can air your tires up and down.

horns themselves are in the back right corner, the big round black thing next to them is a 1.5 gallon pancake air tank, the compressor is peeking around the side of the AiRAID shield. It keeps the tank at 125PSI
With the little pancake tank I can get about a 10 second blast before I'm out of air and the compressor has to refill the tank.
This is an old pic since then I've gone to an AEV snorkel so the factory airbox is back in and I had to make a compressor mount out of steel that stretches across from the air box to the drivers side fender and hangs the compressor between the radiator and the motor.

These sound more like a semi - train horns are HUGE and there's just not a good place to mount them on a JK where they won't get destroyed.

I left my stock horn hooked up to the steering wheel and only use the big guns for special idiots.

So yeah, REALLY loud, Low air horns is neither easy nor cheap.
The little ones with the electric motor compressor run to a couple of little red plastic trumpets REALLY sound like the roadrunner!

The other option is to get a pair of freeway blaster horns, high and low frequency and use them together. That's what Cadillac used to do and it's pretty loud and low, plus it's cheap and takes up very little space since they are "conventional" style horns.
I've seen them on amazon for about $17 each so you'd probably have $40 in that setup.
Or goto a junkyard and rob the horns off of a early 90's Fleetwood for even cheaper
That one is easy to test drive, just find someone in a parking lot with a early 90's Caddy and ask them to honk for ya - might get you a funny look, but you'll know what it sounds like

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.

Last edited by venom; 06-14-2009 at 11:01 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-14-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I was thinking something more along these lines if I go the onboard air route:

37" long and 7 1/4" flange. Only $100.00 and the sound is ridiculously loud and low, which is exactly what I would want. I kinda like the dual horn idea too. Regular horn to actually warn other drivers, with this little honey kept in reserve in case I want to scare the crap outta someone.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode