Installed my fog lamps yesterday-problem with wiring - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Installed my fog lamps yesterday-problem with wiring

So, I did a google search and found that a lot of people actually had this same issue. Just wanted to see what everyone thinks of my configuration.

Once I pulled out the d-connector there was already an orange/white wire and a yellow/white wire in the 11 and 16 spot.

I attempted to pull the wires but it would appear that you need some sort of wire release tool to remove them. At the risk of damaging the d-connect by leaving a ripped wire in the unit I just spliced my jumper into the existing wires-matching up the colors.

Now, I didnt cut the wire completely, just cut out the insulation and seperated the wiring and wrapped my new wire around the existing wire and soldered it in.

The only problem I have with this configuration is that I cannot put the shrink wrap tubing over the wire.

Should I just completely cut throught the wire, put my shrink wrap tubing over to make it weather proof or leave it with the wrapped electrical tape. If I should cut through all the way what do I do with the loose wires? Do those wires that are existing actually serve a purpose? God, I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Granite Guru

I would stop rigging it up and go by the tool you need. They are cheap and usually come in a set of like 4 different picks. Different shaped heads for different wire connectors.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

i am not following you 100% but I can say this, when it comes to wiring...do not half ass anything.

Last thing you want is a wiring gremlin. Bouncing around offroad makes them appear. They can be impossible to hunt down.

Electrical tape is a waste of time in my opinion. I have no idea why they make the stuff. After a couple years it will be a gooey mess.

Sounds like you are trying to get the wires into some connector. I am unfamiliar with what you are talking about but if you say there is a tool to make it happen correctly, then do it.

Otherwise, cut the wires, add the shrink tube, solder them up good and shrink it up.

The cleaner you can make each splice you do as you go the happier you will be in a couple years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Granite Guru

I am pretty sure he is talking about the connector that goes from the stalk in the steering column to the lights. I did this on my TJ and half arsed it. Lights would start blinking on and off...not just the fogs....every light in the Jeep!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Rock God

He is actually talking about the connector under the hood. I completely cut and spliced mine. I agree with above. Don't half a$$ electrical connections, the combination of vibration and mud/water will cause you problems. Either buy the tools needed or cut and splice.

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Granite Guru

As an electronics technician, you did fine on the T splice, but this does pose a problem with insulating. Go to your local home repair store and find liquid electrical tape. This will work just fine and provide the barrier from moisture.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti...cal_Insulation

Again, as stated below by the others, there is something to be said for having the right tool for the right job. Make it professional whichever way you choose.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
As an electronics technician, you did fine on the T splice, but this does pose a problem with insulating. Go to your local home repair store and find liquid electrical tape. This will work just fine and provide the barrier from moisture.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti...cal_Insulation

Again, as stated below by the others, there is something to be said for having the right tool for the right job. Make it professional whichever way you choose.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for as far as an answer-nice to see that someone made a product for my issue.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

That is pretty cool stuff. I will have to pick up some myself. Seems like it would be even more water resistant then Shrink wrap.

Thanks for sharing, Roland!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode