Windshield light mounts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Windshield light mounts

Hey got the rugged ridge windshield light mounts and a pair of black magics. I need some pointers of where to run the wires at the windshield. I have looked and don't really see a clean place to run them. Any suggestions?? Oh and thanks for any help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Rock God

I went with the KC SlimLite with KC Windshield Mounted Lights. Hope this helps.

Did you see where I put the wire? once in it just runs though the back area of the cal then off to the fenders.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the Rugged Ridge brackets also. My wires are routed just like pictured by mrsig, behind the cowl and then out towards the fenders. Loosen or remove the cowl for easy access.

MikeP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Here is a thread to check out

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=85444

I started it, but they deleted my orginal thread and made it look like Clacky started it...

Anywho... there is actually some good pictures on it to help you out
post #5 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Yep, under the cowl. Be sure to not pinch the wires and use any protective sleeving if they give you some.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Yep, under the cowl. Be sure to not pinch the wires and use any protective sleeving if they give you some.

I bought my split wire loom (1/4" I think) to protect the wires on Ebay, cheap.

MikeP

post #7 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ok Thanks, Just got home from hell (work). I didn't even think about going under the cowl. That will be much better way to do it. Thanks It all came with a split loom and relays so shouldn't take long to finish up.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

just went and tried them out,,,lots better,,,,lots betterdon' t know if it is legal using 100 watt bulbs but what the hell,,, bright enough to see the deer and more
post #9 of 24 Old 06-06-2009, 04:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Massey View Post
just went and tried them out,,,lots better,,,,lots betterdon' t know if it is legal using 100 watt bulbs but what the hell,,, bright enough to see the deer and more

Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

MikeP

post #10 of 24 Old 06-06-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

By the way, while we are on the topic of windshield light mounts. Anyone ever been stopped by a cop because of them covering up the registration and inspection stickers????
post #11 of 24 Old 06-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
By the way, while we are on the topic of windshield light mounts. Anyone ever been stopped by a cop because of them covering up the registration and inspection stickers????
I havent ( then agian we dont have those here )
post #12 of 24 Old 06-06-2009, 02:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
No problem here in over 2 years. I have grill type covers on mine too.

MikeP

post #13 of 24 Old 06-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Rock God

Nope, no inspection required here.

/jl

post #14 of 24 Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Rock God

Garage
law question

Is it legal to run the a pillar mounted lights on the road in lieu of the factory fog lights? My night vision is terrable and the factory lighting is about as powerful as the minivan engine under the hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.I.K View Post
Ok We need to organize a "Strippers and Blow Trail Run" It can raise money for college scholarships
Raleigh Meet and Greet,
Check the thread ------------->
post #15 of 24 Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcd View Post
Is it legal to run the a pillar mounted lights on the road in lieu of the factory fog lights? My night vision is terrable and the factory lighting is about as powerful as the minivan engine under the hood
Probably not, but it really depends on your state motor vehicle laws. You probably shouldn't even be running fog lamps unless the weather is bad (fog, rain, etc.). I did the E-code lamp housing upgrade and have no trouble seeing at night.

/jl

post #16 of 24 Old 06-08-2009, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

FYI Got stopped on the way to work last night! DPS hiding on the side of the road got me. I was not speeding but he said I had to many light on!! Didn't know that was a law. I had the fogs, and low beam, and the new hella's on. I seen him way down the road but what the hell I figured he already seen me so we will see what happens. So guess here in texas, the law states that you can not have more than four driving lights on. He didn't say anything about hiding the stickers behind the lights so guess that is fine. Either way I got a worning and then went on to hell (work).
post #17 of 24 Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to NxtGenCowboy

in IL ..we are suppose to be limited to 4 lights on at one time... as in fogs and headlights only.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux
post #18 of 24 Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Rock God

Oklahoma law on the subject...

A. At all times specified in subsection B of Section 12-201 of this title, at least two lighted headlamps shall be displayed, one on each side at the front of every motor vehicle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles, as provided in Section 12-214 of this title.

B. Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps as herein required is also equipped with any auxiliary driving lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than three hundred (300) candlepower, not more than a total of four of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.

C. The driver of any vehicle shall comply with the provisions of Section 12-217 of this title regarding the use of alternate headlamp equipment.

A. The United States Department of Transportation specifications and standards for headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps, tail lamps, signal lamps, reflectors, and other lighting equipment and signal devices, pursuant to 49 C.F.R., Section 571.108, are hereby adopted by the State of Oklahoma.

B. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter and subject to exceptions for parked vehicles, every vehicle upon a highway within this state shall properly display all lamps and illuminating devices as required by law:

1. At any time from one-half (1/2) hour after sunset to one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise, also referred to in this chapter as nighttime; and

2. At any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of one thousand (1,000) feet or less.

C. All lamps required by this chapter shall display a steady light except as otherwise prescribed by this chapter. Any required individual lamp may be combined or incorporated with any other required individual lamp if the combined or incorporated lamps meet all of the individual lighting requirements of this chapter for each individual lamp contained therein.

D. No lamp, other than a headlamp, displayed on any vehicle shall project a glaring light; provided, every headlamp shall comply with Section 12-222 of this title.

A. As used in this article:

1. "Auxiliary driving lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle;

2. "Daytime running lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle that will assist to identify its presence to other vehicles and pedestrians at times other than those specified in subsection B of Section 12-201 of this title;

3. "Front fog lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle during conditions of rain, snow, fog, dust, or other atmospheric disturbances;

4. "Rear fog lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the rear of a motor vehicle during conditions of rain, snow, fog, dust, or other atmospheric disturbances;

5. "Off-road lamp" means any lamp designed and manufactured solely for off-road use; and

6. "Spot lamp" means a movable lamp which emits a brilliant light with a focused beam for examining objects, street address numbers, and other things alongside the road.

B. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps which shall not be used in substitution of headlamps.

C. The operator of any motor vehicle:

1. Which has in use a spot lamp shall, upon the approach of another vehicle from any direction within one thousand (1,000) feet, immediately turn said spot lamp off;

2. Shall not use or turn on a spot lamp when approaching or following another motor vehicle within one thousand (1,000) feet; and

3. Shall not use or turn on a spot lamp to cause a vehicle to yield right-of-way or stop.

The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to operators of authorized emergency vehicles.

D. 1. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two front fog lamps or two rear fog lamps which shall only be used when visibility, as described in paragraphs 3 and 4 of subsection A of this section, is limited to one-half (1/2) mile or less.

2. Front fog lamps shall be mounted on the same level on opposite sides of the front of the vehicle at or below the level of the headlamps. Front fog lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps. Front fog lamps shall not be used in substitution of headlamps, when headlamps are required.

E. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted at a height of more than forty-two (42) inches from the ground. The auxiliary driving lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps.

F. Every fog lamp or auxiliary driving lamp used upon a motor vehicle shall be so adjusted and aimed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam shall, at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet, rise above the horizontal plane passing through the center of the lamp.

G. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with off-road lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off of a highway. The lamps shall be:

1. Mounted at a height of not less than forty-two (42) inches from the ground;

2. Wired independently of all other lighting; and

3. Turned off whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway.

H. 1. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two daytime running lamps which conform to 49 C.F.R., Section 571.108, S5.5.11.

2. Daytime running lamps shall not be used in substitution of headlamps.

3. Daytime running lamps shall be mounted on the front of a motor vehicle and shall be wired to be:

a. automatically activated when the vehicle is started, and

b. automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any "on" position.

/jl

post #19 of 24 Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Great feedback, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.I.K View Post
Ok We need to organize a "Strippers and Blow Trail Run" It can raise money for college scholarships
Raleigh Meet and Greet,
Check the thread ------------->
post #20 of 24 Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Great feedback, Thanks!
You're welcome. Keep in mind this is for Oklahoma, other states may (will) be different.

/jl

post #21 of 24 Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Well, IANAL, but a quick search pulls up:

"547.330. AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS PERMITTED. (a) A
motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary
driving lamps.
(b) An auxiliary driving lamp shall be mounted on the front
of the vehicle at a height from 16 to 42 inches.
(c) Auxiliary driving lamps may be used with headlamps as
specified by Section 547.333.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995."

and, the obligatory, 547.333:

"§ 547.333. MULTIPLE-BEAM LIGHTING EQUIPMENT
REQUIRED. (a) Unless provided otherwise, a headlamp, auxiliary
driving lamp, auxiliary passing lamp, or combination of those lamps
mounted on a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven
cycle:
(1) shall be arranged so that the operator can select
at will between distributions of light projected at different
elevations; and
(2) may be arranged so that the operator can select the
distribution automatically.
(b) A lamp identified by Subsection (a) shall produce:
(1) an uppermost distribution of light or composite
beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or
vehicle at a distance of at least 450 feet ahead during all
conditions of loading; and
(2) a lowermost distribution of light or composite
beam that:
(A) is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal
a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and
(B) is aimed so that no part of the
high-intensity portion of the beam on a vehicle that is operated on
a straight, level road under any condition of loading projects into
the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.
(c) A person who operates a vehicle on a roadway or shoulder
shall select a distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed
and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a safe
distance ahead of the vehicle, except that:
(1) an operator approaching an oncoming vehicle within
500 feet shall select:
(A) the lowermost distribution of light or
composite beam, regardless of road contour or condition of loading;
or
(B) a distribution aimed so that no part of the
high-intensity portion of the lamp projects into the eyes of an
approaching vehicle operator; and
(2) an operator approaching a vehicle from the rear
within 300 feet may not select the uppermost distribution of light.
(d) A motor vehicle of a model year of 1948 or later, other
than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, that has multiple-beam
lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator that is:
(1) designed and located so that the lighted indicator
is visible without glare to the vehicle operator; and
(2) lighted only when the uppermost distribution of
light is in use.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995."

!c
post #22 of 24 Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
It is not. I would stop you, I wouldn't cite but I would let you know.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGenCowboy View Post
in IL ..we are suppose to be limited to 4 lights on at one time... as in fogs and headlights only.
True, as long as they aren't high enough to distract/blind other drivers.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Replace your stock head and fog lighs wth Deltas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode