New subwoofer wiring - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
New subwoofer wiring

I pulled a Kenwood sub out of our old car.... it's a flat, amped 1 active/1 passive cone deal, i forget the model no. Anyhow it fits under the passenger seat with a pair of home made brackets and fires down at the floor. I've pulled power to it but am having trouble pulling signal.

In the car I had it installed to preamp outputs on the head unit via RCA cable, but there's no such critter on this head unit (stock am/fm/cd/sat). I can tie it into the right and left speaker lines, but I can't identify which is + / -. I read how to check speaker polarity with an AA battery, but the factory speakers are enclosed in a plastic housing making it impossible to see the movement of the cone. I've tried and can't locate a wiring diagram that provides this level of detail. Anybody have a suggestion or know the polarity?

Also any tips on running the power signal wire (low current switches on power to the unit when car is on, off when off...), I don't have to have it but it would be nice.

I'm hesitant to go with a new head unit since this one is decent, I've still got time on our Sirius, and I'm worried about the whole CANbus thing and screwing something up. Hopefully with a little help I can make this work.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-07-2009, 04:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

You dont need a new HU...

You have 2 choices...
-Grab signal at the OEM sub (already filtered - only low frequencies).
-Grab signal at the soundbar speakers (you can get to the cables in the little compartment where the door straps are hung).

The best would be to bring your signal into a LOC (Line Output Converter - 10$).
The LOC will normalize the signal and you will now have RCA outputs to connect to your amp.

Here is the wiring behind the OEM sub:

And wiring to the soundbar:

You can see the + and - on the diagrams.
GY is grey, DG is dark green, LG is light green, etc...

10-4.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxxis View Post
The best would be to bring your signal into a LOC (Line Output Converter - 10$).
The LOC will normalize the signal and you will now have RCA outputs to connect to your amp.
Awesome! I'd about given up on getting a response to this post, thought maybe it was a stupid question or something I was about to ask where to source a LOC but Google is full of suggestions. Thanks for the help!

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-07-2009, 05:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

I didn't realize your post was so old...
post #5 of 5 Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Rock God

loc/ rca convertor will do it. What I had until I got my pioneer
HU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode