low speed vs high speed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

low speed vs high speed

There is a guy here local that is selling a MYgig 20G REN at a pretty decent price. It came out of his 09 Challenger. He said it is a low speed pull. He said he is almost certain it will not work in my 09 Wrangler because I need high speed ???? Can someone explain a little about the diff ?? I thought with his being an 09 also they would be the same. He told me its in storage and if I wanted he would dig it out and give me the numbers off of it but was almost 100% sure it will not work... Any help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 11:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Pull? I have no idea what he's talking about, and it sounds like he doesn't either. Also, last time I looked, '09 MyGig's are 30 gig. Sounds like the dude's full of some poo, but that may just be me Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #3 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Dont know much about them at all but I think he means buss ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Besides my own logic (how would CANBUS speed effect radio function??), I checked with my parts and service managers- they say there's no reason it wouldn't work. Give it a shot, if it's a good deal- they're a pretty cool system, and you can hack them Mark W.

post #5 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Openly Hostile

I know people on here have the answer.

I am pretty sure the JK uses the high speed, which I believe is the RER (with nav) and REN (without nav) .

Edited to correct post.

Jason

Last edited by SDMF; 06-01-2009 at 09:26 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
Besides my own logic (how would CANBUS speed effect radio function??), I checked with my parts and service managers- they say there's no reason it wouldn't work. Give it a shot, if it's a good deal- they're a pretty cool system, and you can hack them Mark W.
They are not interchangeable.

Jason
post #7 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Hmm- time to go slap some "professionals" Mark W.

post #8 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to NxtGenCowboy

The wrangler use HIGH SPEED PULL or BUS as some call it.

So you cannot take a low speed and use it and vice versa. I believe all JK's use High Speed Pull/Bus.. At least I havent found one that hasnt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux
post #9 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Im wondering if his is even low speed. What is it that decides? I am not for sure at all but I was kinda leaning towards year ??? Like maybe 07's where low speed. This is an REN with 20GB non nav for $250 ???? local
post #10 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

HELP

09 JKX 2in Old Man Emu lift and shocks, Teraflex 1in front spacers,35x16 Toyo Open Country M/T,16x8 eagle alloys,Raingler handles,XRC front and rear bumpers with carrier,Warn M8000 winch,6 in KC Slimlites,modified Rubi sliders. BROKE for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
Also, last time I looked, '09 MyGig's are 30 gig.
30 gig is what it says but in actuality they are all different.
Some are only 18 some are 23.
I don't think a real 30 is available yet.
post #12 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Found this site with a lil info but still not exactly what im lookin fot http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav_2.htm#ABOUT

09 JKX 2in Old Man Emu lift and shocks, Teraflex 1in front spacers,35x16 Toyo Open Country M/T,16x8 eagle alloys,Raingler handles,XRC front and rear bumpers with carrier,Warn M8000 winch,6 in KC Slimlites,modified Rubi sliders. BROKE for now
post #13 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Openly Hostile

The challenger is low speed, so it will not work in the wrangler.

Jason
post #14 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Doh thats what i was affraid of

post #15 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

The Wrangler (07-09)can only use the high speed (RER). Your buddies won't work. For advice from someone who knows what he's talking about call Steve at Harman Becker. 248-994-2794. OR visit MOFV.Com., the Unofficial Official MyGiig site on the web. Cram full of good guy nerds that can help with any problem. good luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #16 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Openly Hostile

Hey rubicajun, the REN one confuses me because I've seen it listed on ebay so many times as high speed. Thanks.

Jason
post #17 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I copied this from the mofv.com site's FAQ's. Hope this helps.The REN, as stated below is the non-nav us model w/o VR or Uconnect. It is high speed..

The radio types are as follows:
RER is the US Navigation radio w/internal VR and U-Connect
REW is the European Navigation Radio w/internal VR and U-Connect (VR & UConnect not equipped in MY07 European vehicles)
REP is the Rest of the World Navigation Radio w/internal VR and U-Connect
REN is the US non-Navigation w/o internal VR or UConnect
REZ is the European non-Navigation Radio w/o internal VR or UConnect
REU is a MyGIG variant for the Chrysler Journey vehicle only. It has an external display and an internal 6 disc DVD changer. There is no touch screen, rather a joy stick for user HMI.
Note: Wranglers are currently only available with UConnect or Voice Recognition disabled, because there is a degraded performance concern in the Wrangler environment.

Q: How does the MyGIG radio “talk” to the vehicle?
A: Through a special serial digital bus called a CAN bus. CAN stands for Controller Area Network and it allows electronic devices in your car to communicate with other devices a lot like how computers can communicate with other computers on a network. It controls many of the items in your car such as door locks, making the MyGIG radio stop playing video in drive (I hate that one so I had to mention it), your ECU, transmission, basically everything that has a sensor, switch, or simple device that can offer the simplest of information like car seat positions is connected to it.. You should have 2 CAN-Bus wires running to your radio (Pins #2 (White) and #13 (White/Orange) on the large grey radio plug). If you are installing a new radio or just happen to be in your dashboard clipping wires because you are drunk, remember NOT to cut the CAN-Bus wires, pass power into them, ground them, or hook up speaker wires to them. You will likely end up with an unusable car let alone radio.

Q: Can I replace my current radio with a MyGIG radio?
A: Maybe. MyGIG upgrades are only available on certain 2007+ vehicles and backward compatibility can change over time. Also, the work required will depend on the type of MyGIG upgrade, and the options already installed in the vehicle. In addition, Wranglers currently do not support U-Connect or VR. Also note that Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Vehicles use two different vehicle CAN bus speeds and therefore the radio part number must match the vehicle or the radio will not operate.
The CAN speeds for each specific model are listed below:
Sebring, Avenger, 300C, Charger, Magnum, Durango, Aspen, Grand Cherokee, Dakota, Commander – Low Speed
Wrangler, Liberty, Nitro, Grand Caravan, Town & Country – High Speed

Quote:
post #18 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
The REN, as stated below is the non-nav us model w/o VR or Uconnect. It is high speed..
The guy that has one for sale is prol a lil confused. He says its an REN that came out of his 09 Challenger and its low speed. ???? From all I read Challengers are low speed so his must not be an REN ????

post #19 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Openly Hostile

So I was right originally...

Jason
post #20 of 23 Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
So I was right originally...
yah u wuz!

Quote:
post #21 of 23 Old 11-12-2017, 02:04 AM

Talking Chrysler CANBUS speeds and stereos demistified

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09JK View Post
The guy that has one for sale is prol a lil confused. He says its an REN that came out of his 09 Challenger and its low speed. ???? From all I read Challengers are low speed so his must not be an REN ????
All of the listed stereos are/were available for both LOW SPEED or HIGH SPEED CANBUS vehicles. They are different even IF they carry the same model name. You must check the exact model number to determine if it is low speed or high speed. I have both the low speed 2013 Dodge Challenger and the high speed 2009 KK Liberty Limited. Both came with 730N (RER) MyGig stereos. They are NOT interchangeable, because they were made for different speed CANBUS'es. However I did swap both for JVC KW-HDT810 Bluetooth/NAV DVD head units with PAC C2R-CHY4 CANBUS adapters.
If you intend to replace the factory stereo a CANBUS adapter is REQUIRED on all 2004 and newer Chrysler products.
If you want to UNLOCK all of the hidden features included with the RER / REN / RHB / RBZ / RHR stereo units you need to get the Coastal Tech Lockpick. This is a computer module which gets installed between the CANBUS and the factory stereo. All of the listed models Low Speed and High Speed have multiple hidden features that Chrysler did not enable by default.
Lastly the Lockpick will not allow you to install the wrong speed CANBUS stereo in you vehicle.
post #22 of 23 Old 11-12-2017, 05:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sometimes you gotta wait 8 years for an answer. Thanks, new guy. Welcome to Jko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #23 of 23 Old 11-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Sometimes you gotta wait 8 years for an answer. Thanks, new guy. Welcome to Jko.

^X2
agreed.
Hats off to the new member that's layin' down usefulness comments on post #1.
Please hit the Welcome Room and introduce yourself when you have time, @AtariPC
Then, stick around & contribute more, if you wish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode