6 speed drain plug - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-25-2009, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

6 speed drain plug

I went to change the tranny oil in my 09 rubicon over to synthetic the other day and realized the exaust runs right under the plug ! WTF !! Thus leaving me with 2 options; 1. Remove transmission just to change the oil (get right on that) 2. Remove exaust, just to change oil. You have to love american engineering. I have never been a Jeep guy. Infact, this is the 1st one I have ever owned. Loving it so far ! lol. CHRYSLER W T F !!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Rock God

I've been putting off on doing mine for this reason. Where did you get the oil? I've looked everywhere locally (except the dealer) for oil that meets the specs, but no dice.

BIG RED JEEP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Rock God

go get a set of drain plug sockets (they are pretty cheap) then take the one that fits, and cut the end of it off (the part that goes into the drain plug - basically removing the part that attaches to the socket wrench). then stick the part that you cut off into the drain plug and use a wrench to turn it.

did that make any sense?

this doesn't keep you from making a mess, but it isn't too bad, and it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Rock God

all you need is a small 1/2 bolt with 2 nuts on the end. just grind the bolt head down a bit so it fits. If you have a good hardware store you might be able to a metric size to fit with out grinding.

.[___]

(OllllllO)
{}--o{}
post #5 of 13 Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Granite Guru

Use a piece of heavy plastic wrap & make a bib, that way it spills over the top, and into a drain pan. Who makes the 6spd tranny for us?

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #6 of 13 Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Rock God

I think I rember hearing germany could be wrong

.[___]

(OllllllO)
{}--o{}
post #7 of 13 Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Granite Guru

Hows about the clear non hypoid fluid? Like surgical syrup! My fluid is clear as mineral oil.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #8 of 13 Old 08-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8T2W8T View Post
I've been putting off on doing mine for this reason. Where did you get the oil? I've looked everywhere locally (except the dealer) for oil that meets the specs, but no dice.
you can use Syncromesh. you can get it at any auto parts store. i bought a tool on ebay to get at the drain plug. use a garbage can lid (upside down) over your used oil pan to catch the fluid.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Rock God

I've got to check and possibly change my fluid and I have been dreading it. Who honestly puts an exhaust pipe underneath a drain plug. Idiots.

Oh well I still love my JK. Horrible drain plug position, leaks, and all.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #10 of 13 Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

took the two nuts off the rear trans mounts and jacked the trans up some to clear a real short socket.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophvytoy View Post
I went to change the tranny oil in my 09 rubicon over to synthetic the other day and realized the exaust runs right under the plug ! WTF !! Thus leaving me with 2 options; 1. Remove transmission just to change the oil (get right on that) 2. Remove exaust, just to change oil. You have to love american engineering. I have never been a Jeep guy. Infact, this is the 1st one I have ever owned. Loving it so far ! lol. CHRYSLER W T F !!!!!!!!
X2!! Total B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrash View Post
all you need is a small 1/2 bolt with 2 nuts on the end. just grind the bolt head down a bit so it fits. If you have a good hardware store you might be able to a metric size to fit with out grinding.
Prolly a metric bolt that takes a 12mm wrench. Just guessing it might be an M8. Take your 12mm wrench into the parts store and get a bolt that fits it.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy BJ70 LandCruiser. Winched, bumpered, 35ed, locked, slidered, dieseled.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
post #12 of 13 Old 08-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Rock God

vice grips ... just on the lower portion so as to not ruin the thread...

... on and royal purple
post #13 of 13 Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here's what I did...
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11755

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode