My 4WP Experience - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My 4WP Experience

Sent this to 4 Wheel Parts in a message on Facebook, I was hoping to get some sort of response still have not heard from them. This all occurred at their Mesa, AZ store. Figured I'd share.

I wanted to write and share with you an experience I had with your Mesa, AZ location. I am not sure if it was a lack of knowledge of the staff or if they were trying not to actually do what needed to be done.

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler and after doing a tire rotation I started getting a shimmy whenever I went over 40-50 MPH, after reading info online and making my own adjustments I came to the conclusion that I needed my tires balanced. I bought 3 out of 5 tires from this location (the other 2 were replaced after an accident), so I took my Jeep to this location to take advantage of the balancing that I was told was covered under the warranty I paid $80 per tire for. I assumed I would just pay the difference in the cost for the other 2 tires to be balanced.

When I got there I had an associate helping me I believe his name was Cesar, but I could be wrong. I explained to him the situation and that I most likely need my tires balanced. He took the Jeep back and after 30 minutes of waiting, someone came out and told me that my tires do not need to be balanced and that they are perfectly fine, but my passenger ball joints needed to be replaced. I took their advice, scheduled an appointment for that next weekend.

The next weekend I took my Jeep back and dropped it off. After they "fixed" it I left the store and within a mile of leaving the building I started getting the same shimmy. The next business day I called and explained to Cesar that I was still getting the shimmy and he asked me to bring it back the next weekend.

I took it back and dropped it off, I explained to him again that they never actually balanced the tires, and that I think this would be the issue that would be causing the shimmy. About 45 minutes after I dropped off the Jeep Cesar called me and stated that it was the steering dampener that was causing the issue and they automatically replaced it without consulting me first. He said they should have caught it before so they were only going to charge me labor. I had read on multiple websites that issues like this are not at all caused by the steering dampener and that is something I could have replaced on my own. When I got there I asked Cesar if they had test drove it before and after he said they did and that it was fixed. I paid the labor and went on my way.

Again within the first mile I started getting the same exact shimmy.

After this time I decided I would take my Jeep to Discount Tire to have them Balance the tires as I had originally thought this was the issue. 45 minutes later I was on my way and the shimmy was gone.

I am not claiming to be a mechanic, but I do most of my own work on my Jeep. The fact that the associates did not listen to my recommendations wasted my time, and your labor and you possibly lost out on some parts that they replaced. I am extremely disappointed with my experience because I believed it could have been resolved on the first or even 2nd time I came to the store.

Since I had to pay $220 to Discount Tire to Balance my tires since I did not buy the tires there, it has made me even more regretful for doing business with your company.

I will no longer be having any maintenance done to my Jeep at 4 Wheel Parts, nor will I be buying any parts from you because of this. Also I will discourage anyone of my Jeep friends from using you to do maintenance. I am a member of both JKowners forum and JK-forum websites, so my experience will be shared.

I hope this situation can be addressed.

Joshua
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

I don’t trust them, plain and simple. They are as bad as dealer’s Service Department. They hire incompetent and lazy people. Never had any work done there. I don’t trust anyone but my buddy and I to work on my vehicles. As for tire balancing, I would have went to a “Hispanic” Tire Shop…Llantera whatever..

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #3 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Granite Guru

$220 to balance 5 tires !!!!!!! Wow, I thought I was cheep when I complained about $80 for 5 tires at Americas Tires.

Glad you got it sorted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
$220 to balance 5 tires !!!!!!! Wow, I thought I was cheep when I complained about $80 for 5 tires at Americas Tires.

Glad you got it sorted out.
I'm guessing road force balanced its more expensive

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #5 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Rock God

some places rape you with offroad tires, some don't. the shops near my apt wanted 50$ a tire to mount and balance. (I live in boston). a shop up near my parents place took the tires apart, cleaned em and removed the bb's, mounted and balanced for 15$ a tire. and they laughed when I asked if they could handle a 37! just have to find the right shop
post #6 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 05:13 PM
V8 dreams

don't ya hate it when people don't listen to ya!

and it makes no sense to me that from reading forums, we are better equipped to fix shimmies than some offroad shops and dealerships

2010 Silver JKU
post #7 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Granite Guru

In Frederick, MD at Butler Tire southside they mounted and balanced my 37 trail grapplers on stock wheels. for $12 a tire. $400 installed and free rotations for life! haha

2007 JKU Rubicon "Mo"
37's
3" TF Lift
post #8 of 20 Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Granite Guru

Dirty Laundry is that way -> https://www.jkowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

As to 4WP. Its highly variable in my experience. I've had great luck with the guys here in Albuquerque and with one experience with the Vegas 4WP. Not so good with some Texas locations.

Whether it was the cause of your shimmy or not - I'd bet 75% of the road going JK's from around that year model need new balljoints.

And finally $220 bucks for balancing seems steep even for roadforce (which none of my local Discount Tires do).
post #9 of 20 Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Walmart will mount and lifetime balance tires for $6.25.

I ould never, ever, everpay $220 to have my tires balanced. You should be sending a hateful Facebook message to Discount Tire as well.

And just because your tires needed to be balanced doesn't mean you didn't need new ball joints. They do fail pretty early and pretty regulalrly on our JKs.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #10 of 20 Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Jesus Christ. 220 dollars to balance 5 tires? I hope they have you a lot of lube with that.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #11 of 20 Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

It seems like it varies, depending on which Discount you go to as well. When I got those 16" Jeep steelies and 225/75-16 tires for my Jeep trailer the previous owner had pulled the TPMS and shit canned the wheel weights in the process. When I took the two wheels and tires over to my local Discount, they charged me 15 bucks a piece. Seems like the pricing is all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have a 4WP story...I will not share as to not hijack the thread, but yeah I have not been impressed and I refuse to use them even if they are the lowest price, best shipping, etc...there is nothing that a business can do once they lose the trust of a buyer...good on you OP for giving everyone a heads up!!

Rodney
Famous Last Words
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"
post #13 of 20 Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Rock God

They seem to be the go to place for new jeep owners. Always mailing out their catalogs. Cheap lifts, Chinese parts, etc. Most later move on to independent shops, quality stuff, and mailorder for parts.

Not sure how they could be your cheapest ResQ? Maybe for Chinese stuff. They never come close to Northridge for stuff I run. Not too mention Dave and the guys have what I want in stock and actually have real answers for product questions.

Last edited by highwayman; 07-16-2013 at 07:44 PM.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
They seem to be the go to place for new jeep owners. Always mailing out their catalogs. Cheap lifts, Chinese parts, etc. Most later move on to independent shops, quality stuff, and mailorder for parts.

Not sure how they could be your cheapest ResQ? Maybe for Chinese stuff. They never come close to Northridge for stuff I run. Not too mention Dave and the guys have what I want in stock and actually have real answers for product questions.
I have given Dave from Northridge4x4 a ton of money, and with the experience I gained from building my TJ I will be giving Dave a bunch more money for my JK, but there were actually a couple items that I bought for my TJ that I wanted local service for in Texas and they had good prices. I don't use them anymore because of my experience but at the time it seemed like a reputable company.

Rodney
Famous Last Words
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"
post #15 of 20 Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Rock God

I dunno, 4wd always has the best prices for me when I'm getting quotes for stuff. not off their website, but if you hit up the rep on here he will get you a good quote. didn't have any trouble with returns either.

but from all the horror stories, I certainly wouldn't bring my jeep to a 4wp for work!
post #16 of 20 Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Rock God

You go there for parts, not install service... because in the world of retail:
ONE MUST COMPENSATE FOR THE OTHER.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Rock God

I made the mistake of having them instal my gears back in Denver. Took three trips back in to get the lockers working right again. Third trip I told them to send a tow truck to com get the jeep because I was tired or driving almost a hour each way while they were screwing around trying to get it right.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #18 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

I had two bad experiences at 4WP in El Paso, TX. I decided to take my business elsewhere. I created a thread about the first bad experience. The second was their price matching policy. They stated they would match anyone's price on the lift kit I was looking at when I gave them the RCO price they backed out. Two strikes and they are out!

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Rock God

They did my lockers and gears. Never used them for anything else. 35k miles on the lockers snd gears with no problem.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #20 of 20 Old 09-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Rock God

The 4 wheel parts in south Houston by Katy couldn't get the gears right in my f350 either. I traded the truck in because of them and left the invoice from them so the next owner could fight with them

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode