Dont buy from T&T customs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Dont buy from T&T customs

So i bought i thought was a quality set of rock sliders from t&t customs. Its been less than 6 months and they are already rusting through. I garage my jeep and wash it regularly. I contacted them and they wont do anything for me this is bad business. I put on wheels, a lift, and teraflex carrier (all black powder coat) all at the Attachment 68033Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370627370.108032.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  111.6 KBsame time and they are all pristine

13 JKU SportS white. Mods to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

How about moving this to dirty laundry.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Or better yet chit chat.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22

There is no modified information in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-rubi View Post
So i bought i thought was a quality set of rock sliders from t&t customs. Its been less than 6 months and they are already rusting through. I garage my jeep and wash it regularly. I contacted them and they wont do anything for me this is bad business. I put on wheels, a lift, and teraflex carrier (all black powder coat) all at the Attachment 68033Attachment 68034same time and they are all pristine
This recent thread didn't go to well for someone with your (very similar) complaint.

You should have added to that for more impact, less clutter, and keeping threads in the right spot. I see TECH up there... not "Vaginal Sand Washing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

EDIT ^^^ Oh look an existing thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
How about moving this to dirty laundry.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Or better yet chit chat.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22

There is no modified information in here.
It's not chit-chat material. Just sayin'. Don't perpetuate that behavior.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Garage

Moved to DL

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #6 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM

Well at least its in the right spot now.

I really don't think you are going to get any sympathy here. They make some awesome shit for the JK. So go get the shit blasted and powdercoated and call it a day.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
It's not chit-chat material. Just sayin'. Don't perpetuate that behavior.

Quote:
Quote:
post #8 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Garage

I would normaly agree with the masses here... but 6 months old and rusting sucks.

Fairly sure T&T aren't doing the powder coat themselves... they may need a chat with their coating guy especially if there is any sort of history with this.

But really, what do you want them to do... you really want to take them off and ship them back over this??

Rattle can and call it a day, or better yet take them off and bring them to local LINE-X guy and never see rust in that spot again.

(Full disclosure.. I work for LINE-X )

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #9 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Nerf bar and LineX.... great way to throw money in the toilet.
post #10 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Do they salt the roads in MA?

Risk the Roll.
tm
post #11 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Nerf bar and LineX.... great way to throw money in the toilet.
Well on the top side you wont have issues...

Nothing is going to hold up to dragging across the rocks.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #12 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Unfortunately powdercoating isn't a dipping process which ensures material that is -unseen- is covered. You bought a powdercoated part and got it, expecting the material that is within that gap between the two parts to be coated/sealed/rust-proofed with the powdercoating process is unreasonable.

They're rock sliders, go drag your powdercoated rock sliders on rocks and scratch them up..like you should!

It's not bad business...it's corrosion, it costs this nation billions of dollars every year. It's extremely hard to control, it's unreasonable to consider powdercoating as a "100% rust-proof coating of the part".

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Unfortunately powdercoating isn't a dipping process which ensures material that is -unseen- is covered. You bought a powdercoated part and got it, expecting the material that is within that gap between the two parts to be coated/sealed/rust-proofed with the powdercoating process is unreasonable.

They're rock sliders, go drag your powdercoated rock sliders on rocks and scratch them up..like you should!

It's not bad business...it's corrosion, it costs this nation billions of dollars every year. It's extremely hard to control, it's unreasonable to consider powdercoating as a "100% rust-proof coating of the part".
IDK man.... I have had parts powdercoated locally for my bikes and have never seen anywhere near the issues I see with aftermarket jeep parts that have been coated (and those bike parts have been out in a marine environment for years... as much as ten for some parts!). Something tells me either they have a better process in California or the aftermarket is not giving us what we pay for. The former is impossible with our inflated regulations.... the latter is nearly impossible to prove.

Never the less.... these are sliders. They should be getting scratched up and abused. They will not hold any coating for long. And I think you should all do what I do.... stop buying coated parts and just invest in a case of krylon.
post #14 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Rock God

Too bad black is like the new chrome and those companies who try to make a functional product at a reasonable price have to deal with stuff like this.

At this price point what do you expect? You want pretty? You want rugged? Either is fine but don't expect them both at this price. Why do you think the price of the premier sliders is about double? Its because those companies really do try to offer both AND have to budget for the whinny bitches who call and expect a handjob because whinny bitch's "super extreme duty rock basher rails or bumper" had an ugly little blemish from shipping or handling. Why do you think so many now only offer product in bare steel? Answer: history of dealing with whinny cry babies.

They're rock rails, get a can of paint.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #15 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have to tell you I agree with the OP that this is a manufacturing defect.

I did not see the other post about T&T rails rusting before now. But reading that I also agree that that rail had defective powder coating as well.

Not everyone buys their Jeep to bang on rocks. And for those that don't, they should not be expected to need to get under their rig with a wire brush, flap wheel and can of Rustoleum to keep their premium hard-coated parts from getting rusty. To you and me that might be normal maintenance, but not to some guy who's biggest off-road adventure is a picnic on the beach or a campsite at the end of a graded, unpaved road.

This is not normal and should not be expected behavior for powder-coated parts. Unless the owner has banged or scraped through the coating, these rails should not rust.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #16 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

^ agreed.. If they rusted in areas that were dragged on, no biggie.. Rust coming through powder coat on top, with no rock rash is weak.. Maybe they should just ship them bare..

More Cowbell
post #17 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
IDK man.... I have had parts powdercoated locally for my bikes and have never seen anywhere near the issues I see with aftermarket jeep parts that have been coated (and those bike parts have been out in a marine environment for years... as much as ten for some parts!). Something tells me either they have a better process in California or the aftermarket is not giving us what we pay for. The former is impossible with our inflated regulations.... the latter is nearly impossible to prove.

Never the less.... these are sliders. They should be getting scratched up and abused. They will not hold any coating for long. And I think you should all do what I do.... stop buying coated parts and just invest in a case of krylon.
Yep seen it at work with one of the powder coaters we've used. Could be bad surface prep. If we sent them a part with cutting oil residue, weld slag and/or rust we would receive a powder coated product as such. Only after some parts had similar issues did we find out there was an extra charge for them to clean and prepare the surfaces for coating.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #18 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Unfortunately powdercoating isn't a dipping process
^^^ This

Actually it's not that easy to get to some spots depending on the design.

Many years ago GOBI had to figure out how to solve this with the welding on the mesh part of their racks. Basically if you have little crevasses your are eventually going to get rust unless you can get some paint in there.

This is how they did it so the paint gets where it needs to be. Actually I've had people complain thinking it's a mistake or bad weld, but it's not, it's the only way to ensure the paint gets in there.

Name:  03964853.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  63.4 KB

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #19 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
^^^ This

Actually it's not that easy to get to some spots depending on the design.

Many years ago GOBI had to figure out how to solve this with the welding on the mesh part of their racks. Basically if you have little crevasses your are eventually going to get rust unless you can get some paint in there.

This is how they did it so the paint gets where it needs to be. Actually I've had people complain thinking it's a mistake or bad weld, but it's not, it's the only way to ensure the paint gets in there.

Attachment 68037
And then when the metal gets stretched and deformed from use, it will rattle like crazy.

I'll take the rust.

Risk the Roll.
tm
post #20 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Granite Guru

Done!

2011 Green JK Rubicon Unlimited Purchased 10/18/2011
Previous Jeeps include a 99 TJ Rock Crawler, 74 CJ-5, 06 TJ Rubicon, and a 2001 TJ

post #21 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
And then when the metal gets stretched and deformed from use, it will rattle like crazy.

I'll take the rust.
Nope. GOBI have racks over 10 years old with that design with no rattles or rust. It depends on the application I guess. I had one on an H2 for 4 years 03-07 and totally overloaded it multiple times and it was fine. Actually my wife drove it into an underground parking lot once with a 37" spare strapped to the top of the rack. She drove in the exit avoiding the thing that jungles if you are too high (don't ask ) and hit a beam at some speed. It ripped the spare off and the only damage was a bend on the rear bar which gobi fixed for me. Well that and the guy behind her almost crapped his pants

Just saying there are ways to solve issues but I tend to think of sliders are a ware part anyways.

/Hijack. Sorry

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #22 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

It seems to depend on the part. For instance my rocker body armor. A powdergun can get to 100% of the surface of the part, all edges, within all holes, back, top, bottom etc. A part like this is several parts, welded together [with voids inside of bare metal] and then powdercoated. It can only cover what the gun can shoot.

Being right around the weld area could just be that metal right under the weld, that is unavoidably bare, had it's millscale/oil off of it and it will corrode sooner.

I don't specialize in coating processes at all, so my thoughts are nothing but what I would expect to be the cause and not fact.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #23 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Garage

<shrug>

Had my EVO sliders shipped bare... I took them to my local powder guy who is known for quality work and there isnt any rust on them anywhere in the last 3 years.

Whenever I gouge them I spray them with this stuff...

I use it for my bumpers and armor as well.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #24 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
It seems to depend on the part. For instance my rocker body armor. A powdergun can get to 100% of the surface of the part, all edges, within all holes, back, top, bottom etc. A part like this is several parts, welded together [with voids inside of bare metal] and then powdercoated. It can only cover what the gun can shoot.

Being right around the weld area could just be that metal right under the weld, that is unavoidably bare, had it's millscale/oil off of it and it will corrode sooner.

I don't specialize in coating processes at all, so my thoughts are nothing but what I would expect to be the cause and not fact.
In cases like that, I would expect a hot dip galvanizing would be the only way to prevent rust. Can still be powder coated too.

Risk the Roll.
tm
post #25 of 40 Old 06-08-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I own a finishing business we have been in business since 1955. I have a lot of experience in costings. Powder coating applied correctly w the correct pretreat should hold up for years without rusting. Bottom line its poor quality control and t&t offered 0 help or customer service. I have a bunch of other items on the jeep that are powder coated the same time and have no corrosion issues.

13 JKU SportS white. Mods to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode